So I’ve been overwhelmed by the black panther comicon appearance and I’ve been dwelling on how revolutionary the black panther movie is going to be, what it’s going to mean to countless people when this movie comes out and how long we still have to go, So I decided to put this short photoset together to illustrate exactly how big of a deal it is and how it is bigger than one person.
it’s so bittersweet because when I was younger (especially growing up where I did, a black kid in Finland) I really wished I had more access to imagery and media that reflected who I was because it would have made my life radically different for the better and I wouldn’t be at 26 (STILL) doing damage control but on the flipside, I’m so in awe of all of the beautiful talent in 2016 that younger black kids are able to see and be inspired by.
I think I was like 4 years old when I conciously picked up race and color via watching Disney’s “Aladdin” and I noticed how Jafar, the evil royal guards etc the villains were more ethnic looking or a shade darker than the “good” characters.
it’s insidious because you’re seeing something but at age 4, you don’t have the comprehension skill or knowledge to break it down and see it for what it is (Colorism, Societal bias against black people which is rooted in centuries of white supremacist doctrine, society associates things that are dark/darker colors with evil, danger, ugliness, dirt etc) and reject it.
so you pick it up and see it on a surface level and you think to yourself “well darker must mean ugly, criminal and less human”…then what happens when you look at yourself in the mirror and find out that you are black?
and guess what? if a 4 year old black kid can pick that up and internalize that about him/her/themselves….then a white kid can sponge up the same language and imagery that dehumanizes black people too (subconciously/conciously)…what happens when when these people grow up? become teachers, doctors, law enforcement etc? what kind of impact is that going to have?
I’m going off on a tangent and that’s just one personal example but society does that on a global grand scale and it is largely unchecked.
but honestly though,look at the photoset and think about how many talented people out there that we love and respect….who would NOT have achieved the things they did if it wasn’t for another person before them inspiring them to reach their goals and acting as trail blazers when it seemed as though it was impossible….then think about the flipside and how many people, with all the potential in the world, never lived to become great because they were met with more images dehumanizing them than ones uplifting them…this is why the fight for HONEST representation is important and it continues.
So I was trying to find what is undoubtedly the most offensive comment ever said to Cortana’s character, when instead of I found this.
All the years I’ve watched H4 videos, every single one of them had been filled with nothing but hate.
So I came to this video expecting the same old shit, but instead found so many loving and positive comments, more than I could even list. Halo 4 is finally getting the love it deserves and even though it’s too late, I’ve never been happier.
I honestly can’t deal with this fandom… This season, the last season ever and ONLY season with a religious woman of colour as the main and yet the entire skam tag is filled with gifs of evak.. And that’s fine and dandy but fuck, some of us want to see content regarding the main character and literally scrolling through over 20 posts just to see 1 post about the main character is really freakin depressing especially because this was a 6 minute clip with the boys shown in it for maybe 10 seconds yet all y'all can do is post the same gifs over and over again in different variations. And if we complain about it we are called, and I quote “a bunch of racist fetishizers” (yeah, someone actually said that). Like.. I didn’t realize ppl of colour that ACTUALLY DEAL WITH RACISM bring about the topic for shits and giggles. Because it’s sooo much fun to discuss and ya know, not one of the biggest problems in the world today that the protagonist is dealing with and as the clip showed, dealt with more severe versions of it in the past.
I can go on about this forever.. But for those of you who think this is us ‘fetishizing’ over a certain aspect of the show, (you know, an aspect that has a lot of meaning and carries a lot of weight especially with brown women) I would take a look at your own blog and see who is fetishizing what..
Wait, do people really think it was wrong of Sana to be bus leader over Vilde??? Who has had all the enthusiasm but none of the execution?
Look I know she wanted this. But where was she when they were 300k in the hole? Was she out there offering any ideas about how to get this shit done? Nope. So tell me how that’s the quality of a leader?
1. You can’t change what happened as yesterday is gone - but you can make some choices so the future turns out better.
2. We all have regrets – it is part of being human. There’s no-one who is perfect, or who does things perfectly.
3. See it as a life lesson, and something you can learn from. Good can come from your regrets if you’ll let them change your ways.
4. See yourself as a new person … As a person you believe in …. As someone you are proud of, and as someone who you like.
5. Practise self-compassion and give yourself a break. You still deserve to be loved … it doesn’t matter what you’ve done.
. That was then – and this it now …. Let it go and look ahead … For you can’t change your future if you’re always looking back.
I suppose since I’ve received seven messages about the Sims 4 posts, I’ll have to address them. Basically, these individuals are “concerned” I’m leaving Sims 2 behind. Most messages were filled with profanity, stating that I must make a separate account for my Sims 4 posts. One was borderline “threatening” me.
First of all, you might notice I have not posted screenshots of their messages. I have said in the past I will not tolerate negativity on my simblr. I will not give them a platform to spew hate. I will not be bullied. I will not give them voice. So anon messages of that nature will be deleted. Simple as that. You spew hate at me? Delete, block, etc. You message me as yourself and not behind anonymous, I will privately message you back to resolve the issue. You continue to harass me? You will be reported to Tumblr and you will be blocked. Simple. As. That.
Why do I allow anonymous messages? Because some people have high anxiety chatting with people, even through the internet. So posting as anons lifts some pressure off them to communicate. I will support their choice of that.
Now, why don’t we get some things straight:
1. Sims 2, my storytelling device. 2. Sims 4, that game I play.
I have invested a lot of time and energy in Sims 2, not only in game playing, but in posing, building, and creating. Why would I abandon it? Sure when Sims 3 came out, I switched to it. And it was the worst mistake of my life. I learn from my mistakes. I already have everything in Sims 2 I need for my stories. So rationally, it makes no sense to dump it for Sims 4, which doesn’t have nearly 10% of the content or capability Sims 2 does.
I have spent a lot of money on Sims 4 so I will enjoy it. I will play it. I will post pictures of my game play if I desire to on THIS tumblr account. I tag quite fiercely. I always have. You don’t want to see Sims 4 stuff? Why don’t you educate yourself in blacklisting items? You don’t like me, my stuff, my stories, or my way of posting, unfollow me.
Now, excuse me while I queue up some more Sims 4 posts.
1. Do not settle or become desperate. Do not get into a relationship with someone that you would not normally be interested in if you did not have HSV. If they find a cure for HSV, you really don’t want to be in a relationship with someone that isn’t your perfect match. Over time you will find that you are still the same person you were before HSV and if that person wasn’t right for you before they still aren’t the right match. Not fair to you and certainly not fair to him/her.
2. Learn to love who you are. Every morning that you wake up you have the choice of being happy with whatever circumstances you find yourself in. You often have no control over the circumstances in your life but you have 100% control over how you let it affect you. Learn to appreciate your good qualities and if there are parts of your life that need fixing why not work on that now? I think one of the most important aspects of personal happiness is being able to be happy being single. If you don’t feel this tremendous pressure to have a partner right now, you can take your time and find the right person rather than force someone into your life that fits a short term need.
3. Do not get discouraged if someone is not interested in you because of HSV. My defense mechanism was to expect the worst when I told someone I liked about my HSV. If I went in expecting to have the person run away and scream at the top of their lungs that they don’t ever want to see me again, then any other reaction less traumatic seemed ok. Of course the reality is that I never had anyone act anything but kind and caring when I told and every single person I told ended up seeing me again. The truth is, there are a thousand reasons why two people may not be right for each other, H is just one of those. Keep searching for the person that sees you for who you really are.
4. Take better care of yourself. Get in better shape, start eating better, get up earlier, go to bed earlier, read a good book, go for a walk, buy yourself a nice present.
5. Kick its ass. HSV can own you or you can own HSV. Chose to own it and put it in its place. HSV makes us all feel pretty awful when we are first diagnosed, but think about what it is that makes you feel that way and work to make the fear/shame less important in your life. Are you afraid of your friends/family finding out? Tell them and that fear will go away. Are you afraid of telling a potential partner? Figure out the best way for you to do it and try it. There is no right or wrong way, just your way. I put it in my dating site profile so the fear of telling is gone. That’s not for everyone but it works for me. You would be amazed how many people send me a note thanking me for my honesty and often wanting to get to know me.
6. Use available resources for information and support. There are a whole lot of smart and caring people on this site. Many have been on this ship for years and have lived everything you are feeling. Ask us how we cope, learn from our mistakes and you can feel better simply because you are not in this alone. Projectaccept.org is also a great resource for those that are new and looking for information.
7. After you get HSV you will go through periods of not enough sex ( I could write a book) and not feeling loved. Before you got HSV you went through periods of not having enough sex and not feeling loved. After they find a cure someday you will go through periods of not enough sex and not enough love. We call that LIFE.
8 . It is ok to grieve, but at some point you have to accept it. Be thankful it wasn’t something worse and take it as a hard lesson learned, pick yourself up and move on— It is not the end of the world.
9. Don’t lose hope Ever
10. Always give your partners the choice. Always.
**taken and slightly modified from one of the online fb support groups**
Are You Trying To Seduce Me? (Charles Xavier x Human! Reader)
Warnings: Fluff, smut, some language?
Deep breaths y/n…
Taking a necessary breather, you walk over to the handsome professor in the white long-sleeved buttoned down dress shirt, dark brown vest and black pants. You really had been staring at him ninety-nine percent of the night - he was just so beautifully gorgeous and perfect you couldn’t understand how a man like him could even exist.