In case somebody asks you why people ship McHanzo, you can just link them to this post.
1) Their personalities [ie, the rough and tumble, clever charming cowboy and the severe, noble, disciplined, dutiful archer] are extremely shippable (see: Han Solo and Princess Leia for similar personality types). Referred to as the “odd couple” phenomenon by Matthew Mercer, voice actor of Mccree.
1a) Matthew Mercer explaining the McHanzo ship and putting in McHanzo lines during his panels and his on the spot voice acting for Mccree
1b) Ships in which one character is “tsundere” are popular as well; where one is presumably more open than the other, who is more closed off about their feelings, though in the realm of fanwork this is often an inverted trope
2) The east-west symmetry; in which Hanzo represents the [stereo]typical anachronistic eastern warrior where Mccree represents the [stereo]typical western gunslinger (see: the popularity of interracial romances)
2a) Kurosawa Samurai films were inspired by early Hollywood Westerns; later Westerns were inspired by Kurosawa Samurai films. The “love affair” of Samurai and Cowboy films has gone on for decades
3) Visually appealing; both handsome, buff, middle-aged men–a fandom staple. Also both perfectly contrasting each other in color scheme; Mccree = Red (serape, ult), Hanzo = Blue (clothing accents, ult)
4) Interactions in-game: Junkenstein’s revenge in which Hanzo and Mccree share stories and drinks; followup lines referencing the drinks they shared, Mccree complimenting Hanzo on his shots, a recent addition of Mccree following up his drinks with presumably with Hanzo (
“the next one’s on me” )
5) Their similarities in age, personality and backstory; both with criminal pasts they’re trying to make up for. Both are about the same age and have the same background in stealth, assassination, unsavory dealings.Both are skilled fighters and sharpshooters who have dealt with the dark side of the world, who are seemingly unfit to be heroes but also most compelling in their (in Hanzo’s case, presumed) heroism.
5a) Because of their difficult pasts, the idea of them being happy is appealing. More so the idea of them being happy together, because of the appeal of romance to many fans. Which is why domestic headcanons of them are also very popular.
6) The sheer content generated and the popularity of the ship makes it more appealing to ship: the amount of good art, good fanfiction, and positive energy from both creators and many fans makes the ship appealing to those who are new to it.
7) LGBT ships are more common than het ones by virtue of wish fulfillment; because there is an extreme lack of LGBT content, let alone LGBT romance in media, LGBT ships are more popular within fandom. Also, because of the number of women in fandom who are by the numbers, largely straight, male/male pairings are often more popular than female/female pairings, unless the number of female characters is balanced or there are more female characters in a fandom (see: Once Upon a Time), or female personalities are made more compelling in the show (see: Legend of Korra).
Those are the ones I can think of right now, but there are likely a ton more reasons people ship McHanzo, and I hope people continue to enjoy the Overwatch fandom because all this creativity is amazing. Please do click through the links of the posted photos to reblog the original posts and support the artists!
Authors Note: Hey guys! Just to let you know, the boys’ dialogue is written in italics, I’m sorry for any confusion and I hope you enjoy :)
To you Justin Foley was the new boy next door. He was cheeky and incredibly flirtatious with you, even when he caught your eye at school he still managed to make you smile. Your parents initially had their personal reservations about Justin because of his troublesome background but they soon came around to loving him, as did you. Justin would always catch you on your way to school so you two could walk in together “Morning, beautiful” “Sup, Foley”
Being a new transfer student to Liberty High, you were surprised to have received an invite to the upcoming weekend house party. Despite parties not being your favourite social setting you figured it would be the best way to meet new people and make friends. Here, you met Alex. The boy with the impeccable fashion taste and sarcastic tongue. “Hey, it’s Y/N right?” “Yeah, Alex? I think you’re in my music class?” “ That’s me, it’s nice to see someone with some social depth at one of these things” “Thanks, I’m guessing you’re having copious amounts of fun then?” “It’s a party, so I’m pretending to have fun. (see gif) Now that you’re here though I might not have to pretend”
Over the summer your parents had practically forced you to take a job at the towns local theatre, in an attempt to help grow your independence as well as simply getting you out of the house; a decision you honestly didn’t feel too fondly about. The only positive to your first day at work was meeting Clay. Clay Jenson. He was adorably awkward and sweet, making you physically unable to stop smiling whenever you were around him. Somehow this one guy made the rest of your working summer seem exciting. “Hey Clay, maybe I was wrong. Maybe this summer won’t suck that much after all.” “It won’t, well… not if I can help it, Y/N.”
Your best friend Clay Jenson had lost yet another bet with his older friend, Jeff Atkins. Thus resulting in the both of you attending a generic and seemingly underwhelming high school party. Personally, you had never had the pleasure of meeting Jeff until that unexpectedly amazing night. Clay had always admired the guy, which made Jeff’s perfect first impression to you even more genuine. The two of you instantly hit it off. “I’m sorry Jenson but where on earth have you been hiding Y/N? She’s crazy beautiful.”
Despite seeing Zach around the corridors of Liberty High and catching his more than impressive performance in the odd couple of basketball games, the two of you had never really been given the opportunity to speak. That was until Mrs Bradley decided to pair you two up for a class project. Zach was a lot sweeter than you had imagined and the two of you ended up getting along really well. “Not going to lie, Y/N, I’m kinda sad this little project is over.” “Really?” “Yeah, now I need to find another good excuse to hang out with you everyday.”
A Eulogy for all the Homestuck ships that didn't make it.
Sunk by a meme. Tragic.
Sunk by a violent stabbing, also Tragic.
JadeJohn and DaveRose:
Goddamn, Hussie pulled a George Lucas on us there. "You like that ship? Well they're related now, whoopsie!"
Well, you'll always have A03 at least.
The forgotten Beta ship. You were cute.
You were a thing apparently? Well the fanart was cute.
You'll always have the Shelby Cragg AU's at least.
I have so many sad and complicated feelings towards you. It's hard and nobody understands.
There was so much unexplored potential and too much offscreen development.
Never liked you, but you deserved better than a bunch of people throwing a fit over a t-shirt.
I'll miss the <3<, and your Sprite.
God remember that anon that really really really hated this ship? Remember the harassment and gore submissions? That shit was wild... and creepy. Don't do this over fictional relationships kids.
Never saw that one coming did we?
I will Remem8er You!
Confirmed? Sunk? Aw well, you had a good run.
"We coulda had it aaaaaaall"
A foot note in the backstory that could have been explored more.
Sunk offscreen no less! A true shame.
Retconned out of existence and the two don't even talk anymore. Ouch.
Fuck all of you this was cute.
Sigh. Rest in Peace Vriskan, may the shippers sing you to your grave.
Wow, that was an odd couple wasn't it?
The genres vary this week, as always. We’ve got beauty vlogs, lifestyle vlogs, cooking vlogs, music vlogs, talk show set ups, and a bunch of other types of content! One thing is for sure, and the whole point of this entire project: these are all LGBT+ YouTubers. A lot of them are here on Tumblr too! So I added their @’s for you as well.
If you think I’ve mislabeled someone (as in, if I have put them in this list or in the gifs above when they aren’t LGBT+), please tell me immediately as there’s nothing I value more than accuracy - I will be sure to follow up. In addition! If you’ve got recs, don’t hesitate to send them my way(particularly LGBT+ YouTubers who are people of color - I was underwhelmed to see the vast yet not so diverse YouTube vlogging landscape when it came to popularity.)
Next week: LGBT+ HISTORY - a compilation of academic journals, articles, autobiographies, YouTube videos, and other types of media that cover the long and too often glossed over history of the vast and diverse LGBT+ community. If you have any recommendations, send them my way!
Enjoy: LGBT+ YOUTUBERS
Pero Like - “Pero, like… You know what we mean. Weekly videos of tu vida.” A Latinx-oriented vlog in which one of the YouTubers is Salvadoran and gay, but LGBT topics are not the main thing they vlog about
Claudia Boleyn - A bisexual YouTuber who makes videos about mental health and social justice issues
Miles Jai (giffed above) - Posts improv sketches, parodies, “beauty tutorials”, as well as vlogs
Kat Blaque@katblaque (giffed above) - “Opinion Vlogger, Children’s Illustrator and Thrift Store Addict”
Sara@rnashallah (giffed above) - Totally not putting her up here because we’ve been mutuals on Tumblr for like mad long and I’m just very fond of Sara as a person. She vlogs about her life and tbh that alone is worth a sub in my book!
Eileen W.@peeves (giffed above) - Another good friend of mine (let me live). HILARIOUS, sarcastic, honest, and is pretty much always there to Validate You, so support her and subscribe!
Kid Fury@signedfury - “Born in Miami and raising hell in New York City, Kid Fury is a media mouthpiece with a whole lot of nerve. This channel is one of many avenues Fury uses to cover life, pop culture and more with a unique and sharp flare of truth, shade, and fuckery.”