“There was this one model in French Elle. I can’t imagine what it must be like to be her. She was brunette with big lips and […] she was so beautiful; and the choices she must have. Oh, I would give it all up just to have been born that way because her life will be so easy. She won’t have to think, and men will fall into her lap and…It’s all unfair and I don’t want to even write it. It will never change, and no one wants to admit it but being thin and pretty is the best thing a woman can be.”
"Oh, come on Nate, when have you ever been happy?" "Wow, the gloves are off today, aren’t they?" "Well, I am feeling frisky, you know how I get in the summer." "Yeah, I do." "Well, you won’t have to witness any of it. I’m locking myself away in the Hamptons house, it’s a summer to reflect alone." "I could not agree more. I just need to take a break away from everything and everyone." "Hey, if you wanna reflect alone together, I’ll be around." "What are you up to now?"
Scandal Review, Episode 415, The Testimony of Diego Munoz
Well this was a really strange episode for me. Overall it was ok, but the funny thing is, it had a lot of wonderful, strong, emotional moments, and those alone should have been enough to make it better than just ok, but somehow, all the parts just didn’t knit together like they should, despite the beautiful scenes and stories within the episode,
Anyway, let’s do this thing.
What I Hated
Once again, he was the most pointless character in the episode.
WHAT I LOVED
1. Susan Ross: “Well uh, anyhoo, so that just happened”
I died for Susan Ross at that point. Died. For. Her.
Then I laughed, and freaking laughed. Shit, that mess was funny.
2. Olivia’s flashbacks while sat on the floor of her apartment, drinking cheap white wine, and wielding a gun.
Somebody call the police! Baby girl ain’t right! She was drinking white wine y’all!
3. Olivia: ”I was kidnapped and held hostage by a team of mercenaries”
Cyrus is the worst. How are you going to ask your friend to work for you when she’s going through so much? I swear, I’m so mad that he even rang her, like bitch get the entire fuck out of here.
4. Rose: ”Are you the nice lady that looks in from time to time on Lois?”
Ahhhh, poor Liv, yet another thing to feel guilty about. Can my girl catch a break or what? Those flashbacks she had of Lois were very disturbing to me.
5. Rose: “Lo calls me every morning to tell me what she had for breakfast. We meet for lunch. We power walk in the park, we take turns cooking dinner. We go way back. I know Lois like I know me, and I haven’t heard a word from her in three weeks. I went to the police, and they said maybe she went on vacation. Lo and I go on vacation in August. I told the police that, then they said, maybe she needed some time alone. Look, this is her wallet, it was right there on the kitchen counter. Now what kind of time alone could she afford without her wallet?. Something’s happened. Something’s not right.”
I didn’t really notice this monologue the first time I watched the episode, but it means so much now that I know what they were to each other. More on that later.
6. Huck: It’s good to leave the house, have a routine.”
Huck knows. He really knows.
7. Olivia: ”Lois is dead, they dumped her somewhere. The kidnappers took us out of the building in an ambulance. They shot Lois, duck-taped me, put me in a body bag, then put Lois’s dead body in the bag on top of me to act as a decoy.”
The fact that Liv was so matter-of-fact about recounting what had happened to her, hurt my soul.
8. Huck: “She came in, that’s something.”
Is it though Huck?
9. Holly: ”You owe me twenty bucks don’t you?”
Who’s the redhead? David’d new secretary? I like her!
You know what I loved about her the most? That she wasn’t TV skinny. She was a curvy girl, the likes of which you don’t often see in Hollywood unless they’re telling a story about a fat girl being bullied by skinny girls.
10. Kim handing over the B613 files to David.
Seriously girl, you’re a mother, and you haven’t thought about what having those kinds of files and disclosing them would do to your life? Girl, you do not love yourself enough.
Honestly, if it was me, the moment I read those files, I’d just pretend I’d never seen them in my life before. Deny, deny, deny. I certainly wouldn’t be taking them to no attorney general, putting my black ass in the line of fire.
11. David: “Your husband is?” Kim: “Diego Munoz”
Wow, so Huck’s real name is Diego? Quite a few people called it on Tumblr, but it still seems odd for Huck to have a real name. One that’s not Huck. I mean…
12. News anchor: “The laugh heard round the world”
This will never be funny to me. Hey, even Jimmy Kimmel got in on the act.
13. Leo: "Let’s start with gay marriage." Susan: “That’s easy, who doesn’t love a gay wedding” Leo: “You Susan, you”
So many lols. Poor Susan. She totally screams Democrat to me, but then we have Fitz who’s about as Republican as Rosie O’Donnell…
14. Cyrus: "You date him? Really Red, that turns you on?”
Cyrus Beene, queen of mean who happens to be marrying a prostitute but I’m aschleep tho. And so damned shady.
As much chemistry as Abbeo have - honestly, I found myself thinking the same thing, even though I quite like them together, I don’t want this to be a long term thing. It’s odd….
15. Leo “We are not going to lose this.”
Leo still feeling salty as fuck about not walking Sally Langston into the Oval Office.
16. David: "Feels like a movie. I’m sitting there and a woman comes in and says the single most terrifying sentence I’ve ever heard. I have B613 files, I have b613 files. I see dead people, we’re going to need a bigger boat."
So many lols at David freaking out. He literally has the backbone of a jellyfish.
17. Huck: “He’s me. I’m Diego Munoz.”
Oh god. Now everybody knows…
18. Leo: "What are you gonna do? What are you gonna do. What are you gonna do?" Susan: “I quit!”
Leo does the most here. There was no finesse involved in prepping Susan at all. What kind of fixer are you if you don’t realize that different people need handling differently? Susan didn’t need tough love, she needed clear instructions, and asking her to fake it was never gonna work. Leo desperately needed to dial it back a little. Poor Susan just couldn’t take it anymore. I’d have quit too.
19. Kim: "I am sorry if I overstepped, but I am on your side. I believe you now.”
Oh Kim. She had a point, but damned, I just couldn’t risk trying to expose a government shadow group, that specialize in torture and murder. I mean, you don’t have to be an astrophysicist to work out what that would mean for your well-being.
20. Leo: “Maybe she’s not the right person for the job?” Abby: “Or maybe you’re not? You’re fired”
Yesss! Leo was truly terrible with Susan. Although, maybe firing your boyfriend just before bed wasn’t the best thing?
21. Rose: “I know what we’re dealing with here miss Pope, I know she didn’t just get lost. I know she’s gone. I can feel it. But I still need to know what happened.” Olivia: “You have a key to her apartment, you’re her power of attorney, the two of you had a routine, an entire life. Together. But you were just…friends.” Rose: “Well maybe a bit more than that” Olivia: “But you didn’t live together.” Rose: “We met at sixteen. When her parents realized how we felt about each other, they picked up and moved her out of state. I couldn’t blame them. That was sixty years ago. It was hard enough being black, let alone black and gay.” Olivia: “I can only imagine” Rose: “I never stopped loving her. Even when she got married and had a whole other life without me. When John died, she wrote me a letter, I was on a plane an hour later. But no, no, I never moved in. She kept that damned place way too hot.” Olivia: I’m going to so my best to bring her back to you, but Rose, if somehow I can’t, I don’t want you to be waiting forever.” Rose: “I waited over forty years for my Lois, Miss Pope. Believe me, I can wait a bit longer.”
Oh I loved this scene so much. So much
I couldn’t help but draw parallels with Olivia and Fitz. Was this some kind of message to the fans? Is Shonda trying to tell us to hang in there?
Did any of you suspect that Rose and Lois were anything other than best friends? I can’t say that I did. Not at all. But wow, it was so touching, and way to go Shonda for even introducing this story line. It’s not something that’s tackled everyday on TV. If ever. When was the last time you watched anything on TV about old gay couples?
Rose was of a generation where it was hard enough being black, but being black and gay? But yet she didn’t give up on her and Lois. She waited for her because she loved her, there was nobody else that would do for her. I loved that she didn’t even seem to think of her waiting for Lois as a sacrifice, she just seemed so clearly determined to be with the woman she loved. And getting to know Lois through Rose, she painted a picture of two people who loved each. Who had loved each other through the most challenging of times. Who wouldn’t want to root for that?
Surely this entire scene was some kind of message for Olivia? Maybe she’s going to eventually ask herself how long she’s willing to wait for love. True love, not the boots-in-the-air thing that she has with The Human Vibrator. There have been so many Olitz parallels this season so far, so many moments that hark back to Liv and Fitz and their relationship. So many questions. If Olivia had really chosen herself, why are we getting bombarded with all these Olitz-isms? OK, we know why, because Shonda Rhimes is an emotional terrorist.
22. Abby: "You won’t even have to set foot in the White House I promise.
Everybody and their dog loves to come to Olivia with their problems, I wish they’d see how much she’s struggling. Maybe Abby does see, but she must know how much being involved with the White House takes out of her.
23. Abby: “You’re not doing this for him, you’re doing this for me and for Susan Ross, and for you. Just because I don’t work at OPA doesn’t mean we don’t talk. Huck says, you carry a gun round inside your apartment.”
And Abby manages to win me round again. I have to say, I really love how well the writers have developed this relationship. I love how their friendship has finally matured and grown into so much more than it was when Abby worked for Olivia. It’s been a really fantastic to see their dynamic change, despite their mini betrayals of each other in the past.
24. Susan: “I don’t want to turn out a soulless monster like that Leo Burgen”
Lol. Did you all peep that look on Abby’s face? Surely this relationship can’t last more than three minutes longer? I can’t really stand David, but I think Abby deserves way better than Leo. He’ll always be sleazy to me I’m afraid. Although, I can’t deny that they’re hot together.
25. Olivia: “It’s ok to be afraid. Sometimes the fear keeps us safe, sometimes it holds us back.”
Didn’t that remind you of Fitz’s 211 speech about fear being what makes us human? Ma feels…
26. Susan: “You don’t know, that’s the truth. It’s not like selecting a combat strategy, or deciding whether or not to launch a nuclear weapon. It’s not something anyone can practice. The world is changing everyday. Like anyone else sitting behind that desk in the Oval Office, I’d have to take all of the information from the brilliant people around me, process it, and make a smart, thoughtful decision. And that’s what I’ve been doing my entire life, making smart decisions. That’s the skill that’s brought me here before you today, to this very moment. So if being smart and informed, and and thoughtful is the job requirement here, all I can say is, I haven’t failed yet.”
Go Susan! I can’t wait to see how her relationship with Fitz grows. He desperately needs an ally who isn’t constantly trying to steal his job, or undermine him, or manipulate him.
27. Fitz: “So the senate hates me?”
Dude, you took the country to war for reasons that nobody truly understands, what were you expecting?
28. Fitz: “Does Olivia know that the president of the United States does not beg?”
Erm, Fitz, Baby, that’s kinda what you’ve been doing from the moment we met you. Begging. Olivia. To have you. To marry you. Yeah, you beg alright. I’m not mad about it, I’m just saying.
29. Olivia: “It wasn’t the war, it was the way you went about it. One minute you say we’re never going into West Angola, then three days later US soldiers are dying on their beaches, a week after that, you change your mind again and you bring the troops home. Never mind the Democrats, you made a mockery of Democracy.”
Olivia, Darling, I’m going to give you a pass because PTSD, however the sole reason that Fitz is even in the White House is because youmade a mockery of democracy, and if Fitz wasn’t so mindful of your feelings, he’d use that comeback, because it’s surely the truth.
30. Fitz: "You know why I did it"
Oh Fitz, even my neighbor’s dog knows why you went to war, but oh the feels. And the look on Abby and Cyrus’ face, awkward much?
Guys,can we talk about how much chemistry these two people have without even saying a word? I had so many feels about this one small, tiny moment.
And can we all admire the fact that Fitz simply has no fucks to give when it comes to who’s in the room when he wants to reach Olivia? I am going down with this ship y’all.
31. Olivia: “Go to the Hill and beg them to forgive you. Otherwise you’re gonna lose the Democrats and Susan Ross.”
Soooo…..Is Olivia really telling Fitz that he needs to beg for her forgiveness? I’m not a fan of that idea at all, because at the end of the day, this is the guy that she fell in love with. This is the guy that she broke all her rules for. He’s idealistic and romantic, and he’d burn the world for her, we’ve seen that for four seasons, and so has she, so she knows that leaving her to die at the hands of the hostage takers wasn’t ever going to be a viable option for him. The man risked his entire presidency to help her terrorist mother, by flying her out of the country. He was never going to let her die, and Olivia knows that, and yes, she bears the guilt of that. Fitz doesn’t have to beg for forgiveness, he did what he had to to make sure she lived, sure it wasn’t great for the country, but I’d have done the same thing and I can’t be mad that he chose to save her.
If Scandal writers allowed conversations to take place in a natural way, Fitz would have asked her what she would do in his position, if he was the one being held hostage. But alas, poor Fitz is never allowed to fight back against any of the women on the show. The writers need to let him have the last word sometimes. It’s wholly unnatural that he’s always the one with the door being slammed in his face.
Anyway, as usual she’s the only person that Fitz will listen to, so to the Hill he goes.
32. Javi: ”Hey Mom, can I still go to Jay’s house tonight?”
Seriously, can we talk about the fact that Kim didn’t seem overly concerned about letting her son out of her sight, after what had gone down that day? Also, he seemed perfectly fine after watching his dad kill a guy by slicing his neck open, using shards of glass from a broken window. Just saying.
33. Huck smiling.
Has that ever happened in the present day before?
34. Huck: "I had a choice, I made it, I chose Liv.”
35. David: “Was there a hole?” Huck: "Yes”
Oh this entire scene killed me.
36. Huck: "It was too dark to see. It was black, it was always black in the hole. I know it was small. 4ft 9ins on the East and west wall, 6ft, 3.5 inches north south. I measured it every day. It’s important to have a routine in the hole. If you don’t have a routine, you go crazy.
I measured the walls every day. I cleaned, I exercised, I took walks, a different country every day. You have to use your imagination, it’s all you have. I walked through 195 countries in the hole. I liked being in the mountains. I liked the snow. It’s important to have a routine. I ate lunch at the same time every day, even when I didn’t have any food, even though I had no idea what time it was. I built things in the afternoon, a bookshelf, a desk. I watched the sunset. That was important. I listened to the birds. I cleaned up files on my computer after dinner, then I sleet, I tried not to dream. And every morning after I woke up, I wrote a letter to my wife and son. And I folded the letter up and I put it on the book shelf and I measured the walls. It was a new day, it was dark, always dark, just pitch black, empty, it was small, you couldn’t move, you couldn’t see. I had my routine, this was my routine. This was how I would describe the hole.”
Oh, my. God. I sobbed. Seriously, Guillermo Diaz killed this scene.
Kim crying killed me too. Jasika, can you stay a while and teach Scott Foley how to emote? Just saying…
37. Susan Ross is confirmed as VP
38. Mellie: “Can you push back my eight o’clock, this is too good to miss”
I said it last week, but Susan Ross will be a formidable opponent and the fact that Mellie can’t see that is just another indication of how tunnel visioned this woman is.
39. Rose: “Miss Pope,me what happened to my Lois?”
40. Olivia: “They found her on a bench in Georgetown. Waterfront Park. The one next to the river, she had her head tilted up to the sun, her eyes were closed. The medical examiner said she’d had an aneurysm. One of the best ways to go, it happened so fast, there’s not a moment of pain.”
That was a sad and beautiful lie. And I was good with it.
41. ”You left way too soon Lo. Why did you have to go and do that? Now I’m alone, I’m all alone, Lo.”
42. Olivia’s flashbacks to the island:
As usual, Olivia’s flashbacks started with The Human Vibrator and ended with Fitz. I always feel like she’s always trying to put The Vibe into the picture because that’s who she should want, but the picture always changes and Fitz is there. If I was a more trusting sort, and if Shonda hadn’t let season three happen, I’d say that there’s only one way this can end, but I know better, so I’ll just be on my ship, with life vests and paddles at the ready, in case Shonda decides to capsize it for good.
1. Even on my second watch, I maintain that this was an uneven episode that should have been brilliant because of some of the emotional beats that it managed to draw out, however it wasn’t cohesive enough to warrant being anything other than just ok. It felt transitional, in a season where we seem to have had quite a few transitional episodes. No doubt things will ramp up, but sometimes it’s nice to not have everything being crazy balls all the time.
2. Was it me or was Olivia constantly checking her phone, waiting and watching for Fitz to call? She can’t have been waiting for Jake because her ass can have him any time.
3. I hate that B613 is still a thing on this show, however if this is a way to kill it dead for good, I’m all for it. It really needs to die this season. Like, really.
4. Why was The Human Vibrator so pressed about David going forward with trying to bring an end to B613, wasn’t that what he was trying to accomplish a few episodes ago?
Ugh. God I hate Jake.
5. Ooh child, things are gonna get easier now. Man I loved when that song came on, but are they gonna get easier now? I think maybe not. Certainly not for Olivia.
6. I’m so happy that Olivia threw out that freaking cushion, and she’s back on her drug of choice. Well - she’s not back, but at least she’s back to drinking expensive red wine and eating popcorn. Guys, it’s something.
7. I watched next week’s promo with Lena Dunham’s character, and actually, it looks like it’s going to be a fun episode. Also it looks like Liv is going on a date or being hit on in a bar, while the one-and-a- half men in her life drink to the fact that she doesn’t seem to give two fucks about either of them right now. Either that or they’re agreeing to bury the hatchet and let bygones be bygones. That would be nice. No more fighting over Olivia like she was a bone would be perfectly splendid.
8. I couldn’t give two fucks about the writers introducing Mellie’s sister, but I am interested to know whether they’re going to forget about her former DAR blue, old money background (as per episode 218), and turn her into a former trailer trash girl?
Anyway, bring on next episode! In the mean here are some Olitz and Jamie and Claire gifs to end this review with, it’s been a while…
So, it’s no great secret that I love the character Nibby from the webcomic Sister Claire and well just the comic in general! The two creators, summerlightning and yamino, are the most wonderful and talented people I’ve ever had the pleasure of having a conversation with. I’ve not got the words to describe how mind-blowing the stunning comic pages and the Missing Moments are. Check them out, and also their Patreon, it’s really neat!
Anyway, the main reason for this post is that I’ve written a little scene involving Oscar & Nib. Here ya go:-
one more episode to go and it’s the end. i’m not ready for this *cries*
anyway here are my random thoughts for this episode
as I watch
OMG WHERE IS THAT PART WHERE NAOKI DROPPED THE CUP? IT’S NOT IN THE LAST EPISODE! DON’T TELL ME IT’S ONE OF THE DELETED SCENES? I HATE THE PEOPLE WHO DID THIS! WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS
kotoko is panicking. what if the love of her life dies because of her? big props to miki honoka for this acting. anyway, it’s good thing moto-chan is here to calm her down
btw, I really love kotoko and moto-chan’s interactions. moto-chan is my favourite among kotoko’s friends ^__^
it’s just a broken leg LOL
furukawa yuki has a nice neck it’s begging to be kissed
nurse kotoko is here! honestly I’m half-happy and half-scared for naoki
broken leg, fatigue-induced anemia, sleep deprivation and malnutrition… most of this happen because of his love for kotoko. he forgot to take care of himself because of work and taking care of his wife. I approved. especially if you compared this to season 1. oh how much you change irie naoki.
“I’ll be your legs,” oh kotoko. will I ever find someone who will love me like kotoko does to naoki? this two, I want this kind of love, it’s beautiful
“patients must listen to the nurse” my mind is not wandering else where. nope. no its not. ahem would someone write a fic about this : D
mama irie is here w/ yuki and her future daughter in law.. also chris and kinchan is looks very very happy LOL
Idk why people find so amusing the idea of Zayn releasing stuff by his own. Is it bc of him being introvert? We all know he has been doing things with NB and the new friends he has met the past months. Your reaction towards this just show how selfish, bitter, immature and childish this fandom is. More when The Sun is pure shit. Anyways stop acting all hypocrite and shitting on Zayn like if you all really knew what is going behind the scenes. Yesterday all of you were ‘I love you Zayn and do whatever you like’ and now you all here being nasty af