so, why should I watch the Magicians? :-)
SUCH A GOOD QUESTION:
There are many reasons. Here’s a few!
1. for anyone who grew up on tales of narnia (or similar) it’s a fascinating look at how we escape into fantasy and what fantasy as reality might be like. It’s got at least three or four layers of meta commentary going on at once, which is FUN to talk about and analyze and discuss.
2. All the women on this show are power houses and amazing, they are also dynamic and detailed and NOT one note which I really like. There is a dearth of complex female characters in the fantasy world and I’m glad they’re filling that void a bit
3. Platonic friends exist in this show. Messed up, unhealthy, “we’re all just trying to cope and get by” relationships (friend and otherwise) also exist on this show. People are not good or evil, they are broken and weird and struggling. It’s a show about the mess of humanity and how we all deal with each other in that mess.
4. Some of the major themes of the show are really near and dear to me like how we deal with trauma, the realities of mental illness, explorations of what it feels like to feel different or actually BE different and what all that means.
4. There are So Many attractive people it’s nice to look at.
5. ALSO the design work on the show is some of the best I’ve seen in a long time so that’s nice to look at too. It’s a visually stunning show, which is pretty amazing given that it’s made on a tiny genre sized budget i’m sure.
6. It never takes itself too seriously, which is so important to me in a genre show
7. At the same time it deals with some incredibly dark aspects of humanity, it plays in the messy grey areas of life and people and relationships and magic and trauma
Those are off the top of my head, general reasons that avoid spoilers of all kinds. It’s not a perfect show (there’s some pacing issues in the back half of the season especially, and it comes with a massive sexual assault trigger warning) but it’s rich and layered and i really love rich layered shows that I can talk about for a long time and re-watch and find new things in.