as a longtime fan it’s a little amusing to me how so many people are like, wow nathan’s like a whole different skater this season! i mean, in a way he is, because his programs show a new side of him, but the general implication is more like, wow i didn’t know nathan could do anything besides quads!
the whole quad machine image is kind of a new development for him tbh. nathan was so impressive as a novice and junior because he was already a good performer and high-quality skater in many areas. he had a bunch of good programs with detailed choreography and range of expression when he was younger. his skating did become noticeably more jump-focused in the last couple of seasons, but i’m so glad that his new programs allow his innate talents to shine through. he didn’t suddenly become an “artist” overnight, the potential was always there, and now everyone can see what older fans saw in him years ago. i don’t see his improvement this season as a completely new development, more like a return to form, except even better. the kid is so talented, i hope he sticks around in skating for a long time.
anyways, if anyone’s interested in watching some of nathan’s earlier programs, here are some of my favorites from over the years:
- “kung fu panda” sp, 2009 US pacific coast sectionals
- “peter and the wolf” fs/ex, 2010 US nationals gala
- “rawhide” sp/ex, 2011 US nationals gala
- “WALL-E” sp, 2011 glacier falls summer classic (it’s SO CUTE)
- “stereo hearts” ex, 2012 US nationals gala
- “the four seasons” sp, 2014 US junior nationals (love the choreo)
- “porgy and bess” fs, 2013 JGPF
- “chopin piano concerto no.1″ fs, 2015 junior worlds (also love this choreo)
- “smile/smooth criminal” sp, 2015 JGPF
- “stole the show” ex, 2016 GPF (self-choreographed)
- and of course, this season’s programs, “nemesis” and “mao’s last dancer” at 2017 COR