How do you redecorate without breaking your fragile bank account??
I love this question! Everything on this list is under $30, and most of it can be purchased from the safety of your dorm room couch.
Decorating on a Budget
1. Plants: Plants are my personal favorite decor (apart from Xmas lights). They’re inexpensive and look great in any location. If watering a plant every day doesn’t work for your schedule, get a cactus! I water my cacti twice a week.
2. Xmas Lights: I try to distance myself from people who say that Xmas lights are just “seasonal”. I have three different strands of lights up all year long, one in each room and one on my outdoor balcony. These lights are perfect for parties, romantic evenings, etc.
3. Candles/Incense: Dorm room or apartment landlord permitting, candles and incense really help an apartment feel more homey. They also help stave off the smell of your cat’s litter box, which is always a plus.
4. Posters: Posters aren’t as expensive as you think they are, but poster frames are ridiculously expensive. And you can’t buy the cheap ones, they fall apart instantly- you have to buy the $40 ones. My advice to you, buy posters and hang them up carefully with pushpins or tape.
5. Clocks: Buy a cool clock off Society6 or RedBubble for $25. It’s my belief that the right clock can help brighten up an otherwise dull-looking room. I bought my boyfriend this Bob’s Burgers clock for his birthday last year.
6. Shower: You don’t need to use the low-grade weak shower head that came with your bathroom. You can buy color changing shower heads and spa quality shower heads on Amazon for $25. Go forth! Always keep your old shower head somewhere safe, and put it back on when you’re ready to move out. There are lots of great and truly unique shower curtains out there on the internet, but they’re expensive. You’re better off buying one from Target or Walmart.
7. Night lights: I am the sort of person who always needs to pee at 3am. I have always used night lights in my bathroom and kitchen because they’re so much better than blundering around in the dark. Similar to the Xmas lights, they help create that “mood”. I have these cute little lava lamp night lights.
9. Chalkboard paint: Dorm room or apartment landlord permitting, chalkboard paint can help turn your room into a perpetual canvas. A friend of mine from college did this to his incredibly small room, and it looked so good.
10. Beaded curtain: Beaded curtains help make small spaces appear larger. We have a beaded curtain hanging in our hallway currently, and it’s great. You don’t need a super expensive one that was handmade by the indigenous people of wherever. Just a simple one to put in a doorway or hang on the wall to change your space.
My brother, inspired by the Marth pentagram post, made a pentagram out of glow-in-the-dark duct tape in hopes of summoning Camilla. Instead he got a 5-star Takumi. The irony of it. The Camilla pentagram summoned Takumi. He was attracted by all the Nohrian Scum
-THIS IS NOT A TEST
-IMMEDIATE THREAT FOR RESIDENTS OF [withheld] COUNTIES
-BE WARY OF:
-RESIDENTS ARE ADVISED TO STAY INDOORS
-PLEASE LOCK OR BAR ALL ENTRYWAYS INTO YOUR HOUSE
-RESTRAIN FROM USING ANY DEVICES THAT EMIT LIGHT OR LOUD NOISE
-PLEASE ENTER A ROOM WITH NO WINDOWS
-ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE
This was the message I was greeted by in the middle of an episode of
Big Bang Theory in my living room. Frozen halfway through a forkful of
Kraft Mac N’ Cheese, I sat bolt upright and turned around to look out
the window. The sky, as I thought, was crystal clear. A few clouds, but
nothing crazy. No rain. No thunder. Nothing. Confused, I turned off the
TV, erasing the alert from the screen. My two dogs came walking over to
me and I patted them on their heads. One of my dogs, the other’s
brother, was shaking profusely from the buzzing noise that always shows
up with Amber Alerts and the like. I left them in the living room and
walked through my kitchen and onto my front porch. My neighbors, too,
were standing outside their houses, all looking at the sky in
honestly ive never conceptualized a domestic future self until now and truly???? i cant wait to surprise my gf with breakfast in bed and shopping specifically for her favorite scent of laundry detergent