Hey babes! August is here, which means that the first day of class isn’t far for a lot of us! The first day is exciting, but it can also be pretty scary. Here’s your guide to tackling the first day with grace, and setting yourself up for your best year yet!
Having the best first day means putting in some work beforehand! This way you can wake up the day-of and have a relaxing morning, instead of rushing around trying to find your textbooks.
- Save your class schedule to your phone
- I like to add each class (including details like the room #) as an individual reminder in my iPhone. That way all you have to do is swipe right on the lock screen and everything you need to know is there! If you have another type of phone, setting a picture of your schedule as your home screen works as well.
- Prepare your supplies
- Make sure you have everything you’ll need for the first day, and pack your backpack completely the night before.
- Think of some ice breaker answers
- I don’t know about you, but for me the worst part of the first day is sharing “a fun fact about yourself” or “one word that describes you” in every class. Save yourself some stress and think of those now!
- Pick out your outfit
- First impressions are important, so show up on your first day feeling confident about how you look! Make sure everything is ironed and laid out the night before so all you have to do is put it on!
- Pack a lunch and prep breakfast
- Make sure you have a healthy lunch packed and ready to go before you go to bed the night before, and go ahead and get a head start on breakfast too. Lay out the ingredients on the counter so all you have to do is fire the waffle iron up and go.
- Get a good night’s sleep
- Go to bed a little earlier than you normally would. Nerves about the first day mean that you may not get to sleep as fast, and you’ll probably be waking up earlier than you’re used to anyway.
the first day!
- Wake up early
- If you wake up a little earlier than you need to you can start your day relaxed, and that sets the tone for the whole day! Take your time getting ready & eating breakfast, and avoid using your phone (or you’ll totally find yourself on Twitter instead of getting dressed)
- Get to school early
- It usually takes me a little while to get my bearings on the first day of class, especially if my first class is in a new building. Show up early so you have time to scope out the halls and find your way.
- Bring a planner
- You’ll be getting a lot of dates thrown at you the first day, so be sure to bring your planner to write it all down!
- Introduce yourself
- Before class, say hello to the person you’re sitting next to and get to know them a little! After class be sure to introduce yourself to your teacher (or say hello if you’ve had them before). It’ll leave a good impression and may help you out with your participation grade!
- First days can be scary, but they can also be fun! Try to relax and enjoy it and know that you’ll have the best year ever!