After watching Justice League me and my friends sat around to watch The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl for the meme and I kid you not, Skarkboy is literally just the proto-version of Jason Momoa’s Aquaman.
Like at first I was joking but the similarities became too numerous to ignore:
- They’re both water-based superheros
- Both are hot heads who cooperate very poorly with others
- Both have grandiose delusions of ruling the ocean
- Both have terribly designed, impractical costumes
- They show up outta nowhere
- Are “badass” in the sense of what an adolescent boy thinks is badass.
- Kinda assholes
- They can both talk to fish
- Both were raised by single fathers
I think the only differences between Aquaman and Sharkboy is that Sharkboy is actually entertaining to watch, and his characterization isn’t an embarrassing attempt to make his character seem “cool” by a bunch of of weenies who’re deeply embarrassed by the fact that they’re making a movie based on characters that were made for and largely appeal to children.
Think about how proud Zack Snyder must’ve been when he came up with his version of Aquaman. Think about the fact that a 50 year old grown man sat down one day and went “I know what we should do, lets make Aquaman the Wolverine of the Justice League! Yeah! Lets make him really ‘badass’ and huge and and and make fun of the fact that he can talk to fish!” and the best he could come up with is no better than what an 8 year old came up with in his fucking dreams.