“She stared miserably at Olaf’s plate of food and found herself wishing she had bought poison at the market and put it in the puttanesca sauce.” -The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket
Spaghetti alla Puttanesca
- 1 package of spaghetti
- 4 or 5 fresh tomatoes, diced, or one can of diced tomatoes
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- A handful of olives and capers, diced
- 3 tablespoons (approx.) of olive oil
- Parsley for garnish
- Salt, pepper, sugar, and red pepper flakes to taste
- [optional] Anchovies
- Cook the pasta according to package directions in lightly salted water. When done, toss with olive oil.
- While the pasta is cooking, sauté the garlic¹ and anchovies in olive oil.
- Once the garlic is browned, add the tomatoes to the pan. Reduce, a word which here means “thickening a liquid by cooking over a low heat.” If the sauce is too tart, add a pinch of sugar.
- Add the olives and capers, and stir. Season with salt, black pepper, and red pepper to taste.
- Spoon sauce over spaghetti. Serve with a sprig or two of parsley.
¹To prevent the garlic from sticking to the knife, sprinkle each clove with salt before cutting.