Hamilton fandom often glosses over a lot of the total wrenching tragedy and vulnerability and kindness of Angelica’s role in Hamilton and that makes me really sad because so much of Angelica’s stage presence shows her in this light. She is WAY more than sarcastic one liners, savage put-downs and badass proclamations. She is also those things, but not only them, ok!!!
- First of all, Satisfied is this INTENSELY vulnerable song, made even more depressing by the fact she is only letting herself and by proxy the audience see that vulnerability. She’s knocked for six by this incredible guy- and then she realises almost immediately it is never, ever going to happen. She watches him and her sister hit it off and swallows every ounce of bitterness because she loves her sister, even as she also acknowledges to herself she’s doing it for pragmatic reasons, and for her own standing in society. It ends with her alone, thinking to herself that at least she has a ghost of something left as Eliza leaves with her new husband. And she has nobody she can vent this to. The only thing she actually sings to other characters is a jubilant toast.
- Then, she leaves her entire family to go to England with a man she doesn’t love, she no longer keeps Alexander’s eyes in her life, all for the sake of her and her family’s social standing- smart, but lonely, and in the cut song Congratulations she sings about how she languishes when she leaves with little to stimulate her.
- THEN ALEXANDER REFUSES TO GO WITH HER AND ELIZA WHEN SHE VISITS. THEN HE CHEATS ON ELIZA AND FUCKS HER OVER HUGELY, and oh man, the staging for Angelica in this bit is so much less angry than the audio might make you think?? It’s shocked and hurt and determined but incredibly sad in a way. She rips into him, but not with satisfaction- with grief.
- She does so much at personal cost for her sisters, her family, taking what she can get without compromising anything, and she gets no reward.; all that social standing doesn’t net her a wonderful life, or what she really WANTS. She has a fascinating mix of self-preservation and self-sacrifice going on, and I love that strange mix.
- And at the end, she doesn’t stay to tell Alex’s story- she stays to help Eliza, and I think that difference is just… she loves Eliza so much, you guys, I am EMOTIONAL, Angelica is the best, Angelica and Eliza are the best, siSTERS ARE AMAZING!!!