The 100 Hellatus Survival Kit
Since I know all of us will be in various stages of mourning and death over the next 9ish months, here’s some fandoms to fling yourselves into to cope! (WARNING: There’s a lot of books..)
* = (post) apocalypse / dystopia setting
** = relationship dynamic reminiscent of bellarke
*** = both
Want to fantasize about the delinquents in space? This is basically the S5 au you need.
- kick ass space opera
- diverse af cast
- Nolden = Space Blarke (not kidding, this is what would’ve happened if she went to space)
I know I never shut up about this show, but it’s for a good reason. Are you sad about Bellarke and need a long ass show to invest yourself in? With a slow burn couple, built on trust and respect and support? LOOK NO FURTHER!
- government conspiracies
- sad space parents
- the longest slow burn that will renew your faith in blarke (its literally 7 years)
- 10 seasons worth of content so you won’t run dry
- MULDER AND SCULLY ARE LITERALLY BELLARKE I STG YOU CAN ASK HAILEE AND GRACE
Looking for another “diverse group of misfits that create their own family” to cry over?
- 8 people share a psychic link
- the bad government want to experiment on them
- the most diverse cast i stg (gay ships! trans characters! poc!)
- ships that will make you cry for 17 days
- so many people sleep on this so and i not qu(white) understand
How about another power couple leading a rag tag group of peeps through the apocalypse? (Yeah I’m talking about Richonne)
- zombie apocalypse
- i don’t think i really need to explain this
- but ana would literally kill me if i didn’t include them on this list
- richonne = bellarke material
You can thank Mik and April for this one. In case you’re wondering what’s in store for blarke next season, or if you’re wanting to imagine that reunion.
- DESMOND AND PENNY
- bunch a strangers plane crash on a magic island
- it’ll melt your brains (I’ve watched it twice and I’m still not sure i completely understand everything)
- but seriously ask mik about desmond x penny because she’ll make you cry about s5 blarke
Just want a cute feel good show with just enough angst and a ship that will cause you only minor pain?
- girl with a made up brain condition “stitches” into the minds of dead people to solve murders
- camsten gives me butterflies
- its just really cute
Honorable Mentions: *Attack on Titan, *Psycho Pass, The OA, ***Battlestar Galactica (I’m still crying about lee and starbuck ok?) *Firefly, Teen Wolf, Glitch, Agents of SHIELD, Roswell, *3%, *Falling Skies, American Gods (SUPPORT RICKY)
Stay with me here. How about a visually stunning movie about the people fighting monsters in giant robots? But with important character backstories, diversity, and Idris Elba?
- giant godzilla like monsters crawl out of the ocean and terrorize the world
- special pilots operate huge transformer like robots to fight them
- watch and just imagine blarke isn’t drift compatible (can’t relate)
- a sequel starring John Boyega
Still feeling that apocalypse vibe?
- group of old college friends try to ride out the apocalypse in a cabin
- its simple but dramatic
*Tomorrow, When the War Began (also a tv show and book series)
How about some Australian teenagers fighting back against a country on the brink of war and chillin’ in the outback?
- its basically Red Dawn in Australia
- its v dramatic
- based on the book series by John Marsden
I mean technically it was a mini series, but whatever. Down for the film version of Stephen King’s greatest work about the battle between good an evil across a pandemic ridden America?
- a virus kills almost everyone in literally a couple days
- survivors are called from all over to join either the good guys or the bad guys
- its much cooler than it sounds
- I’d recommend the book but its 1200 pages and I know y'all don’t have that motivation
Have a need for even more teenagers at the end of the world?
- political / nuclear apocalypse
- group of kids try to survive in the english hills or whatever
- ft. baby tom holland and a weird cousin relationship that i don’t get
- its still good though
Books (this is gonna be a long one)
lets get the obvious ones out of the way…
**Six of Crows duology by Leigh Bardugo
If y'all haven’t heard of this yet between me, Ana, and Delaney in the past month where have you been?
- ragtag (diverse) group of criminals misfits band together to pull of the ultimate heist
- lgbtq+ characters! characters oaf color! disabled characters!
- the ships will literally tear your actual heart out (*whispers* kanej)
A Darker Shade of Magic (and sequels) by VE Schwab
pretend to be shocked for a minute… are you in the market for a soul crushing series, with morally grey, but entirely lovable characters, and relationships (romantic and platonic) that make you cry?
- parallel londons, blood magic, pirates, and princes
- lila bard
- bisexual prince and his pirate privateer lover
- lila bard
- otp thats meets when person a robs person b and leaves them bleeding in an alley
- seriously if you take one recommendation from this list make it this one
- LILA BARD
ok on to the ones i haven’t spent the last month yelling about
Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson
book hangover after you’ve finished the first 2 books? well here comes the perfect combo of both!
- fantasy dystopia? basically a fantasy world if the dark lord had won
- alchemy magic!
- group of misfits come together to perform a heist
***The Shatter Me series by Tahereh Mafi
Does the absence of blarke have you longing for an angsty, enemies to friends to lovers ship?
- dystopia where some people have super powers
- girl who can kill people by touching them (she’s basically Rogue)
- aaron warner <3
- the angstiest shit i stg
- its a romance hiding behind a dystopian storyline
- i think warner has elements of S1 bellamy so I’m considering a similar dynamic, deal with it
*This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab
I couldn’t not include more from my queen. Looking for a book about monsters, and music, and the end of the world?
- a future where every violent act a human commits manifests an actual living breathing monster
- the city of verity is controlled by 2 warring families, (August’s and Kate’s)
- Kate and August come together to battle the big bad that’s threatening their town
- the writing is so. fucking. poetic.
- also no romance!
Truthwitch by Susan Dennard
do you love witches? and kickass female friendship? and love interests that stab each other in the heart?
- witch best friends (aka threadsisters) on the run
- a complex af magic system (truthwitch-sense lies, windwitch-control wind/air, you get the idea)
- seriously the female friendship tho
- angsty ships that try to kill each other!!!
- ongoing, but book 2 just came out
*On the Beach by Nevil Shute
Can’t get enough of people dealing with the impending end of the world?
- last survivors of a nuclear apocalypse sit on an australian beach and wait for their death basically
- how people handle knowing they’re about to be wiped out
- be prepared to cry
***The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer
More. Space. Stuff???
- fairytale retellings in space??
- cinder(ella) with a cyborg arm
- + red riding hood, rapunzel, snow white
- its been 84 years since i read, but i think cinder/kai reminded me vaguely of blarke so I’m counting it
*The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers
I actually haven’t read this one so I don’t know if there’s a Blarke-esque relationship, but are you on the market for a book about gays and aliens in space??
- space opera
- introspective look at humanity and alien shit
- some AI drama
- f/f relationship (party!)
The Wrath and the Dawn (and sequel) by Renee Ahdieh
How do I open this one? Maybe you’re down for a retelling of 1001 Arabian nights?
- such poetic writing
- as i mentioned, retelling of 1001 Arabian Nights where this dude takes a new wife every night and kills her every morning
- but then our salty heroin marries him and because she’s amazing she tricks him into keeping her alive through stories
- and the romance is so angsty
- i just started this so idk much else
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
Looking to find a book basically about all of our lives?
- fan fiction writer goes to college
- social anxiety is a bitch
- theres a cute boy
- its so fluffy it’ll make you smile
**Saga by Brian K. Vaugh and Fiona Stable
how about a few comic books? maybe one about a man and a woman from 2 warring intergalactic species on the run from their people?
- forbidden romance between a bad ass black woman with wings and her kick ass asian husband with horns
- running from both their governments that want their “abomination” baby dead (not a spoiler the first panel is literally her giving birth)
- theres people with robot heads and alien orgies
- its so fucking good
- i feel like this is how 30 yo blarke would handle this situation
Teen Titans by Geoff Johns
On the look out for a superhero comic? Maybe, oh, ANOTHER ragtag group of misfits?
- I know this isn’t everyone’s favorite iteration, but it’s mine and I love beast boy and raven so deal with it
- robin, beast boy, raven, cyborg, etc.
- just read it
Honorable Mentions: Labyrinth Lost by Zoraida Cordova, The Raven Cycle series by Maggie Steivfater, Not Your Sidekick by C.B. Lee, The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare (listen, she’s trash, but Jem is my son and I love him), An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir, ***Red Rising by Pierce Brown,
I hope this helps everyone out! I tried to think of as many similarities as I could and then threw in some that are worth the interest! Happy Hellatus lovelies!