Be warned there’s gonna be Voltron s3 spoilers in here!! So if you don’t want to see that, look elsewhere. (Also this is super fucking long, I’m sorry.)
Anyway so I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately, and what with (at least temporary) Red Paladin!Lance being confirmed, now is probably the time to post this.
Coincidentally, I’ve been spending the past couple weeks looking for foreshadow of the Red and Blue Lions have some kind of Special Connection and there is quite a bit, so I thought I’d share some of what I’ve found.
The gist of it is that I think Red and Blue have some kind of connection that the other lions don’t seem to have with each other. Of course all the lions have a special bond, but there seem to be a lot of hints that the connection between Red and Blue *coughs* and their pilots is something a little different––basically, that Lance and Keith have shown a lot more interest in/connection to each other’s lions than any of the other paladins have.
(And before everyone jumps down my throat, I’m NOT proposing a permanent lion switch so jot that down lol. But I do think temporary lion switches are Good so uhhhh fight me.)
I’m not sure how to go about explaining this, but I’m just gonna break it down to:
- Keith’s connection with Blue
- Lance’s connection with Red
- What Does It Mean
Here we go!!!
Keith & Blue
- I’m still caught up on this whole “Keith sensed the Blue Lion” thing. Granted, it could have something to do with his alien abilities™ (I’m still rooting for Keith with Altean ancestry, y’all) but I still question the choice of having Keith sense Blue, of all the lions. He only detects the location of two lions in canon, and they’re––you guessed it––Blue and Red.
First we have some kinda vague “energy” that attracts Keith to Blue:
Then we have this part where Keith just … closes his eyes and senses Red somehow??
(These both happen in the first episode, I might add.)
Like I said, this could be some kinda sixth alien sense. But, I do also wonder if it was Blue trusting & calling out to Keith specifically, which is interesting considering he’s not even her paladin.
- Also in the first episode, when they find Blue, Keith & Lance are the first ones to approach her. Keith even reaches Blue before Lance does!
And then they’re both standing right in front of Blue, side-by-side, when she wakes up.
There is still a close-up on Lance when Blue awakens––but even so, everyone else has much more of a one-on-one first interaction with their lion, so this scene in particular stands out to me.
- Other than in the first episode we don’t get much of Keith interacting with Blue in s1 (except for him saving Blue for Lance in s1e06, which is cute!)
But then there’s also this moment in s2 where he starts asking Coran about whether there might have been Galra on earth before, and whether that could have something to do with Blue being on Earth:
Which is especially interesting now that we know that Keith is part Galra. So …. is it possible the previous Blue Paladin might’ve been Galra?? or even could have been an ancestor of Keith’s?
Then of course we have Lance emerging from his room at the mention of Blue, and accusing Keith of “having his eye on the Blue Lion since day one”:
This is … kinda odd considering Keith hasn’t outwardly shown any desire to pilot Blue as far as I can remember. So, obviously this is a throwback to the very first episode in which Keith first sensed Blue––and the fact that it was brought up again out of nowhere makes me suspicious that there’s Something there that hasn’t quite been addressed yet.
Lance & Red
- *rubs hands together* Now this is Extra Fun because now I know for a fact Lance is gonna fly the Red Lion at some point in s3 because it was in the trailer and all …
Unfortunately I don’t get to say “I told you so” because I didn’t publish this post before then, but anyway! I’ve been looking for foreshadow of this and honestly?? If you ask me, there are hints of Red Paladin!Lance since the very first episode. (Again, I’m not suggesting Lance becomes Red Paladin forever, so please don’t kill me. But I do think Lance having some kind of connection with Red has been foreshadowed.)
- So!! In the first episode I noticed that when Allura assigns each of them a lion, she doesn’t technically assign Blue to Lance (because he interrupts her, lol). It’s just kind of assumed that he’s Blue Paladin since, well, he’s flown Blue. Now, I’m not saying he’s not the Blue Paladin––he is! Buuut I also find a couple things about this scene Intriguing:
1) Lance looks like he almost expects to be assigned the lion as Allura describes it (even though he already has a lion), and then seems a bit shocked/upset when it gets assigned to Keith instead.
2) Not only that, but you may notice the Red Lion hovers between BOTH of them, which is noteworthy because this doesn’t happen to anyone else when they get their lion assigned to them. Hmmmmmm…
- This may be an unpopular opinion but I actually … also think Lance shows some Red Paladin traits. Once again, that’s not to say that Lance doesn’t also fit into the role of Blue Paladin because of course he does, but I do think he shows traces of being capable of being Red Paladin as well.
Like listen, when Allura is assigning Red, these are her exact words: “The Red Lion is temperamental and the most difficult to master. … Its pilot needs to be someone who relies more on instincts than skill alone.”
So really the only qualifications here are: 1) Be skilled. 2) Have good instincts.
And Lance?? Fits those qualifications pretty damn well. He’s a skilled pilot, sharpshooter, and strategist. And he has very strong awareness/instincts as well (i.e. being able to identify the Rover clone super fast, being able to come up with a plan on the Balmera on the fly, etc.). There’s no reason why he can’t fly Red if you ask me.
- Also, when the Red Lion gets fire power for the first time Lance is like, “I want that!!” which is interesting … especially because (at least as far as I can remember) no one else expresses jealousy for another paladin’s lion that way.
And generally I just find it kinda funny that Lance accuses Keith of having his eye on the Blue Lion when Lance has like…canonically had his eye on the Red Lion from pretty early on.
- In addition to all of the above, there does seem to be some foreshadow about Keith getting separated from Red (at least temporarily). i.e. he has that dream about Red rejecting him.
And there’s also that vision he has in BoM where Red is far away from him.
(Tag yourself I’m the people screaming.)
Could be coincidental …. or could be intentional to foreshadow something about a certain someone else temporarily taking over as Red Paladin.
- And lastly: it may not mean anything, but in GoLion (the original anime) Isamu/Lance was Red Paladin … So, could be a nod to the original!
And yes, he wore a blue outfit but piloted the Red Lion, don’t question it. Color coordination hadn’t been invented yet.
What Does It Mean?!
- In general, there seems to be a lot of subtle foreshadow that there is Some kind of connection between the Red and Blue lions––or at least, to an extent, Keith and Lance have connections to each other’s lions as well as their own.
- It could mean they are both capable of piloting each other’s lions. I’ll say it again––I’m not suggesting a permanent lion swap or anything along those lines, because both paladins also have very strong connections to their own lions. (Also, I’m not sure about Blue Paladin!Keith at this point, although it’s hard to say since we don’t really know what the quintessence of the Blue Lion is yet.)
However, I think in certain situations their lions could be accepting of the other’s paladin (which of course we know is possible since Keith has piloted Black before, and in the s3 trailer it appears he does so again, as well as Lance piloting Red). So, I feel like that could be important.
- As for the reason behind this connection: It could be because their elements balance each other out (you know, the whole fire-and-ice thing), but what I’m really hoping is that there is some significance in the relationship between the previous Red & Blue Paladins (interpret that however you want––but yeah like, maybe they were good friends??? or …. more than that????) and their lions built up a strong connection because of that (or vice versa).
- TL;DR: I think it’s pretty much inevitable that Red & Blue/Keith & Lance have some kind of special connection (space ranger partners™ amiright) and if you ask me there are a lot of signs pointing in that direction. That’s all, bye.
do you remember that show in osaka where jimin was recovering from being sick (he didn’t attend the concerts that week) and they were performing “for you”… in jungkook’s part “it smells like you the road that i walk on; i plug my earphone to my status; my true feelings lie beyond there” he stopped beside jimin and the boy kept the whole performance trying to hide his smile (although sometimes he failed lol) and from time to time they just looked at each other and smiled..,,,,., there’s no heterosexual explanation for this moment. here’s the whole video in case you haven’t watched it yet.
So this is a silly little thing I wrote for my lovely friend @anuecc. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! 💙 I am still intent on dragging your cute, yoga toned ass down to drarry hell ;)
Harry should have known this was a bad idea. A really, really bad idea. But to be fair, who in Merlin’s name would have expected Draco Malfoy showing up here, looking… like this?
“Malfoy,” Harry spluttered, his voice sounding embarrassingly raspy. “Are you… Is that a crop top?”
Malfoy raised an eyebrow and crossed his arms in front of his chest, seeming unconcerned.
“Is that what this is called?”
Harry swallowed around the lump that was building in his throat. Dear Merlin! Malfoy’s stomach looked simply delicious! And the way his trousers hugged his hips!
“Um… aren’t those trousers a little tight?”
Malfoy narrowed his eyes.
“I was told this is what Muggles wear when they do…” He waved a hand around in the air, clearly searching for the right word. “Whatever this is called.”
“It’s called Yoga,” Harry sighed, “and we’re going to be late. Come on.”
Harry held the door open for him and immediately wished he had gone in first. Watching Malfoy’s perfect bum move in those trousers was torture. Malfoy briefly hesitated after a few steps, looking around the room.
“What is this, Potter?” he hissed under his breath. “We’re the only blokes here.”
Harry blushed and wordlessly made his way to the last two spare yoga mats, right in the middle of the room.
“I will kill Shacklebolt for this,” Harry heard Malfoy mutter. “Last week, he sent us on that bloody camping trip and now this?”
Harry sighed as he sat down on his yoga mat. He peeked at the two girls beside him, who were laughing about something and tying their blonde hair into buns. Trying to drop his voice into a whisper, so they wouldn’t hear, he spat, “It would be so much easier if you weren’t such a prat, Malfoy. He wants us to get along. I hate to say this, but we’ve compromised two of our missions now because we couldn’t agree on-”
“That wasn’t my fault,” Malfoy interrupted him. “My approach was better than yours. Why did I have to get you as my partner anyway?”
“Well, maybe you should have thought about that before you applied to become an Auror. You knew it was what I wanted to do and you knew there would be a chance we would end up as partners. Just my luck.” Harry muttered the last part under his breath, but Malfoy must have heard, because he shot Harry a dark look, before plopping down on the yoga mat in front of him.
“Hello everyone,” the instructor said in an overly breathy voice. Harry suspected it was meant to be soothing, but it just sounded really odd.
“We will begin today’s class by trying to reconnect to our breath,” she continued. “Now, bring your palms together in front of your heart, really press them together and close your eyes.”
“You must be kidding me,” Harry heard Malfoy sneer.
“Now take a deep breath in through your nose… but do it gently…”
Harry startled at the collective intake of breath that sounded like a giant was gasping.
“… and then press your lips together as you slooooowly exhale. Imagine that the sound you’re making right now is the sound of ocean waves rolling in and out, in and out…”
Harry could practically see Malfoy rolling his eyes, even from the back of his head.
“Breathe innnn…. breathe ou-hhhh-t.”
“Seriously, she wants to teach me how to breathe?” Malfoy snarled, turning his head back to Harry.
“Stop complaining and just do it,” Harry whispered.
Of course, Malfoy continued with his little commentary.
“…Downward-facing dog? Who came up with that name?”
“…Ow! This is not a natural pose for a human!”
“…What do you mean ‘lift your leg’? If I do that, I’m never going to have any children!”
“…Merlin, is this woman trying to break my neck?”
Harry pressed his lips into a tight line to keep himself from snickering. Malfoy’s hissing was rather distracting. As was…
“Potter! Stop staring at my arse!”
“Am not,” Harry mumbled, mentally slapping himself for getting caught like that.
“Good, good,” the instructor crooned. “Now, we take a little break. Sit down on your yoga mat and let the person next to you massage your feet.
“Ugh, why feet,” the girl next to Harry groaned. He smiled at her awkwardly, to which she bit her lip.
“No offense,” she said, “but I’m not letting a stranger touch my feet.”
“Fair enough,” Harry mumbled and turned to Malfoy.
“Don’t you dare, Potter,” he growled, when Harry stretched out his hands towards his feet.
“Yeah okay, maybe we skip that one,” Harry muttered sheepishly.
“We should have skipped the whole class.”
Harry usually didn’t agree with Malfoy, but when the instructor told them they would be doing partner poses now, he cursed Kingsley under his breath.
“Now, stand up and face each other.”
They did, but not without scowling at each other.
“Place your feet firmly on the ground and stretch out your hands. Press your palms against the palms of your partner.”
Harry almost flinched when their hands touched. If he had known touching would be involved, he probably would have refused to come here altogether. Thinking about touching Malfoy in the privacy of his own home was one thing, but actually doing it in a room with a bunch of strangers, that was something else entirely. Why did Malfoy have to be so handsome? It was irritating.
“Now slowly bend forward,” the instructor said in her breathy voice, “until your foreheads are touching. Your arms should be up, over your head.”
Harry tried to control his face, praying he wasn’t blushing. When his black hair mingled with blonde, he heard Malfoy making an odd sound.
“This is disgusting,” Malfoy muttered. “We’re both sweating.”
“And it wouldn’t be disgusting if we weren’t?”
Harry startled when Malfoy slightly raised his chin. Their noses were touching and Harry could feel Malfoy’s breath on his lips.
“Don’t think I haven’t noticed the way you have been looking at me all day,” Malfoy said with narrowed eyes. “Or how I woke up with an arm draped over me when we were camping last week.”
“Oh. I- I thought you woke up after me,” Harry mumbled, definitely blushing now. “You didn’t say anything about it.”
Yes, why hadn’t Malfoy said anything about that? He could have made fun of Harry for days.
“You really are thick, Potter,” Malfoy said in a teasing tone, as the instructor walked by them to correct the pose of the couple beside them.
“Good job everyone. Now, turn around, so you’re back to back and link your arms at the elbows.”
“Um, Malfoy,” Harry said, when Malfoy stepped closer to him and put his hands on Harry’s hip. “I think she just told us to turn around.”
Malfoy’s lips stretched into a huge smirk. He leaned forward, his cheek briefly brushing Harry’s, until his lips were right at Harry’s ear.
“I won’t stop you if you want to.”
Harry choked on his own breath, his eyes going wide.
“Come on,” Malfoy chuckled, “we’re hitting the showers.”
“But class is not over yet,” Harry mumbled absentmindedly.
“Well, I want to try some… different kind of poses.”
“Oh,” was all Harry was able to say.
“You do remember how to do a water repellant charm, don’t you?”
“Yeah. Why?” Harry frowned.
“We need to use it on your Muggle distant-talking device.”
“My… you mean my phone.”
“And why exactly do we need to do that?”
“Well, after Shacklebolt went through all this trouble, so we would get along, he really should get something in return for his hard work.”
Harry stared blankly at him.
“We’ll send him proof,” Malfoy winked.
“Come on, Potter,” Malfoy chuckled darkly as he tugged Harry forward, “we have important Auror business to attend to.”
Hyper Projection Engeki Haikyuu - Winners and Losers
Cast Comment Relay In thespecial features, they did a relay where each cast member “passed” the interview on to the next person with a question of their own for that person to answer. Justin passed it to Kousuke, then from Kousuke to Judai, with Judai passing it onto Nagata Takato!
For links to purchase your own copy, please check the FAQ (x)