10 Reasons I should play Isak in the US Skam Remake
1. Isak and I are virtually indistinguishable from one another. Never before have I so closely, intensely related to a fictional character.
2. I can rock a snapback
3. I wrote, co-directed, and starred in a short film that won the Atlantic Youth Film Festival and went on to be featured at the Toronto International Film Festival High School Festival
4. REALLY want a blonde Isak? I’m game
5. I totally felt a Natural Connection™️ with Tarjei AND Henrik when I got to meet them
6. Trying to be straight™️? ME
7. I can cry. I mean, CRY cry. Ugly cry (but still look good)
8. Do you see that picture of me and my boy squad in front of a castle? Yeah. #boysquad
9. I’ve acted in almost a dozen plays, both through school and independently, as well as three short films, so I know what I’m doing, but am definitely an unknown.
10. Sitting on a bench? Sign me up
BONUS: I would do anything to play Isak Valtersen. Julie and Tarjei were able to expertly craft this phenomenal character that helped me grow as a person more than I ever thought a fictional character could. When I watch Skam, I see so much of myself in Isak. I took the exact same Gay Test as him. I laid awake for hours wondering if boys I liked, liked me back. I awkwardly came out to my friends when they heard it from other people first. I dated girls to prove to myself and people around me that I was straight. My first gay kiss was ripped right from a movie, only I was laying down like Sleeping Beauty and he got down on one knee and kissed me. I understand Isak because I am Isak. I’m the scared, lonely, angry closeted kid who makes other people guess who I like because it’s easier than telling them myself. I know US Skam won’t be able to replicate Julie and Tarjei’s Isak, because it never could. Nothing and nobody ever could. I don’t know if US Skam will be good; some remakes (The Office, Shameless) are amazing, others (Skins) are terrible. I hope US Skam is good, because I hope other people get to have characters they connect with the way I connect with Isak. I want to play Isak (or Isaac?) because I want to do for somewhat else what Tarjei did for me. I will always be grateful to him. I will never be able to thank him and Julie enough for Isak Valtersen.
If anybody important ever sees this and wants to give me a chance, I’ll be eternally grateful to you as well. :)