Not that it excuses his actions...
…but let’s look into what we know about Blaine’s past; and why he is the way he is.
- His father was neglectful both of Blaine and his mother.
- He didn’t listen/care when Blaine’s mother was suicidal and asked for help.
- Which led to Blaine’s mother committing suicide, because Angus didn’t bother locking up his gun.
- You’d expect this would cause him to act/lash out, misbehave… too bad his his nanny was an abusive witch who-
- Beat him.
- Made him clean the floor with his tongue.
- Locked him in a fucking dog cage.
- Killed his dog because he stole a pack of gum.
- His father knew about all the abuse, but did nothing to stop it.
- Blaine found comfort/peace/solace in music, but then his hero Kurt Cobain ended up killing himself… exactly like his mother did.
- The only person who gave a shit about him, his grandfather, was shuffled off to hospice care under shady circumstances.
- He actually was smart. He had aspirations; developed widgets and such… but got kicked out of school because he partied.
- He ended up selling beer/drugs to teens on behalf of Mr. Boss… despite the fact he was a privileged rich kid. It’s not like he needed the money, he probably got sucked into it by his own drug use… which we saw in the pilot.
Blaine is not a good guy, but he’s certainly the lesser evil when we consider the likes of Vaughn and Mr. Boss. I’m not taking up or justifying anything he did, but looking at what he has done…
- He provides a service to Seattle’s zombies. While he turned many of them, which makes it extortion, we know he didn’t create all of them…
- He didn’t know about the tainted utopium/wasn’t exactly in control when he scratched Liv/when the boat party shit went down.
- We never saw Blaine have a vision in season one. I think this is key. I don’t think he ate the brains he sold… don’t you think he’d have some remorse or a moment of weakness where he turned himself in if he ate the brain of a teen who just saw one of his friends die? When he said he missed Zombie!Blaine and Liv called him out on the visions… his reaction was curious. We saw him kill some old running buddies in 1x02… it wouldn’t surprise me if even back then he was taking out the competition/Boss’ underlings. If they influenced his behavior, made him even more homicidal and despicable…
- Technically we don’t know if Blaine is guilty of murder. He’s certainly an accessory. He ordered and profited off of the killings, but he we never saw Blaine himself kill anyone first hand with the exception of:
-Jerome, who was already dying/escaping from Julien. You could see it as putting him finishing the job and putting him out of his misery. He caught the kid, he wasn’t going to escape… but rather than let him suffer..? I know, this one is reaching.
-Jackie, who killed one of his employees and was a liability.
-Lowell, but it was in self defense…
-His grandfather, though it was euthanasia as much as it was for vengeance against his father.
- He did try to kill Major, but to be fair Major just shot up his business and all his employees.
- He had nothing to do with what happened to Liv’s brother, aside from giving him the job in the first place. The person to blame for the explosion was Suzuki.
- The Zombie Hooker was already a call girl, he didn’t force her into prostitution so much as appointed himself her pimp… which itself is skeevy and gross.
- Though he wasn’t forthcoming with Peyton, his interest in her seemed sincere; and even when she wanted to resign he tried to talk her out of it. Not for the sake of his moving against Mr. Boss, but her career. He actually seemed to care about her.
- Though it’s to protect his own bottom line, he is cooperating both with Liv and now Major. His definition of BFF is overstating it, but he’s more of an uneasy ally than he is an enemy
- He actually seemed to care about some of his employees. While some were/are disposable… see season one; he actually seems to have a fondness for Don E. and Chief. Even Candy, the girl who does his makeup. He gave her the chance to get revenge against his dad. It’s because of him that Angus had the latter two mutilated, but Blaine seemed to compensate them. Chief, the only zombie in Blaine’s employ… that we know of, got time off…
Blaine is not a good dude. Is he tragic and sympathetic? To a degree, but he’s also power-hungry, sadistic and narcissistic. All that said…