hahahaha, okay, nonnie, i’ll try! it’s impossible to categorically attempt to define and summarize a complicated and diverse fandom with lots of complex fics and views and wildly divergent takes on canon, but as a thought experiment, i hope it’ll be ok!
I should stress there are dozens of fics if not hundreds that could slot into each of these general “categories” and trends, i don’t want to say any of these are like The Definitive Treatment, they’re just fics that spring to my mind as examples of a trend or aesthetic! Enjoy the recs but please don’t take them as like, a declarative statement on How Fandom Was or anything!
Also, this is an Arthur/Eames History, because write what you know etc.
- A certain type of very early inception fic, ie the thankfully short-lived ‘Eames is a bad speller and kinda dumb and he and Arthur have “banter” that is regrettably indistinguishable from sexual harassment until he wears Arthur down and then they fuck’ phase of our existence
- Das Vorbewusste by weatherfront ie the follow-up complete polar reversal, ‘nevermind, Eames is THE MOST BRILLIANT PERSON EVER TO EXIST ON THE PLANET AND IT’S A WONDER THAT ARTHUR DOESN’T MELT AWAY IN HIS FINE SUIT JUST BEING NEAR HIM BECAUSE QUITE HONESTLY WHO COULD BLAME HIM HOT DAMN,’ a phase which thankfully still exists to this day :D :D :D :D
- Towards Zero by mirabella ie oh shiiiiiiiit everything is terrible PROJECTIONS ARE THE WORST PLOT TROPE IN HISTORY I’M TERRIFIED AND NO LONGER TRUST WHAT IS REAL, THIS IS A NIGHTMARE WHO DECIDED THIS FANDOM WAS A GOOD IDEA ie that phase when everyone was writing angsty plots with projections and reality mindfucks and i’m so glad we are out of this phase mostly because my heart could not take it
- Unexpected Plot Twist by ethrosdemon aka that phase when fics were blowing up dreamshare and issuing scathing critiques of the military while they were at it
- Late Night Phone Call by Sparkledark. I feel like “wildly delightful AUs completely separate from the inception canon but no less memorable for it” aren’t really a phase so much as a staple in this and every fandom, and they’ve been here since the beginning, but when this one was posted back in (originally on LJ for the inception christmas fic exchange in i think 2011) it was just the BEST THING EVER. It definitely counts as a fandom moment, for me at least.
- Get Lost by winterlive aka that phase when everyone was very introspective and fics were only nominally about dreamshare, but were very much about character explorations, and the sense of vastness that canon left us with, and also maybe an attempt to recreate the aesthetic of SGA fandom here in new space, and also a little about the poignancy of collective creation of narrative, if that makes any sense.
- Our Man in Africa by witling, ie that, like, 2-year late-fandom phase when it seemed that we had a real infrequency of longer canonical fics (my favorite kind), but whenever we got them, thanks to newcomers like redcat512 and awesome perennial fans like witling and pushdragon and lurrel and laceymcbain etc etc, they were amaaaaazing, and kept the fandom feeling fresh and alive and not stagnant at all.
- Next Big Thing aka prolly the reason this fandom has spent the last 6 months exploding in celebrity AUs :D