on jewish fasting
hi jewish tumblr friends! we have fast days for the 17th of Tammuz (July 5th) and Tish’a B’av (July 25th). for those of us (especially sick and disabled folks) who will be fasting, I wanted to throw out so reminders:
- first and foremost, you can define this fast for yourself. if you aren’t healthy enough to do a full fast, you can modify it: only drinking liquids, eliminating sweets and chocolate, etc.
- keep yourselves safe! we are in the middle of summer, if you start to feel sick please drink water. remember, we are commanded to break fasts to keep ourselves alive.
- if you aren’t drinking water keep physical activity to a minimum and pls try and stay somewhere cooler.
- it’s ok to drink water to take meds
- it’s ok to eat if you have meds you have to take with food
- if you’re sick or disabled, it might be a good idea to ask a doctor before fasting.
i hold you all in my hearts and i hope your weeks of mourning go well.