Do you have any advice for someone who has both depression and anxiety?
Well, I don’t know how much help I can be, but
1) Just know “you are not alone”. There is always someone who cares, and someone who is willing to listen. Find yourself someone who will listen to you when you need to talk to someone about how youre feeling. This could be a friend, significant other, parents, internet friend. I guarantee you there will be someone who will want to do anything to help you, whether to give you a shoulder to cry on, to cheer you up, or to calm you down when youre anxious. You are not a burden, and you are NEVER alone
2) If you are someone like me whose sadness or anxiety shows in the form of a lot of physical tension, I would really recommend getting a little stress ball to carry around with you and you can crush or scratch at. I know it helps me.
3) Similarly, I reccomend carrying around a small little token that reminds you of someone you love and makes you feel safe or happy. Whenever you feel anxious or sad, take that out and just hold it or play with it. I have a worry stone my girlfriend gave me, and a necklace from her as well that I hold when I feel anxious or alone.
4) Something my girlfriend does is carry around a bag of chocolate chips everyday. She takes this out whenever one of the two of us, or even someone else, is sad, because chocolate releases endorphins which makes you happier. I don’t know how much it helped, but we always kept an emergency stash of chocolate.
5) Self harm is never a good option, but if you feel like you want to cut yourself or something of that nature, an better alternative is to scratch at your arm with your nails, or dig your nails into your arm. This wont have any lasting damage, and is definitely safer, but still may help? Still, wouldn’t really reccomend. Better still, draw lines on your skin where you want to cut with a pen or eyeliner pencil.
6) Make two playlists- one with calming music for when you feel anxious, and another with feel-good music for when you feel depressed. Whenever you need to, and whenever you can, step away and put in earbuds and listen to the music. Focus on the words and the beat, and the music, nothing else. Stay like this until you feel a bit better
7) Look up one of those breathing excersises online, the ones where you watch the shapes fold and unfold and breathe in time with them. Breathing is important, especially during an anxiety attack.
8) If theres a traceable reason for feeling anxious or depressed in that moment, write it out. Sometimes it helps to sort out your thoughts. Id reccomend texting someone what you feel and asking them to help you analyze whats going on.
9) Look up pictures of kittens or other baby animals. Focus on how adorable they are, and dont think about what is wrong. Theres good in the world, like these little animals
10) Try to think things through logically. What is making anxious? Then determine what the most likely outcome of the scenario is; not the worst case scenario. Most times things don’t happen exactly how we imagine in our heads, so the worst case scenario you are imagining, will more than likely not happen
11) If you havent already, get help. Talk to an adult or a professional or someone who has dealt with this before. Don’t underestimate getting professional help, they are specialists for a reason
12) You are not alone. No matter what your depression or anxiety is telling you, you are beautiful and talented and smart and perfect and unique, and there will always, always be someone out there that loves you more than the world itself.
I hope this helped even a little bit. Other people- Please add on with your own tips!!
I love you, I love you all, if you ever need anything, feel free to message me