sorry to be that person but why are you against mcclain as lances last name? at first glance i was like oh i guess it can be seen as whitewashing, but then lots of people said it was fine because that was his canon last name in voltron: defenders of the universe. i also saw the point being made that lots of latinx people have white sounding last names and lots of white people have latinx sounding last names so either way names arent perfectly representative of a persons race. what do you think?
Okay. Hoo Boy here we go! Sorry for being Extra Blunt, but to me you don’t seem all that sorry, considering you still decided to send this ask, lmao. Anyways! This is actually gonna get hella long, so let me just post a Table of Contents here in bullet point form to let you know what I’ll be covering. The rest will be below the cut.
- Why are you against Lance having a White surname?
- But other people said it was okay, doesn’t that mean it’s okay?
- I’m Latinx/Mixed and my surname is White. What about my representation?/Are you saying I’m not valid?
- But his original surname is McClain, isn’t it? Why not just keep it?
- How is it “whitewashing” if this isn’t about skin tone? How is this racist?
- It’s not that big of a deal, is it?