can you make a checklist on how to get into the gorillaz?? It seems like there is a lot out there and its hard to follow when i'm getting into it late.. thank you!!
Sure!!! I personally got into them by watching their G-bitez and music videos and it all kinda spiraled from there.
The band itself was made by Damon Albarn (Lead singer of Blur, does vocals and writes lyrics for Gorillaz) and Jamie Hewlett (Co-creator of the comic book “Tank Girl”, draws and animates for Gorillaz) after they were both watching MTV and they were like “hey music today sucks you know what’d be cool?? if we made an animated band” “cool we could call it ‘gorilla’ because we were both born on the year of the monkey!!!” sadly animal planet had already copyrighted “gorilla” so they just added a z to the end of it to make it cooler.
Something to know about Gorillaz is that they have “phases”. Phase 1 was in 2001, when they released their albums “Gorillaz”, “G-Sides” and “Laika come home”. Phase 1′s art style was cartoonish and used very thick lineart. Phase 2 was in 2005, when they released “Demon Days” and “D-sides”. Phase 2′s art style was a bit dark and looked more realistic. Phase 3 was in 2010, when they released the albums “Plastic Beach” and “The Fall” in 2011. Phase 3′s art style was almost the same as phase 2′s. Then we have Phase 4 in 2017, their new album “Humanz” is coming out April 28th. It’s art style is the one that stands out the most to me, you can find most of the art on Jamie Hewlett’s Instragram (Hewll)
Alright, a big part of me getting into the fandom was my love fore the characters. I’m assuming you’re not a fan yet, so let me introduce them to you (i’m going to use powerpoints to explain each member if u don’t mind):
This lovely lad here is Murdoc Faust Niccals.
- He’s the band’s leader/bassist, and he makes sure EVERYONE knows that’s it’s his band and only his. - He went through multiple other bands before he formed Gorillaz. - He was born on June 6th, 1966 in Stoke-on-Trent, England. As an infant he was abandoned on his father’s doorstep. - Had a very rough childhood, his father, Sebastian Niccals, would force him to preform on stage for booze money and it was absolutely humiliating for him. - His nose has been broken a of total 8 times. The first time was from a bully at his school, the 2nd time was from his older (and only) brother, Hannibal, because Murdoc had touched his records and the other 6 times were from Russel when he got caught “doing it” with 2D’s now ex-girlfriend in the bathroom stalls of Kong Studios
- His middle name was originally “Alphonse” but he changed it to “Faust” after making a deal with the Devil in phase 1 to make Gorillaz the “biggest band in the world”. That’s also how he got his bass, “El Diablo”.
- did i mention he was a satanist bc he is - He hangs around in his underwear a lot (especially in phase 2) - He likes to either get naked or start pelvic thrusting in like every video, so be careful, young anon. - He’s very crude but sometimes he can be very nice and adorable in some interviews ??? It’s so weird - He likes making weird noises, like, a lot. - Apparently can speak French and Spanish - His reason for turning green all of the sudden in phase 2 is either because of alcohol poisoning or due to him tanning himself green. Jamie himself said that it’s because he’s an immortalist and his skin is now rotting but I’m not sure how true it is. - He had a pet raven in phase 2!!! His name was Cortez and no one really knows what happened to him but Murdoc seemed to love that bird. - He also had a cape in phase 2 that he loved and wore like all the time but he lost it. Poor baby. - He was based off of a young 1960′s era KeithRichards. - He has a tongue longer than Gene Simmons’ and I’m not even kidding. His tongue is like a foot long - His genuine laugh can cure cancer - He had his own MTV cribs episode - Here’s a playlist of every interview he’s been in if you’d like to know a bit more about how he acts. - All of this sounds horrible but like half of the fandom sees him as charming and funny and the other half sees him as repulsive and downright mean so i guess listen to some of his interviews and make your decision (i’m part of the half that loves him)
This is 2D!!
- He’s the band’s singer, sometimes he plays the piano and melodica too. - He’s anxious and a bit timid around people. He’s not that intelligent, but he’s an absolute sweetheart to pretty much everyone. He’s … a huge dork. - He was born on May 23rd, 1978.
He was born in Hertfordshire, England and was raised in Crawley, England. When he was 10 he fell out of a tree and landed on his head, his hair fell out and grew back blue. He’s had horrible headaches since then, but his mother was a nurse and gave pills to help him out. - His real name is Stuart Pot - He loves horror films!!! Especially zombie movies. - Apparently he smells like butterscotch - He’s VERY tall. he’s like 6′1 and his legs make up most of his body. He towers over the rest of the band. - His voice actor is Nelson De Freitas, but Damon Albarn provides his singing voice - The lack of his two front teeth gives him an adorable accent - He has a crippling fear of whales - His eyes are black due to an 8-ball fracture that Murdoc gave him before the band was made when he crashed his car into the music store 2D worked at. - His eyes turn white when he’s stressed or scared. - His nickname “2D” stands for “Two Dents”. He’s called that because Murdoc’s car crash also gave him two dents in his head. - Murdoc is seen physically abusing 2D throughout phase 1-3, but there’s a very likely chance that he’s going to stop and make amends in phase 4!!! - Here’s a playlist of interviews that he’s been in
- Everybody loves him. I love him. I don’t think it’s possible not to love him.
This is Russel Hobbs!!
- He’s the band’s drummer. He makes remixes too!!! - The living embodiment of “looks like he could kill you but is actually a cinnamon roll” - Quite possibly the most underrated character in the world - He was born in Brooklyn, New York on June 3rd, 1975. He got possessed by a demon as a kid and fell into a coma for four years. After he woke up the demon got expelled tho - When he was a teen, him and his friends were involved in a drive-by shooting. Russel was the only survivor and all of his friends possessed him, but the only one we really get to see is his closest friend, Del, he raps in Clint Eastwood and Rock the House, but we haven’t seen him since phase 1. - Russel misses Del very dearly, poor lad. - After the whole shooting incident he was sent to the UK to live with his uncle. - HE SAVED 2D FROM BEING EATEN BY A WHALE. HE’S SO UNDERAPPRECIATED - He’s an actual giant in phase 3 because he ate some radioactive algae - He loves fezzes!!! - His hobby, besides music, is taxidermy. - He’s the dad friend - Here’s a playlist of interviews that he’s been in
Last but not least, this is Noodle
- She plays guitar for the band. She also sings and writes songs sometimes - Noodle is very energetic and nice but she can also kick your ass - She was born in Osaka, Japan on October 31st 1990
- She joined the band when she was around 10 but she’s like 26 now. I forgot to mention that the band ages with real time - As a kid she was a part of a classified child super solider project under the management of a japanese scientist named Mr. Kyuzo. this is where she learned how to be badass. She knew professional karate at like 10 how cool is that - All of the children in that project were deemed too unstable and dangerous, so they canceled the experiment and Mr. Kyuzo was ordered to kill all of the children (fuckin dark i know). After killing them all, Mr. Kyuzo was reluctant to kill Noodle, so instead he put her in a state of amnesia and smuggled her to the UK by shipping her to Kong Studios in a FedEx crate. - She didn’t remember anything!!! The only english thing she was able to say to say was “noodle” and that’s where she got her name. - She learned how to speak english and remembered her past in phase 2. - Murdoc, 2D and Russel raised her (mostly russel tho). Noodle considers Murdoc and 2D her brothers and Russel considers her his daughter how CUTE IS THAT - She loves Pokemon - She had a flying windmill island in phase 2 it was incredible - She had a cute radio helmet in phase 1 - She also has a robot version of herself called “Cyborg Noodle” in phase 3. It’s a long story but Cyborg might be coming back for phase 4. - The interviews that she’s in can be found here!!
The backstory is too long for me to write down, but you can find it over here! I hope i explained everything clearly- if not, or if you have any questions, feel free to send me a message!! I hope this helps you c:
listen l i s t e n now i know everything isn’t always about karlie somehow *but* am i still sitting here thinking about taylor getting drunk and making fun of the way karlie talks saying im-por-tint over and over again? you bet ur ass i am
Nico’s originally from Italy, so I can imagine him having the accent still. Even though he was in the casino for a while, he was still around Bianca a lot, and she would *certainly* have an accent. That means there’s a chance that Nico would retain at least a part of his.
Of course, it’s watered down thanks to living in America for so long. But that said, I believe that it’s there in the rare moments he’s excited and off guard. He’ll start speaking with an adorable Italian accent, his eyes sparkling with energy that he hasn’t had in years. He’ll laugh and not even notice that people would stare.
Or, even better, he’d slip into Italian without even noticing. He’d be in a conversation with someone and get super excited. Then, in the middle of the conversation, would switch languages. He’d be smiling and continue with whatever he was saying, but it would be in Italian. The other person, in response, would either look very confused causing Nico to notice his mistake and grow quiet and embarrassed therefore ruining the moment, or would go along with it.
Will sat under the shade of a tree with Nico. It was a nice, sunny day. There was a breeze, so it was chillier than Will preferred it, but it didn’t seem to bother Nico thanks to his jacket. Will loved being outside, and Nico loved the shadows, so the shade of a tree on a sunny day was the perfect scenario for both boys.
They weren’t doing much at the moment, just sitting in silence and enjoying each other’s company. Nico wasn’t one for talking, but with his hand entwined with Will’s, there was no doubt in the blonde’s mind that the other boy cared.
“Hobbies.” Nico said, seemingly out of the blue.
If Will had been anybody else, he would have thought Nico’s comment was of no value; was something random that could be brushed off. But Will knew better than that. The comment was just part of the game that him and Nico played. Ever since the incident that had brought them together [A/N: see the first chapter of my new Solangelo fic], Nico had actually put somewhat of an effort into who he was.
Mysteriously, he still couldn’t answer the three questions that Will had asked in the beginning.
Will chuckled lightly, squeezing his boyfriend’s hand. “Hobbies… reading, archery, and soccer.”
“Soccer?” Nico questioned, turning his head to look at Will. “You play a sport?”
“Used to.” Will explained to him. “Since becoming a year-rounder here at camp, I haven’t played at all. I kind of miss it.”
Will caught a small glint of curiosity in Nico’s eye, as if he were about to ask another question. He opened his mouth, but it was gone as soon as it came, the question seemingly dying in his throat. He closed his mouth as calmly and as stoically as everything he did.
“Now it’s your turn, Nico.” Will told him expectantly. “Let me here about what you do in your free-time.”
Nico sighed heavily. The stony expression on his face looked strained, as if he were debating a life or death decision. Even though he knew that couldn’t be the case, it made Will’s heart beat just a little quicker with worry.
Nico looked down at the grass, picking at it with his free hand. “I used to be really into Mythomagic.”
“Mythomagic…” Will repeated. That name rung a bell in his mind, but he was having trouble placing where he had heard it. When it struck him, he smiled. “Mythomagic. Isn’t that Trading Card Game? Sort of like Magic: The Gathering?”
“And like Pokémon.” Nico said, sounding tired. “I’ve heard it all, and yes - it is a TCG.”
Will laughed at Nico. “So your a secret dork, huh? You into video games and anime too?”
Nico looked back at the ground again. “Maybe I am, maybe I’m not. Your point is?”
Will shrugged. “I don’t know, but I adore this new secret part of you.”
He meant to be endearing, but Nico looked just as upset and embarrassed as he always did when Will started to pry. Why Nico had let Will get anything out of him if it made him feel so bad, the blonde medic would never know. But he *did* know that he had to make Nico feel better, even though he had been the one to start the conversation about hobbies.
“Tell me more about it.” Will told him. Nico looked up at him, confused. “Mythomagic, that is. I know of it, but I don’t know much about it. Could you please explain it to me?”
Nico obliged. He tentatively began to explain the rules of the game. Will followed along, although it started getting a bit complicated. Nico kept looking up at him, then back at the ground as he talked. He seemed almost frightened to be discussing it.
Then, something amazing happened.
When he was done explaining the rules, he branched off. His voice was a couple pitches higher and he let go off Will’s hand. Normally, that would have been a bad sign. Nico receding back into himself was a silent warning sign his boyfriend would give him. But this time, he released Will’s hand to be able to talk with his hands.
His arms were flying just as fast as his words. Will had never heard Nico say something that hadn’t been thought through. This was a new sight. There was a sparkle in Nico’s eye that Will had never seen there before. A smile graced the boy’s face, and his voice reverberated with energy.
He began recounting stories and experiences of the game, laughing as he did so. Will had never heard anything as carefree and beautiful as Nico’s laugh. The pale boy talked about the game like Nico never talked about anything: with child-like excitement. It was free, and it was fun.
And as he spoke, Will heard Nico’s voice take on a slight change. Slowly but surely, an Italian accent overtook his words. It was adorable and innocent, the latter having never been a word to use with Nico. He looked at home, with the sunny day and Italian accent, as if the casino had never took home from him.
And then he completely lost Will. Nico’s words came out completely in Italian, and the boy didn’t even seem to notice. He just kept talking as if he were still speaking basic English. His eyes sparkled even more when he changed languages. Now, Nico seemed truly at home. He seemed truly comfortable; he looked comfortable in a way that Will knew he would never be able to make him.
Even though Will had no idea what Nico was saying, he didn’t interrupt. He simply enjoyed seeing his boyfriend so uncharacteristically happy. He let Nico have his moment of happiness and freedom. He seemed to be enjoying himself so much, Will wouldn’t dare interrupt him to break it to him. He was too cute and too happy.
Will was pretty sure he loved Nico even more after that afternoon.