Allura is not racist
Hello guys, let me introduce myself: I’m a bisexual, black girl from a Third World country. So I’m very familiar with how people hating you for your gender, skin color and sexuality feels like. I’m very familiar with how a genocide looks like.
After Voltron season 2 released people get wild and started a true witch hunt towards Allura, everybody with the same damn thing: she’s being racist with Keith. I’m not gonna start with what was behind her reaction cause I think everybody that have something called brain in their heads already get it… if you don’t, read this is just a waste of time to you. But let me make some things clear:
- ‘Coran is not hating him, so the fact that galrans killed their people is not an excuse’ good job on telling how someone should feel about, you know, everybody that you knows and loves brutally murdered. Coran is way older than her, he has more experience, what makes him wiser and reasonable… she still a teenager that loves flowers and sparky things so if you expect she reacting in any other way you’re insane cause she just don’t have maturity enough fot it. Zarkon was a close friend to her dad, probably someone that the whole family loved and trusted, alteans and galrans builded the Black Lion together and they were betrayed in the end. A few nice galran aren’t enough to help her deal with this huge trauma (trauma that she wasn’t able to face yet cause since the moment she waked everything the girl did was fight and control the castle)
- ‘Pidge lost her dad to galrans and shes not hating Keith’ her dad and brother can be both alive and well; back on Earth her mother is okay and she has friends that are doing fine, she has a HOME. Allura lost EVERYTHING to Zarkon and his army, EVERY. SINGLE, DAMN, THING. Keith was well in the academy for being the best pilot, well know for Pidge, so of course is easy for her to see that he’s far from what we have seeing from galrans, but for Allura he’s just a guy that she barely knows for a few months - he keep the knife a secret this whole time for a reason, Keith himself knew the fact that he could have galra blood could put the trust on him in risk, he knew that was expected.
- ‘her apology wasn’t enough’ sweetie, you’re completely wrong and I’ll explain why: when someone give a half-assed apology for a minority is something like ‘That wasn’t my intention’ ‘ I was joking’ ‘I’m sorry, wrong choose of words’ we’re used to it and we get when the person is just trying to act cool… but when is someone saying I’M WRONG, I WAS BLIND, YOU STILL YOU, THE PERSON I KNOW AND TRUST, DOESN’T MATTER YOUR BLOOD well, the things are just different. What more you want from her? She kill herself in shame? She get down on her knee begging forgivem? Just cut the crap.
- ‘the arc was a parallel to racism/ coming out/ something similar’ not saying it wasn’t, but interesting how people just jumped to the conclusion that its all about Keith and thats it. We don’t know yet if he’s one of the lgbtq+ characters (I’m hoping he is, but we don’t know) what we know is that this girl just have to deal with a huge fight, with a huge responsability that put her mind and body on stress everytime, and a HUGE lost. Maybe, just maybe, the arc was about a pretty great character development where to keep fighting and in the right way the princess should deal with her feelings and accept that the alteans fate is not a duty for all the galrans, but Zarkon’s sin. Maybe, the arc was about being bigger than hate and not a victim of it… and tells me alot the fact that part of the fandom is not seeing it.
Now we let these things clear, lets talk about the big elephant in the room: racism. Tumblr is a great place when people talk openly about their fears, their angry with society problems and empathy in general. Because of this probably a few fellas think they know how be part of a specific minority feels like when they have no idea:
- racism is know you’ll have to straight your hair everytime you have an interview or another important appointment
- racism is watch how you talk everytime you’re out of home cause people always twist your words
- racism is freeze a little bit when you’re on street and see a police car
- racism is the instinct to lower the head and pretend to be invisible everytime a group of white people cross your way, specially if they look rich
- racism is never be alllowed to get mad, even when you’re right to get mad, cause ‘poc have such a temper’
- racism is hear bad “jokes” about your race your whole life and when you say something is like ‘wooooa, you don’t have humor, whats wrong with you?’
- racism is hear bad “jokes” about your race your whole life and when you make one about white people is like ‘wooooa, these stereotypes aren’t cool’
- racism is know everytime a poc is on tv she’s a bitch, a poor thing that can’t defend herself or the violent character
- racism is know everytime a poc model in on magazine, her beauty will be described as ‘exotic’ or ‘tropical’
- racism is what KILLS MY PEOPLE
Racism is not angry stares or someone being rude for two days cause they’re confused, feeling betrayed. Racism is make the person feel like NOTHING. EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. So watch out before start using this word that means a lot for poc, real people, just as an excuse to hate a fictional character in a pretty careless and disrespectful way. Specially a representative fictional character like Allura. I don’t care if her behavior is out of the “Space Mom” thing, I don’t care if her bond with Keith make you worry about your shipp, I don’t care if you “have to protect your spacial babe” even if that means be really unfair with another character, racism is a real thing and not some silly joke to be used when you want to.
I hope this helps people to understand and think about their actions a little bit.