headcanons re: jake and amy's cooking habits? how on earth do those two survive?????
I LOVE THIS REQUEST SO MUCH & I KNOW THIS ISN’T EXACTLY WHAT YOU ASKED FOR, BUT I ROLLED WITH IT:
- We know from canon (3x12) that Amy likes to follow recipes because they’re just like following instructions!!
- Charles gives them one of the best, most basic recipe books as one of his many housewarming presents. (He tells them no kitchen is complete without a copy of this bad boy, but tbh he just cares about Jake’s overall health and would rather not eventually receive a phone call about an impromptu ER visit for accidental poisoning.)
- The first chance she gets, Amy takes a crack at making mac and cheese. (It seems simple enough, and also she’s 100% sure Jake would eat anything that belongs on a kid’s menu.)
- While she does love following instructions, she still struggles super hard at differentiating salt from baking soda from other white powder-y substances.
- The mac and cheese turns out TERRIBLE because she uses confectioner’s sugar instead of flour. (The consistency is all wrong, and - “No, Jake, you’re not supposed to like it. This wasn’t meant to be dessert for dinner. Stop eating that! Let’s just order pizza.”)
- Jake has a lightbulb moment halfway through his bowl of sweet mac and cheese, and he runs off to grab Amy’s precious label maker.
- Amy’s confused, but she helps him figure out how to use it, and he proceeds to label all the condiments and basic ingredients in their fridge/pantry. He adds extra “NOT TO BE SUBSTITUTED WITH …” labels to each thing just to make the point super clear. (He also makes an “Amy’s Boyfriend” label for himself and sticks it on his forehead. Amy tries to scold him for being wasteful, but she can’t fight the grin spreading on her face.)
- Her success rate in the kitchen actually does improve with the new label system, and her next batch of mac and cheese is pretty darn decent.
- Of course, Jake has to go and dust his bowl with a generous helping of powdered sugar just for laughs.