AHH thank you!!
I’m really bad about using smart correct ART terms for what I do lol so idk how useful any advice I give would be but
Main source of inspiration is just.. I really love colors lol. Colors make me SO HAPPY and I guess using more = more happy lmao, that’s why most of my stuff is so saturated.
As far as character palettes go, what I do is figure out 3-4 dominant colors that fit the character and then make every other color compliment those colors. For in-game characters I’ll eyeball the palette straight off the models and then alter each color so they work together a little better.
In Photoshop I put every color on it’s own separate layer and then mess with the sliders in Image>Adjustments>Hue/Saturation on each individual color until I like it. I might find one color I really like and alter the colors around it to compliment it.
90% of what I do is push those sliders around until I like what I see. \o/ If you do this enough you’ll start to passively learn what colors feel best together and against each other. I’ve been doing it for yeeears.
Sometimes even if I like a color it’s good to slide it around anyway to see if I can make a stronger or more interesting palette.
Most of my stuff is very saturated and rainbowy because I LIKE EVERY COLOR and every color can work together if you mess around with it enough lol
Design is important but the colors you use should be part of the story too. Color should always make you feel something because color speaks! Sometimes it’s very soft and sometimes it’s very loud, but it’s like the music that goes along with the narration. It sets the atmosphere of a piece.
I LOVE using limited palettes too, though. Limiting my colors to just 3-4 forces me to tell the story more clearly because I can’t rely on colors to make certain things obvious. Makes me think a lil different because layers and opacity can turn few colors into many.
I usually only use limited palettes for comic/storytelling stuff, otherwise I make everything rainbow lol COLOR MAKES ME SO HAPPY and I wanna share that happiness!
Hi! I love the way you use colors on your drawings! Do you have any tips for choosing colors? I always seem to mess them up ;( (Pd: love your comic! ♡)
Hellooo! Aaaa thanks so much!!! Oh gosh! I’m known to be TRULY wild with my color choice so I’m unsure if I’m qualified..! But, regardless, I’d love to help!
To start, there’s no harm in using references for colors, similarly with how you’d use reference for drawing poses, backgrounds, clothing, etc. Here are some sites:
colourlovers - this is my favorite one! Sometimes I’ll search a random word (like “happy,” “friends,” “sunshine,” “sadness”) and pick what I think would fit the mood of my piece. A lot of times I’ll end up editing the colors to fit more what I want, adding a color that complements the rest, or adjusting the values of the colors so my piece will be more balanced. But overall it gives you great ideas and can be a fun exercise to limit yourself with their palettes 💖
pictaculous - upload a photo/pic you like and get a limited color scheme for it!
(anyone please feel free to link other resources in the comments!)
If you’re struggling more with technicalities, I have some tips, too 😁:
1) Don’t rely on local color
This is sort of funny but I didn’t even know what the term “local color” meant until, like, my 3rd year of college? LOL anyway, there’s no reason to use real colors ever! Instead of making your color scheme work around your subject, try stylizing your color choice! Settle on a color scheme and substitute the local color with one that might be similar (or just go wild). For example:
red sand might remind you of brown sand
purple sidewalk might remind you of grey sidewalks (or maybe just sidewalks with a nighttime feeling?)
Landon’s hair is pink instead of red + a pink cactus because I’m Wild
2) Limit your color scheme
It may or may not be obvious that I love to use as few colors as possible… LOL. Doing this is super exciting IMO, because you literally only choose the colors you like!!! DOWN WITH BROWN! I don’t ike brown………… except to eat chocolate
1st img, I used the same red for hair + shirt, the same orange in the jacket details + shoes, and for the jacket + pants I used the same grey but used the color slider and made the pants lighter
2nd img, I used a formula where there’s pink hair/shirt/shorts/shoes (note: that kid is a brunette but I made him have pink hair) + grey hair/shirt/pants/shoes + purple accessories…………….. do you see it, like a zig-zag? Fun, right? 😁
3rd img is where I most obviously used limited colors. I’m sure not every furniture in a house will be blue/purple/green but those are the colors I chose when I started so I just used them! You can do the same with clothing. Nothing has to be real 🎉 WE’RE WILD AND FREE 🎉
3A) Try not to use black or grey
I mean, if it’s part of your color scheme, go for it! But black and 100% grey are pretty heavy and don’t always add to color schemes, especially if you’re trying to be more stylized with them.
in the first 2 examples, the outfits (including the cat bag) are supposed to be all black–but I used shades of purple instead.
3rd img, rather than using just straight up grey, I gave it a more purple-leaning (RGB color code R: 188, G: 169, B: 188)
3B) DON’T LIMIT YOURSELF WITH BLACK LINEART!
Changing the lineart color makes suuuuch a huge difference. I very rarely use black lines in my colored pieces! I go back-and-forth using a lineart color that:
contrasts most of the colors of the piece ➡️ like using a blue line when most of the colors are oranges/yellows or
complements them ➡️ like using a dark purple line in a piece that’s many shades of purples/blues
4) Experiment with overlays
Add a layer on top of your colors/lines ➡️ fill a color (purple? pink? blue?) ➡️ set the layer style to overlay, screen, color burn, soft light, whatever, anything you like! ➡️ lower the opacity (so it’s not super wild, if you want)! Sometimes this will balance the piece by having the colors all lean towards the one color you filled the layer with.
Don’t be afraid to use fill/adjustment layers in Photoshop and play around with the color balance!
5) Think about and plan your colors
Maybe try thinking about what colors mean? Very basically, as an example:
warm colors, yellows, oranges = feels happier
cool colors, blues, purples = sadder, more somber
like, if your goth kid is sad, maybe you’d use cooler and darker tones
maybe your character is super angry so you’ll use a violent, loud shade of red
I say this but all my works are rainbow, so…… LOLOL 😂
Anyway, those are my ideas! I’m not very fancy… //// in fact, I don’t even like to color LOLOL but those are the sorts of things I go with! If you have more questions, feel free to ask. 😚 Most of all, HAVE FUN! Best wishes!!! 💖💖💖
Last year I wanted to try doing thatscene redraw thing people do alot so I decided to screenshot Strange Magic and here ya go. I loved sketching this and I was super proud of it when I finished it. I mean, it’s still good but it’s not as “perfect” as I remember lol. I spend a lot of time drawing Bog King, not because it was difficult but because it was so much fun. Less details could’ve sufficed…
This is actually very good way to practice stuff, now that I think about it. I did sketch out more screenshots but I did them traditionally so I can’t add them here (My scanner sucks and I don’t feel like tweaking them for hours so they’ll look good). I still don’t do color.
gonna use this mob to finally explain my COLORING PROCESS.. and how i go from these base colors to the final product ..
i always start with my base colors, which are almost always the same, so i keep a color palette to choose from. I usually pick the skin tone first and then change the hue for diff colors (I sometimes change the saturation and brightness too) The example below is the skin tone i use almost Always.. and of course it can be changed later on
Felt like like making a thing for the fic I posted. I did my best but I just cannot get the Lolirock style down. But I DID have fun putting my otp in new outfits. Lol I went nuts with the color filters haha. Also I suck at both backgrounds and shading so please don’t mind them too much. I just wanted it to look like my interpretation of the country Mephisto and Prax may have come from. I like to imagine it as a swampy region, lol.
In my fic, Talia and mephisto are betrothed (to prevent tge in-canon war Gramorr started) and its awkward and horrible cos he’s super drunk.
So I planned to actually scan this and make it cleaner but honestly if I waited any longer it may never get done haha.
This method of making sigils is really really versatile, and really great if you’re trying to keep your craft lowkey since you can easily pass them off as just doodles! :)
Some things to keep in mind:
• Any alphabet/lettering system will work, as well as any orientation! Make it a circle, make it with only vowels, make it with more than one of each letter. Its up to you!
• The steps of connecting the dots & drawing in stars are interchangeable. You can connect first just as well as you can make the stars first, whichever you prefer!
• You don’t NEED to make them stars. Make them hearts, just dots, something that appeals to you personally & fits your needs. I sometimes make the stars colored on letters only used once, and open on ones used multiple times.
So, I hope I haven’t missed anything and maybe I’ll put forth a larger effort to make a more coherent guide at some point!
Have fun & thank you for reading!
(side note: I meant to include a typed out version of the text since my handwriting can be super sloppy but I just don’t have the energy, feel free to do so if you feel inclined!)
Let us fill the Gruvia tag with some positivity! What are your top 5 Gruvia moments? :)
Good idea! ^^
1) Chapter 416 boob hug. No matter what’s come after, the excitement and the enjoyment, even years afterward, are still such fond memories for me. It was just such a surprise when it happened, even though we had been waiting months for Gray and Juvia to reunite. I knew we would get something good, but I never really thought it would truly be that. I had begun writing a fic at the time that had Gray and Juvia in that exact same kind of hug for the same kind of reason, so my wishes literally came true with that moment. Juvia was truly going to walk away from Gray forever, but he STOPPED her. He HUGGED her. He sought her for comfort. And in that moment, as Juvia held him to her, that ice mage, who had been cold for so long, felt warm. My HEART. ;_; Plus, it’s always nice to see Gruvia physical contact hee. And it was just a nice cap to a really great arc, as well. And IMO they have been practically canon since this moment. If the series had ended there it would have been implied canon.
2) 499 Gray and Juvia sacrifice themselves for each other. I wanted Juvia to “die” since the end of the GMG arc. I thought it was important for their storyline, so I thought it needed to happen. BUT, I never imagined Gray would sacrifice himself at the same time. It’s an incredibly powerful thing in Japanese literature for lovers to suicide together. And Gray and Juvia did it out of a deep love for each other. As Gray corrected himself, “I didn’t want to hurt a friend, NO, I didn’t want to ever hurt YOU.” Juvia said Gray’s words made her happy for a reason. Gray right then and there told her she was so much more than just a friend to him. Also, this is the only scene that has every made me cry while reading FT. Juvia’s parting words in Gray’s mind did that to me. Those pages were beautiful. Plus, I love all the parallels between Juvia and Ur here. And I STILL think Gray totally kissed her when she was dying in his arms. So, I hope that is confirmed one day. *-*
3) Gruvia Unison Raid. The rest of these were really hard to choose between and put in any kind of order. So I’m going simply by how surprised and excited I was when I read them. And the Unison Raid was super exciting and fun at the time. Especially in fandom since I was still pretty new to the FT fandom then and could just enjoy all the art and colorings, and happiness about it. It was the unison raid of LOVE after all. ^-^ And they had those beautiful color pages, and the looks and smiles they gave each other, and the hand holding, and the team work, and it was just such a happy and enjoyable development! And Chelia (and perhaps Lyon lol) was added on the growing list of in-story Gruvia shippers lmao!
4) I’m here with you. I got spoiled on this one, so it wasn’t a surprise to me when I read it, but it was still such an amazing moment. I love that Gray took Juvia’s hand to comfort her. I love that they were riding so close together, and Juvia had her arms around Gray. I loved that Juvia remained serious and solemn even after Gray consoled her and said those important words. And I loved the foreshadowing of what was to come. It guaranteed that both Gray and Juvia would somehow be involved with this mysterious Silver character, and much angst would follow. ^-^
5) Ok, I’m going to cheat now, because I can’t choose lmao. 453, Gray thinking about Juvia during the Silver fight, the sensory link, and Gray saving Juvia from Ultear are all such important moments to me for different reasons.
453 obviously had Gray being a lot more honest and straightforward with Juvia than ever before. He was all cute and flirty when offering her the candy bar. He admitted that he was grateful to have her, always by his side. And he broached the subject of Juvia’s feelings all on his own, by promising to give her an answer. That in itself, was simply a reinforcement of what I personally already thought was obvious from 416. That Gray’s feelings for Juvia were mutual, otherwise there would have been no point of giving her a new answer. It was just such a big deal, and it gave us something to look forward to for their development in the current arc, while also casting a giant angst shadow over their heads. So, it was exciting.
Gray thinking about Juvia during his Silver fight was AMAZING. I had read the spoilers at the time, and it has said Gray had pictured all of his friends, and Ur, and Juvia, etc.. And I thought, oh well at least he thought of her. BUT, I had no idea until we got the chapter, that she had taken up such a blatantly large part of Gray’s thoughts! And it was a whole new panel, too, unlike all the others which were repeats. And she looked so beautiful and was calling his name so lovingly. And it was just wonderful to have it confirmed how Gray REALLy thinks of Juvia. Not some annoying, inconvenience, but a beautiful girl who’s affections and presence he treasures. ;_;
The Sensory link during the Meredy fight needs to be mentioned, because it was when I a) became a huge Juvia fan because she was so badass, and b) when I realized that Gruvia would one day be canon. And that thought excited me immensely, because I had never considered the possibility before. Juvia’s feelings always came off as just a running gag to me at the time. And yet here the author was, reinforcing Juvia’s feelings by reminding us that yes, she truly LOVES Gray. And that Juvia as a character, would not be tortured like this, if her feelings wouldn’t one day be reciprocated by Gray. And the idea of their relationship being developed to that point thrilled me. So it was a combination of things that just made this fight so great!
And finally Gray saving Juvia from Ultear. Again, it reinforced my new love for this ship. When Ultear was about to slice Juvia’s head off, while saying that doing so would be taking away Gray’s future, and then Gray swooped in and saved her in such an epic way? LOVE. Because it was Gray’s side to match Juvia’s earlier fight. And Gray looked so pissed, and he was holding Juvia so tenderly, it was a lovely panel. *-* Even Juvia’s little subconscious smile when Gray said he wants to live with his comrades was again that parallel to Juvia’s earlier fight with Meredy. ^-^
*honorable mention* Juvia’s reveal and recollections of her and Gray living together during the Avatar arc. That was so huge. They LIVED together. 6 MONTHS. To the point that Juvia caught Gray’s stripping habit. Domestic Gruvia! Training, eating and working together! They had a home and a life together! Just wow. ;_;
hopefully i will have some new stuff to post soon, but in the meantime, here is a collab between me and the lovely cloudedart that we finished quite a while ago and i .. f orgot to … p o st…….. haa aha…. she did the beautiful lines and i colored !
thank you for collabing with meeee, this was sUPER FUN !