Back with season 2! Now, if season 1 was the season everyone seems to forget about, season 2 is the one everyone is still obsessed with. Most of the most iconic lines in the fandom are from season 2 and people generally seem to love it. All the “April, you’re like an angel with no wings / So like a person?” and the “Sweater swap!” and other great lines are in here. Specifically in the second part of the season. This season, as well as the third and seventh one, is really overhyped in fandom. For good reasons?
Here’s the deal with season two: it’s very unequal. Now, most seasons of most shows have episodes that just hit better than others, usually peppered across the season. This isn’t really how season two of Parks and Recreation works, rather all the “bad” episodes are clumped together at the beginning of the season, and then there is a marked turn for the better for the second half of it.
- Set in small-town Indiana, still manages to have 40% of it’s ensemble cast be POC, and not one of them is a token either
- 40% of the cast are women. ¾ are POC. All of them are badasses.
- Every single fucking episode is funny. Seriously.
- Perd fucking Hapley. I can’t even explain, you just have to watch
- Pawnee citizens holy hell
- The flawless political commentary behind the Langman’s and the Male Men
- The scene in Comeback Kid where Get On Your Feet is playing and they’re all struggling to walk on ice
- Chris Traeger and his mental illness. They worked it in so that it was comedic, but if it glorified anything, it was asking for help and accepting it.
- Okay just Chris in general
- Gary Jerry Larry Terry Gary Gergich Gengurch Gergich
- Donna, the character who is exactly who she needs to be throughout her life. She acknowledges the need to change her behavior occasionally, but it doesn’t dent her confidence one bit.
- Ann Meredith Perkins, you beautiful sun-ray nurse. The best friend everyone needs. Quirky and grounded and intelligent.
- THE FUCKING SAPERSTEINS
- ESPECIALLY JEAN-RALPHIO
- Everything Tom Haverford has ever said
- Ben fucking Wyatt. I can’t even elaborate without crying and combusting. Much better nerd than any weasel from The Big Bang Theory. Feminist. Best Husband Ever.
- ANYTIME BEN OR LESLIE ARE DRUNK HOLY SHIT
- Cones of Dunshire and Requiem for a Tuesday
- FUCKING ICE TOWN
- April Blart, Mall Cop
- April’s character development *heart eyes*
- Andy and April’s love
- Mouse Rat and hits like The Pit, Catch Your Dream, and
- 5000 CANDLES IN THE WIND
- LIL SEBASTIAN
- Bert Macklin, FBI
- Johnny and Johnathan Karate
- Andy Dwyer, secret genius
- Ron Swanson, the manliest man to ever man, owner of the world’s best character development, hater of Canada and vegans, beautiful beautiful man
- Duke fucking Silver
- I dig your groovy tunes man
- Ben and Leslie’s healthy, realistic, and beautiful relationship
- Benslie proposal
- Benslie wedding
- Ben’s triplets freakout
- the BOX
- Amy Poehler plays the most amazing woman to ever grace any screen. Leslie Knope, a socially inept but selfless woman who dedicates her life to public service, her family, and her friends. Deeply flawed main character that wasn’t made lovable by her unfortunate but relatable love of sugar and hatred of vegetables, but instead by her love for others and thoughtfulness and work ethic and optimism. Food habits aside, her character flaws were acknowledged by the writers, her loved ones, and her. No one is an enabler for Leslie Knope’s bad behavior. When she does something shitty, she gets called on it and apologizes. But at the end of the day, hard work and positivity make a difference, and she achieves her dreams.
- Positivity. The people on this show like each other. They believe in and support each other. They apologize when they’re wrong. They forgive when they’ve been wronged. They go out of their way to make lives better. And it is still funny.
imagine the 99th precinct meeting the parks and rec dept. tho
ben trying to break the ice with holt with one of his accounting puns and holt saying ‘that’s hilarious’ completely deadpan
jake and tom driving everyone freakin insane (while gina’s crying out in the background ‘jake no you’re in debt DON’T TREAT YO SELF!’)
leslie and amy pulling out perfect new binders at the exact same time and squealing in excitement
scully and hitchcock finally having a complete office massage chain with the addition of terry/jerry
ray and ron nodding at each other, sentences short and to the point, and immediately becoming immensely fond of each other (ron telling him not to get emotional when ray tells him that with his usual straight face)
terry and chris recommending each other fat-free organic yogurt and exercise routines
april working hard not to smile like a maniac as rosa tells her about her goriest cases
jake and boyle joining in the fun office roleplay with andy and april (and playing like 50 characters each cos they can’t decide who to be)
terry and anne clucking like proud mother hens off at the side (and occasionally leaping in to stop andy/jake/leslie from stupidly killing themselves)
gina immediately bonding with april and persuading her to take selfies with her while they discuss politics (i.e. the presidential election and why it really should be decided with a hunger games)
andy getting really attached to boyle and seeing him as some kind of food god
andy and april placing bets on whether or not jake and amy will get together (and april pretending she really doesn’t care)
sorry for the long post i just have a lot of feelings about this crossover someone write it please??????