Do you think the paladins celebrated holidays on the ship?
Yes!!! I do!!!
- I think that one of them probably brought up holidays or birthdays at one point and everyone’s just like :/ because who the hell knows how much time has passed.
- So Coran (who can probably sympathize, what with having lost his entire culture and all) works with Pidge and Hunk to figure out what time it is back on Earth. And a year has passed so they’re just like, well I guess we should throw everyone a collective birthday party.
- So they do and everyone gets in on it, buying each other gifts and stuff at your local Space Mall™ and Allura sets aside a day for everyone to take a break because, hell if they don’t need one.
- Coran and Hunk bake the ultimate birthday ‘cake’ which isn’t as much a cake as it is a bunch of alien ingredients cooked to resemble a cake. Hunk still manages to make it taste good because he’s the galaxy’s #1 chef.
- They spend the whole day talking about their birthdays back on earth and stuff.
- “I can’t believe Shiro’s six.”
- They offer to throw Keith like 10 more parties once he reveals that he didn’t really have any until he met Shiro and became his honorary brother.
- Lance almost cries when he’s talking about his family and everyone gathers him into a collective group hug.
- Allura and Coran are #confused.
- “Why would humans celebrate their birthday every year? That seems like an awful lot of trouble to celebrate a person’s life that often.” “…” “How long you you think people live?” “Hold on, how long do Alteans live?!”
- After that, they keep track of Earth’s calendar and proceed to celebrate big holidays.
- On Halloween…
- Lance is just, “Exactly how mad at me do you think Allura would be if I went and knocked on everyone’s door on this next planet and asked for food.”
- Needless to say, the others keep an eye on him the whole day.
- They do end up finding a bunch of the alien equivalent of sweets but Shiro steals half of them because Halloween is his thing and he has a serious sweet tooth.
- The others devise a plan to take them back but Pidge gets away with the loot and hides it and the candy is never to be found again. (It’s in the vents).
- Of course they buy each other gifts cause why not. It’s adorable.
- Both Keith and Lance buy each other two gifts. One is really thoughtful and sweet and the other is a cheap gift that they give while everyone’s exchanging gives. They give the meaningful ones to each other secretly because they don’t want the others to tease them.
- Allura has no idea what it is and Shiro is flustered.
- Everyone conspires to get Keith and Lance under the mistletoe but it doesn’t work and everyone’s disappointed until Keith lets it slip that Lance already pulled that trick on him when they were walking to breakfast.
- New Years…
- They all sit down together in the control room and Pidge and Hunk hook up a timer and they all watch it count down. When it hits zero there’s this moment of silence because as much as they’re glad that Earth has survived another year, they want more than anything to be there.
- And because I can’t let anything end on a sad note, Allura and Coran show the Paladins a bunch of holidays that Altea celebrated. It’s such a bittersweet thing but it’s so amazing to see these memories coming to life before them. Even if the lovely elegance and extravagance of an Altean celebration dissolves into lighthearted fun and laughter, it reminds them that they have a new family. And as strange as it might be, it’s a wonderful thing to be a part of.