Staying in touch with friends/family when you’re far away
Okay, so you’re way the fuck away from your friends and family, yeah? Maybe in college, the military, or
a second dimension the Peace Corps?
And you want to, for some unholy reason, stay in contact with these people you don’t hate?
Cool. I feel you, dude. I also went to a land far, far away once. It was Wisconsin. And it was cold as shit. Anyway, my friends were much less cool and decided to not leave, so I had to figure a way out to talk to them, right? Or else become a lonely spinster and sneak a cat into my dorm.
So here are some tips for staying in contact with peeps who
ran the fuck away from you are far from you:
Social media—there’s a reason it’s called “social media.” Get on a few of these websites, get your friends on them, and then chat away!
- Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr. If I have to explain how these work to you, I will slap the stupid off your face.
- Snapchat. Take stupid videos or pictures of your life and let your friends see it for up to an impressive 10 seconds. Wowie.
- Line. It’s like a chat thing. Pain to install. However, you can use cute stickers and shit to express yourself, like the special snowflake you are.
- Skype: Video, audio, regular chat…I like to believe that this is what killed AOL Instant Messenger. >:D
- Others. Shit, son. Go off into the sunset and find some more.
Keep the Post Office alive and kicking (your mailbox)
- Write each other letters. Sounds old fashioned, but you can now be one of those cool kids who know how snail mail actually works! Ta-freaking-da!
- Send each other care packages, mix CD’s, etc. Everyone loves getting packages in the mail, unless they’re grinches. Fuck them then.
- Meet in person. DUH. Look at when you’ll be back in the area—holidays, birthdays, weddings, whatever? See if your best friend/family member/face-sucking significant other will also be around. Plan stuff to do so your time isn’t wasted.
- Use your phone as a phone. Call those buttholes you call friends. Have long conversations. Talk about the universe, mac & cheese, or how your new shoes gave you blisters. Do it in accents. Don’t make it boring and repetitive, otherwise it’s no longer something to look forward to.
Friendships and relationships in general require both fucking parties to put in the effort. So hopefully the people you leave will put as much effort into maintaining contact as you do. Don’t just rely on the passive communication shit like online social media. Do things that are more personal than that. Use Skype to play a game of chess together. Create a friendship meme only you two understand. Take pictures of where you live and photoshop them in with you. Do silly crap. Do fun crap. Do life crap. Just do crap. Even if you’re not physically together, they’re with you in spirit.
-The Sudden Adult