On moving-in day, emotions are high, as is the radio, and
mostly everyone is sweating and/or in some kind of state of undress. Nursey,
who falls into both categories, as he is glistening and smelly as well as shirtless,
is busy carrying boxes up and down the Haus stairs. Having already transferred
all of Lardo’s stuff into the moving truck that is taking her, Holster’s, and
Ransom’s stuff to their newly leased apartment in Boston, Nursey is now
transferring his own things from the carts the that he and Dex borrowed from
Faber that are traditionally used for moving around large amounts of equipment
to his and Dex’s new room.
His and Dex’s. It’s stupid, but there’s a little
fluttering, not unlike the butterflies that Nursey finds to cliché to
reference, in the middle of his chest at the thought of theirs. Even if it’s a shared room. Even if it’s a forcibly shared
room. Nursey, who is now painfully familiar with the tango of unrequited love,
takes what he can get.
He sets down the newest box next to a couple of other ones
on the desk that Shitty left, Lardo kept, and is no handed down to Dex and
Nursey. They managed a pretty good set up, considering that the room really is
meant for only one person. One bed, which Shitty had pushed up against the
right-hand corner when you first enter the room, has been put back from where
Lardo had it up against the wall of windows. It’s a raised bed, the same one
Shitty used, and it had been salvaged from the basement and cleaned and checked
thoroughly for weaknesses prior to being installed by Dex. Where the closet
used to be, but now is just an alcove-type thing due to a mishap with a
sledgehammer in Johnson’s frog year, houses the other bed. That bed takes up
the entire space of the alcove and is a cozy place to study. Nursey got dibs on
that one, simply because he and Dex decided that a drunk, clumsy Nursey would
never be able to get up the ladder to the raised bed. A desk is shoved next to
Dex’s bed and a dresser and a clothes rack have been squeezed in to make room
for their clothes.
Dex says that he’ll put up some shelves for their stuff in
the fall, but he wants to wait until he can get back home to get the wood. One
of his uncles runs a lumber yard and will give him a discount on planks, and
his part-time job at a hardware store up in Maine has an employee discount on
the various hardware that he needs (Nursey stopped listening after Dex started
mumbling to himself about bolt sizes. It was easier just to watch his lips move
It’s a good set up and they won’t be on top of each other
if they’re both in here at once. They’ll probably survive. They might even be
able to manage a few good memories. Nursey’s eyes catch on the slit in the
flooring, where a quarter rolled itself not three months earlier, and his
subconscious starts spewing musings of fate. His lips quirk into an unbidden
smile, just like they had that day. No, he hadn’t been able to conceal his
excitement at the thought of sharing a room with Dex. He had been incredibly disappointed
to learn that Ollie and Wicks had gotten the attic, and not just because that
had meant, at the time, that he and Dex would have to fight over Lardo’s dibs.
“Nursey, honey, come downstairs!” Bitty calls. Nursey
shakes himself and follows the voice down to the kitchen, where most of the
SMH, plus a few more, are congregating over an apple pie alamode because it is
fucking hot. Caitlin came over to
help move them in, so she and Chowder are sharing a piece of pie- fine, Nursey thinks, but doesn’t say.
The season’s over; no more fines. Dex had gotten his dryer back in February and
everything Valentine’s Day entailed. Nursey had spent his birthday fining the
team right along with Dex, and then they watched Monty Python movies and ate
the birthday pie Bitty had made Nursey together on the couch. Nursey considered
it to be one of the best birthdays he’d ever had.
Aside from Chowder and Caitlin, most of the SMH couples
were present as well; Jack and Bitty, Lardo and Shitty, Ollie and Wicks, Ransom
and Holster (who weren’t dating, but everyone considered them a couple), and
Ford and her most recent drama girlfriend. Sadly, none of these girlfriends
stuck long. As well as the couples, Johnson had also come back to visit, and
Tango, Whiskey, and Whiskey’s lax bro friend, Baby Chad (who everyone had
agreed was kind of alright) were there to help move as well. It was a big job;
clearing out Lardo’s room and the attic and then moving all of the new tenants’
stuff in. Nursey’s stuff had taken the longest, boxes and boxes of books, so he’d
been left to finish up his own stuff alone as the rest of the guys set up the
stuff for a picnic.
Dex slides into place next to Nursey, offering him one of
the pink hard lemonades that Bitty had gotten everyone addicted to. Nursey
takes it with a small smile and marvels a bit at the similarities between the
color of the drink and Dex’s skin in the almost-summer heat.
“I have to set up some shelves and we’ll definitely need
more space for all your fancy hipster clothes, but I think it’ll be okay,” Dex
says, eyebrows pulling together seriously before smoothing out as he finishes the
sentence, offering Nursey a small smile.
“Hmm, yeah.” Nursey takes a sip of lemonade. He glances at
Dex and grins. “It might not suck.”
“Of course, you will have to keep your books from getting
underfoot,” Dex says, the tone he uses for their banter tinging his words
“And if I step on some kind of hardware thing, I’ll wake
you up with a bucket of water.” Nursey nods seriously. Dex nods back.
“Of course.” He takes a sip of his own drink. “And if you
try to talk to me while I’m tweaking over school work, I’ll put a live lobster
in your bed.”
Nursey can’t help but laugh at that one after all the
references to lobsters that he’s made Dex endure over the past two years. Dex
smiles back, arm paused halfway through the motion of bringing up the lip of
his bottle to his mouth, and it’s such a good look on him that Nursey can’t
help but sigh through his nose.
“Look!” Chowder cheers, smiling brightly and a little too
much- he’s probably hit the hard lemonade too. “ They’re getting along!”
The rest of the group laughs as Dex says, “Don’t get used
bet this’ll be the last time they get along until graduation,” Holster says,
grinning happily even though his cheeks are tear stained from earlier.
flips him off good-naturedly. Then he rolls his eyes, sharing it with Nursey,
as if to say, they’re ridiculous.
Then he grins, a bit of mischief in his eye, and Nursey takes this to mean, let’s prove them wrong.
good trans will fic ideas besides the usual “coming out” tale;
1) binder fashion show - will is the self proclaimed Binder Boy and buys every single binder design ever. its a good thing he lives at camp and has wealthy friends (nico - “your boyfriend should be your best friend” - and cecil) otherwise he’d be suffocated by debt
2) nico (or lover of your choice, though i myself am partial to a finely aged Solange TM) having to buy menstrual products and being a total weenie about it. please consider this. bonus: cashier jokes “for your girlfriend?” and he gets steely and protective and growls “my BOYfriend, actually” and leaves the store glaring at the cashier for assuming. bonus bonus bonus; dont use the term “feminine hygiene”. keep things as gender neutral as possible. bonus bonus; “menstruation… more like, MANstruation!! hahaha geddit nico, cuz im a dude? ….nico? neeks, where are you going, come laugh at my-”
3) beach day fic, because every anime needs a beach episode and pjo is my favorite anime, obviously. you get to have fun picking out beach wear, plus everyone gets to be cute and splash around. maybe will cant go into the water because he doesnt have one of the special binders and mentions this, or hes wearing a bikini top (“its my MANkini. wait is that already a thing”) with a tank top over it so you can see his Moobs TM. bonus if a monster attacks and everyone is ready to fight, but will (who has taken down HOW MANY?? enemies with a single whistle) just waves his hand like hes shooing a bug and a flash of sunlight cuts the huge creature in half. he then goes back to reclining in the sun, calling to nico/your lover of choice to “come back over here, baby, sit with meee~!! its so nice out today, isnt it?”
4) zombie apocalypse or just apocalypse au. will Refuses to bind with bandage and thus has visible boobs. you can vaguely mention he’s transgender then go back to the zombie punching and otherwise assorted badass violence
5) any fic at all. like above, all you gotta do is find a way to throw in “nah i didnt feel like binding today” or “ugh i have a boob itch” or “he/him please” or “will wore a tiny trans pride pin” etc. all you gotta do is mention that he is trans and he continues to be trans throughout the story. you dont gotta mention genitals or menstruation or even dysphoria at all. just throw the word trans in there somewhere and you done did it and im proud of you