This week I had a lovely conversation with an older dyke who reminded me how much a lot of people have always hated TERFs and SWERFs.
She was talking about the time in the 1970s and 1980s when she was a young radical dyke and how many of the awesome dykes in the radical scene were trans women. So I asked her if there was ever any problem with TERFs and SWERFs. She didn’t know those words so I described them. Her reply was (paraphrasing a longer conversation):
“Oh, you mean the political lesbians? That’s what we called them at the time, no one really considered them radical. They hated everyone. They hated bisexual women who dated men. They hated us leather dykes and kinky dykes because they thought we were ‘copying the patriarchy’, they hated trans women. None of us in the radical scene liked them. A lot of them later left and admitted that they were straight but were presured to identify as lesbians in that group because being a feminist to them meant cutting all ties with men. They were like a cult. They often lived together and if you didn’t walk the political line you were dead to them. Intense stuff.
And like, I know her memories don’t have global relevance and there have also been places where TERFs had a much more prominent impact on the local radical women’s community, but still, to hear how despised these TERFs have always been by these truly radical dykes cheered me up a lot.
@therealjacksepticeye has reached 15 millions subscribers! That’s crazy!! AWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Jack, congratulations on reaching such a big milestone. 15 million people is an insane number. And now onwards to the next million! The characters of the amazing Night in the Woods celebrating with Jack at the Donut Wolf. A special cake was prepared! Thank you for always making us smile and laugh Jack. You always cheer my days up and make me feel safer at night when I can’t sleep. You have a big impact on my life and also my art. Thank you.
It would be REALLY FUCKIN GREAT if white people, SPECIFICALLY WHITE PEOPLE, would call out colorism and whitewashing within fandom.
When you leave it just to poc, not only are we having to look at things that actively harm us, but we’re having to waste time and energy on educating people.
But not only that, every single time we call it out, and I mean EVERY time, we also have to deal with racists coming out of the woodwork and harassing us for us calling it out, even months or years later on this garbage hellsite.
What can you do as a white person?
• educate YOURSELF
• educate fellow white people
• call colorism out when you see it
• when you see a poc trying to call it out, support them. Maybe message them to see if they’re okay, and definitely join in in the callout publicly to show that racism isn’t acceptable. (Just don’t talk over poc)
• QUIT SUPPORTING ARTISTS THAT WHITEWASH. Don’t give the artists your uncritical reblogs. Don’t just reblog with commentary in the tags. That doesn’t help. Call it out or don’t reblog. Simple as that.
• if you see people harassing poc for calling colorism out, defend them. Maybe send the person nice stuff to cheer them up. I know it always lessens the burden for me when friends tag me in or message me cute stuff, even if they don’t have the ability to get into the fight. Support poc.
And perhaps most importantly:
Quit ignoring posts like these where poc ask you to be a better ally.
You know who’s fucking amazing? @thatsthat24. Thomas Sanders. Such a beautiful, brilliant, talented, funny, kind and inspiring person! His videos are hilarious and mean so much to me, and his posts always make me smile. He’s managed to cheer me up so many times, and I know there are thousands of other people who feel the same and love this guy just as much as I do. The very idea of Thomas feeling sad is so upsetting, and I hope that things work out for him; he deserves to be happy! We all love you, Sanders. What a fantastic person. Xx
(1) Hi Viria, I hope you are well :) I am sorry to bother you with this, but it's really important for me, and I wanted to share it with you. It'll be long and kinda sad at first, but it gets better, trust me. I'm a 23 y/o latina art student. When I was a baby, my mom left my dad and remarried, and my little sister was born when I was 10. She is the light of my life and I love her to no end. Our mom, however, had had and undiagnosed and untreated mental illness for years, and one day
(2) during a severe crisis she hurt us really bad. I was 12. She was taken away to a psychiatric hospital and Child Services prohibited her from ever getting near us again. Since then, I have been taking care of my little sister and practically raised her while my stepdad worked 2-3 shifts to afford our education and payment for my mom’s hospital, living and meds. He was always working and I took full responsibility for my sis. As you can imagine, even though I loved her with my life,
(3) the situation was very stressful and exhausting for me. By the time I was 15, I looked every bit a teen mom. One particularly hard night when my little sis had been crying about mom, I couldn’t sleep. So I turned to something that calmed me: the Harry Potter books. I read them online, and somehow ended up searching for HP fanart. That was the night I stumbled upon your DA account. And boy, did I love it! I know back in 2011 your skills weren’t what they are now,
(4) but I was blown away, and what’s more, I felt inspired to draw. I had never tried to make any art before; it wasn’t “my thing”. But that night, you inspired me. As time went by I kept drawing and closely followed your improvements. Your art was so relaxing, calming, and inspiring, that it really helped me during hard times. You kinda dragged me into all the cool fandoms, series and animes, and I found life to be far more bearable with so many awesome things to love and think about.
(5) Your DA and Tumblr were some sort of safe sapce for me. It always cheered me up and gave me joy, peace, inspiration. When the time came, I choose to study Art at college. It turned out you did too, and you kept up all the good stuff in your blogs. Weirdly enough, I kept feeling a sense of pride whenever you improved and got better. I was so strange that you were so so far away and didn’t even know I existed but you helped me so much.
(6) I got accepted at my country’s top University to study Fine Arts; I moved cities and took my sister with me; she grew into a wonderful, sensible, peaceful child, and her presence motivated me to be the best version of myself, while your art motivated me to keep expanding my academic/artistic abilities. Life was hard but good at college, and I had incredible opportunities. I am graduating this spring with an advanced studies specialization, and was recently hired to work at
(7) of a movie. It’s like living a dream. And tonight, just a couple hours ago, the most incredible thing happened. After dinner, my little sis came to me, phone in hand, and said “Hey Ana, you won’t believe what I found. There’s this girl who makes amazing art of all the fandoms you’re in. Her drawings are gorgeous and she has so many!”. She showed me your tumblr. I wanted to laugh and cry. She was amazed when she saw your old drawings and your current ones; speechless.
(8) She fell in love, and you know what? Immediatly after, she went to draw. She’s been doing so the past hours. I know this was offensively long, but Viria, I needed to thank you for what you did. Your art has always been SO much more than just digital drawings of fictional characters. It’s been the source of peace, safety and joy that so many of us crave. You have wonderfully impacted and influenced many people across the world with everything you make.
(9) I am so glad you exist and do what you do; you gave me the hobby that grew into my passion, thaught me so much, inspired me beyond belief and most of all, you helped make life more bearable. And now, you have made the same for my sister. Viria, the world wouldn’t be the same without you. You are truly a magnificent light among us, and for your existence and passion I’ll be forever grateful. Thank you, and may you always live the beautiful, happy, awesome life you deserve. Thank you.
I’m not even kidding I was sitting here peacefully chewing sandwich and by the end of these messages the sandwich was too salty so was my cappuccino I swear you got me to tears and now i’m just like
I’m a shaking emotional leaf but thank you so much for writing me! It means so much and i’m so touched and i just wish you and your sister all the best of luck, though it seems like you don’t really need it. Thank you, and I hope life goes wonderfully for you and your family!
My goal in life is to try to practice being present on a daily basis. I think, as people, our consciousness is spread out. We analyse the past, we worry about the future, and it’s all fueled by fear and pain and all these negative things. Even when it’s good it’s not going to be good in a minute. Then you’re chasing it again. It’s all rooted in time and I think my big ambition is to really practice the ability to quiet my brain a little and just learn how to enjoy the moment.