Hey, I love your writing so much and I was wondering if you would do the 'trapped under mistletoe' trope? So during their time at hogwarts (whatever year) and it's near Christmas and everything's decorated and everybody's joyful and BAM harry and draco get caught under the mistletoe that won't let you leave until the inevitable happens ;) Anyway I'm rambling but I'm a big fan of you (and the mistletoe trope) and I hope you're having a great day! :)
Errrr, so I started this as a drabble and it became… Much longer. Than a drabble. Like, uhhhh, 4,000 words? WHICH IS STILL SHORT MIND YOU but it is longer than a lot of the things I have written in a short period of time (I started this like two days ago lmao). ANYWAYS. I did kind of my own take on the mistletoe trope. I kind of took your request and ran with it, and I am so sorry if this is horrible but I just did whatever made me giggle as often as I possibly could! The last thing I wrote was a little on the sad side and I really just wanted something lighthearted and fun to kick off the Christmas season, so… yeah! Hope you like! <3<3<3 also, HUGE SHOUTS OUT TO @insufferable-git for reading this and giving the go ahead!!!! I LOVE U RACHEL UR THE BEST EVER EEK
(Also, I have been reading a lot of Hemingway, and Hemingway’s literature is like. All dialogue. So that’s what I had in my brain. Yikety yikes I hope this turned out okay)
Harry’s Predicament (Eighth Year)
Harry dodged suddenly to the side as he, Ron, and Hermione made their way down the corridor to the great hall for dinner. Another one. Goddamn it. Ron and Hermione jerked to a stop behind him, caught once again underneath one of the creatively placed sprigs of mistletoe the professors had all hidden around the castle. If you found yourself underneath one with another person, neither of you could move until you kissed each other. Those were the rules (and Harry didn’t have any option not to follow them, which pissed him off to no end. Harry had grown rather wary of rules.). The students found it humiliating, but it made the professors laugh, and Ron and Hermione didn’t look too mad as they practically ate each other’s faces off.
For Harry, however, it had been a nightmare. The students in younger years, who still idolized him for whatever reason, would not stop falling into step alongside him every moment they could, attempting to coax him underneath doorways or lure him into corridors to trap themselves with him. He’d managed to avoid them thus far but he knew he probably wouldn’t make it much longer as they changed locations nearly every day. Those godforsaken plants were something worse than Devil’s Snare.
Harry groaned, covering his eyes in mock horror. “Honestly, fuck each and every one of the professors at this school,” he said once Ron and Hermione finally separated, cheeks pink, lips swollen.
“Mate,” Ron replied, sidling over to Harry and draping an arm over his shoulder, “we know you’re bisexual and all, but the last thing I want to think about right now is you fucking every one of our professors. Though you and McGonagall is quite the interesting image…”
“Fuck off, Ron!” Harry laughed, elbowing him off of his shoulder as the trio approached the entrance to the great hall.
Harry could feel the festivity radiating out of the hall before they even got to the doorway. The whole room was bursting with light. In each corner stood a magnificent Christmas tree adorned with lace, animated ornaments and what Harry could only assume were diamonds. Overhead there was a convincing display of the first soft snowfall of the year. Ambient Christmas carols could be heard above the din of the students getting ready for their meals. Harry started making his way over to the eighth year table.
At least, he thought he was making his way to the eighth year table.
I'm intending to move out of my mom's by fall, but I have two cats, and idk much about how to care for them on my own. I want to do it right, but I'm not very good with figuring out vet info or other care stuff for them.
Okay, so I’ve just spent the last two hours writing this post for you, in the hopes that you will change your mind. It’s way longer than I intended, but I tried to be thorough and comprehensive. Know that I have strong opinions about how to raise cats because they’re a huge part of my life. You might not agree with what I have to say, but this is what’s worked for me. I urge you to try different things and find out what works best for you! Before I get into it, let me talk about my cats…
I have a four year old orange tabby (Mason) and a sixteen year old tortoiseshell cat (Gretel) pictured in Appendix D. They have completely opposite personalities (Mason is super confident and talkative, Gretel is more standoffish) and they did NOT get along for the longest time. I’ve been with Gretel since she was three years old, so we’re very close and she’s very protective of me. After we moved into our current apartment, my boyfriend and I bought Mason to keep Gretel company. He was a rescue cat that had been previously returned after being adopted once, because he was “fresh”. He gave me the runaround when he first moved in, so I understand what it’s like to have a difficult cat.
It’s taken two years for them to both be comfortable with each other, but last week they fell asleep on the bed together (see Appendix D) and it was so beautiful. These cats have brought so much joy into my life, and I don’t know where I’d be without them. All these experiences, good and bad, have taught me that I never want to live without cats in my life.
Please feel free to direct message me if you want to talk about what taking care of cats on your own will mean for you. I am here for all your cat needs!
The Complete Guide to Living on Your Own (With Cats)
Phase 1: Your New Apartment
Before moving into your new home, follow these steps to make the process as comfortable as possible for your cats. You need to understand that they will be upset and act strange for the first few days, and this is absolutely normal and expected. Give them time- they’ll adjust.
1. Move the cats last. Move everything else you own into your new apartment, and get it set up as much as you can before moving your cats. Make sure there are plenty of places for them to hide that are easily accessible, like under your bed or in the back of a closet. Initially your cats will be very shell-shocked, and it will be easier for them to adjust if they smell familiar furniture and are able to find a secure place to hide.
2. Feliway. Buy yourself Feliway and spray it on walls and around doorways at your kitty’s eye level. I can’t tell you what it is or why it works (Science Side of Tumblr please explain), but your cats smell it and will feel much calmer. Feliway also helps when your cat starts peeing on everything, see Phase 2: Tantrums.
3. Moving your cats. If you have two cats, make sure that you move both cats at the same time. Even if they’re not the best of pals, a familiar face in a time of stress will soothe them. In the car ride they will cry, drool, pee, and sound like they’re dying. This is horrible to hear, but no that it’s only temporary. If you were in their situation you would act the same way!
Hyperventilating. If you hear your cat start to hyperventilate, move them out of the carrier and comfort them immediately. I was transporting a cat with a high fever to the vet once and he started to do this, so I literally pulled over and drove with the cat in my lap the rest of the way. Once in my lap, he relaxed and started to breathe normally. The vet told me that I was lucky I did this, because the cat could’ve had a heart-attack.
4. In the new apartment. Open your cat carrier and allow your cats to explore their new home at their own pace. Depending on your cat’s confidence, they might make a beeline for your bed and hide under it for the next two days. This is absolutely fine. Your cats may not want to eat or use the bathroom during these first few days, and this is normal. You often won’t eat if you’re stressed out, so understand that when they’re hungry, they’ll eat. If one of your cats is very upset, place their food and water bowl in the room they’re hiding in, so that they won’t feel threatened while they eat.
5. Give it time. This could be less than a day or over a week, but your cat will come out from their hiding space of their own accord. They will walk around their new home and take everything in, and they’ll make themselves comfortable. Be there for your cat during this time, offering encouragement and love as they need it. It’s okay if they come out and retreat back to their safe hiding space, tell yourself that they will come out again.
Phase 2: Tantrums
Cats are mostly independent animals, but they do require lots of love and attention. Expect at least one or all of these tantrums to be thrown when you move them into your new home. Your cats are in a new environment that they are not wholly comfortable with, so it’s important to be patient and help them through this difficult time.
1. Pooping. Your cat has an excellent sense of smell- they know where their litter box is. If they’re choosing to poop outside of the box, they are most likely looking for attention. Make sure that the poop has no blood in it (see Phase 4: Veterinarians + Common Diseases) and spend time making your cat feel special. This includes treats, playtime, combing, whatever they like best.
2. Peeing A. Peeing is a form of scenting, which is essentially your cat being like “this is mine”. Your cats will probably do this a lot when you first move in, so make sure you have the proper cleaners ready (see Appendix A). Clean the spot thoroughly, and spray Feliway all over it. Your cat will smell the Feliway and think “Okay, I peed there already” and walk on. I’m not kidding.
3. Peeing B. Peeing can also be an cry for attention, slightly different from scenting. Here’s how to tell the difference- does your cat only pee when you’re around? Typically this will only be done in areas that you frequent, like your bed or your couch. If so, then this is a cry for attention- see “Pooping”.
4. Peeing C. Is your cat declawed? I sure hope not, because that’s inhumane. But anyways, if it is… declawed cats require a different type of litter than the normal Tidy Cats brand. Call your local vet and consult with them about the best types of litter to use.
5. Attacking. Is your cat attacking people/places/things? Get toys and play with them. Cats are evolved from fearsome predators, they need to be stimulated or they’ll get bored and start hunting whatever they can find. Here are some great toys to buy your cats so that they can “hunt” on their own, there’s something in there for every cat type.
Phase 3: A Place For Everyone
Jackson Galaxy is the Cat Guru, and you can find episodes of his show “My Cat From Hell” on Netflix. Whenever Jackson enters a home of a troublesome cat, he always looks at the environment in terms of how “cat-proof” it is. Your cat needs to have their own stuff, and whether this is a cardboard box or a $150 piece of cat furniture, it needs to be there.
1. Bush vs. Tree dweller. I have a bush dweller and a tree dweller! Bush dwellers are the cats that like to hang out under tables and under beds, and they’re thought to be cats with less self-confidence. Tree dwellers like to climb and look down on their surroundings, reconnecting with their ancestors in the jungle. Cater your apartment based off of your cat’s needs. See Phase 6: Miscellaneous to learn more about different cat personalities.
A word on bush dwellers. I was initially very upset to learn that Gretel is considered a low self-esteem cat. I kept trying to think of ways to make her more comfortable her surroundings, in the hopes that she would one day want to climb things and perch up high. Since getting Mason, she has slowly become a bush/tree dweller. She now climbs to the top rung of her cat furniture, and asks me to help her up on the kitchen table (it’s tall so she can’t jump). What I’m trying to say is that cats will gain confidence as they get more comfortable with their surroundings, and having a second and way more confident cat has helped her come into herself, even in her old age. So proud of my baby.
2. Cat furniture. I’m not going to lie to you, cat furniture is hella expensive. But it’s life-changing. Your cats recognize that its a piece of furniture for them, and they will run right over to it and begin exploring. If your cat is wary about climbing to the higher platforms or levels of the furniture, entice them with treats or a toy. The general rule is one piece of furniture per cat, because they will fight over them. If you have a very active cat, I’d recommend getting a multi-leveled piece.
3. Cardboard boxes. The rumors are true- cats love cardboard boxes. Just open it up and leave it in the middle of the floor, and allow your cats to explore. If you’re not ready to drop $$$, place a warm blanket in the box and allow your cats to curl up.
4. Windows. If you leave for work, leave your blinds open for your cats to peer out. If you don’t, they’ll peer out anyway and wreck your blinds. In the summer time it might seem like a nice idea to leave your windows partially open, but always make sure that your window screens are secure. If they’re not, add masking tape around the sides of the window until you can press on the screen and it doesn’t collapse.
5. Food and water. I like to keep a bowl of water in each room for the cats, and I refresh this daily. I like to add ice cubes in the summer so that the water isn’t that awful room temperature. If you feed your cats dry food, make sure that they’re drinking lots of water after eating.
6. Litter box. Yeah, I know- it’s the worst part of being a cat owner. I keep mine in my hallway closet, and I leave the door partially open so that the cats can get in and out as they please. I’ve seen people with litter boxes in their bathrooms, their hallways, behind chairs in their living room, etc. The general rule is to have one more litter box than there is cat. I’m sorry, that’s crazy talk. I have a one bedroom apartment and I’m not having three litter boxes. One has worked fine for my babies, I just have to be vigilant about cleaning it.
As far as choosing a cat litter brand, most cats are not picky. Some, however, are. Tidy Cats is expensive so I use whatever is on sale at CVS. I prefer scented because I have the litter box right by my front door. Find what works for you, but listen to your cat’s needs.
Be wary of any brand of “lightweight” cat litter other than Tidy Cats. One time I bought Stop & Shop’s “Companion” lightweight litter and it hardened and stuck to the bottom of my litter box and I literally had to rehydrate it to remove it. DISGUSTING.
7. Wall furniture. If you don’t have a lot of room on the floor of your apartment, consider putting up wall furniture for your cat. This can be anything from an expensive piece like this, or a simple wooden board for your cats to walk on.
8. The floor is lava. Confident cats like to be up high on tables, window sills, cat furniture, etc. This is because back in their ancestral days, they had to peer down from the treetops to hunt their prey. Allow your cat this luxury, and try not to freak out if they walk on your kitchen counters or sit on your dining room table. Your cat is programmed to do this, the fact that your cat wants to be up high is a sign of confidence, a sign that your cat is comfortable with their surroundings.
Phase 4: Veterinarians + Common Diseases
Your cat’s health is so important! There are lots of things you can do to maintain your cat’s health on your own (see Appendix B), but know that you will need to take one or both of your cats to the vet sometime this year. Remember to consult medical professionals if your cat is visibly ill. I am not a medical professional, but here are some of the things I’ve dealt with as a cat owner.
1. Hospitals vs. Doctors. My biggest expense as a cat owner is taking my babies to the vet. I have a Veterinary Hospital literally two minutes from my home, and Gretel hates the car so much that I always just take her there to get her to calm down. In general, hospitals are WAY more expensive than regular vet’s offices. Like, I’m talking over $100 difference. The expense is worth it for me, but it might not be for you. Find your closest vet office and put their number into your phone ASAP.
2. Making an appointment. If your cat is having a crisis, you can call during normal business hours and bring your cat in right then and there, but it’s going to cost you extra money. If your cat is not in imminent danger, call and make an appointment for the next day.
Theoretically, you’re supposed to bring your cat(s) or yearly check-ups and make sure they get all their vet shots. I’m gonna level with you- I don’t do this. I wish I could afford to do it, but I live paycheck to paycheck and can’t. You need to be able to take care of yourself, so if you’re poor like me, I’d advise saving vet visits for emergencies only.
3. Vet insurance. Obviously- I do not have vet insurance. This means that I pay for all my vet visits out of pocket, and vet offices do not allow you to pay in installments, you have to pay all at once. My downstairs neighbor once had her cat held by a vet’s office because she didn’t have the money to pay for the vet bills. She had to get an emergency loan from her bank to be able to pay and get her cat released. Yikes. The one person I do know with pet insurance says that it saves her about 75% of her vet bill, but she’s a grown ass woman with a house. It’s okay if you don’t have vet insurance, there are still things you can do to improve your cat’s quality of life for reasonably cheap (See Appendix B).
3. Flea medication. Flea medication can be expensive, especially if you have two cats. Unfortunately, Advantage is the only medication that I have found effective. I’ve tried several different knock off brands, and while they worked, they didn’t last nearly as long as Advantage. I don’t worry about fleas that much in the winter, but I put it on my cats during the summer because there are lots of stray cats where I live.
4. Vomit. An occasional puke pile is nothing to be concerned about. There are lots of reasons why cats throw up, but 99% of them are digestion related. The worst part of puke is having to clean it up. As disgusting as it may be, the best way to clean up puke is to allow it to dry and to then clean it (see Appendix A). Lots of cats have food allergies (Mason, for example), so if your cat is throwing up multiple times in a week, change their diet (see Phase 5: Cat food). If your cat throws up blood, take them to the vet immediately.
5. Feline Respiratory Virus. Cats do not get colds like humans do, so be very wary if your cat has a runny nose, watery eye discharge, is sneezing or acting lethargic. These infections can kill cats if left untreated. If your cat is showing these symptoms, take them to the vet immediately. The vet will prescribe antibiotics that you will have to give your cat, and your cat should be feeling better within 24 hours. Once a cat gets an FRV, they are more susceptible to it. Cats can infect other cats, so keep your cats separated and give them separate food and water until your infected cat is visibly better.
6. Bloody poop. Bloody poop (while disgusting) does not always signify illness. Sometimes it means that your cat is having trouble digesting, but other times it means that your cat has worms. Keep an eye on your cat’s poop, and if it’s still bloody after two additional days, take them to the vet and bring a sample of the poop with you. This stool sample will be tested by your vet, and if you don’t have one they will send you home and wait for you acquire one before testing anything.
7. Lumps. My cat Gretel currently has a lump on her face. I noticed it a couple months ago and took her to the vet. If your cat gets a lump suddenly, see if you can move the lump around with your fingers. If the lump feels solid and causes your cat pain, make an appointment ASAP. Gretel’s lump moves around freely and doesn’t cause her pain at all, so my vet told me not to worry about it. Cats grow non-cancerous tumors on their faces and bodies, as well as excesses of fatty tissue that cause bumps. Feeling a bump does not guarantee that your cat’s life is in danger.
8. Bottom line. Wondering if something is wrong with your cat? Ask yourself this simple question- Is your cat eating and drinking water? If your cat is not eating or drinking water, then something is wrong. Make an appointment and take them to the vet.
Phase 5: Cat Food
Spend some time researching different brands before deciding what to feed your cat. Here are some guidelines to help you.
1. Wet food vs. Dry food. It’s a scientifically acknowledged fact that wet food is much better for your cats than dry food. Unfortunately canned food can be up to three times as expensive per pound as dry food, and I can’t afford that on my budget. If you feed dry food, make sure that your cat is properly hydrated and drinking lots of water after they eat.
2. Junk food vs. Health food. Some cats are finicky eaters, mine are not. They do not care what type of food it is, they’re just happy to eat it. Meow Mix is super inexpensive and filling for cats, but it’s not healthy. It’s essentially like eating McDonalds every day. As a young adult, you probably can’t afford to spend large quantities of money on cat food. So compromise. Buy a bag of high quality “healthy” cat food, and a bag of cheap cat food, and give your cats a mixture of this.
3. Grain intolerance. Allergies are a real thing with cats. If your cat is having a hard time keeping food down, switch them to a grain free diet. I buy Rachel Ray cat food off of Amazon because Mason has a delicate stomach.
4. Proteins. Switch up the proteins in the food you’re feeding your cats. Spend a few months with salmon, then switch to chicken, then back to salmon, etc. I don’t remember why, but studies were done and this proved to be more healthy for cats.
5. How much food? Current studies say that cats should be feed about a half a cup of cat food per day. PER DAY. Cats also should have definitive feeding times, and should not be allowed to “graze” or eat all day. I feed my cats a cup of food in the morning (2 cats, half a cup each) and that’s all they get. One of the most common problems that cat owners have is over-feeding.
6. Fast eaters. Mason has this problem where he gobbles down food super fast (he doesn’t even chew it half the time) and then throws up a few minutes later. You can buy special plates online that force cats to eat slowly like this one.
8. Changing food. Remember that you can’t just feed your cat one food one day and a different food the next day. If you do, they’ll throw up. If you need to switch your cat’s food, do it gradually. Here’s how:
First day of switch: 95% old food, 5% new food
Second day: 75% old food, 25% new food
Third day: 75% old food, 25% new food
Fourth day: 50% of both foods
Fifth day: 50% of both foods
Sixth day: 25% old food, 75% new food
Seventh day: 25% old food, 75% new food
Eighth day: 5% old food, 95% new food
Ninth day: 5% old food, 95% new food
10th day: 100% new food!
Phase 6: Miscellaneous
1. Cat types. I’m a big believer in the ASPCA feline-alities. ASPCA employees essentially give cats a personality test to see how they perform under stress. They have something wonderful to say about even the shyest of cats, it really puts everything in perspective. Check it out here. Points if you can guess my cat’s personality types based off what I’ve written here.
2. Bathing. Generally speaking, cats and water do not mix. I don’t bathe my cats because they don’t really get gross enough to require bathing. The one time I did try to bathe Gretel was an absolute disaster, so barring her overcoming her fear of water, I’m never going to do it again. She’s old and sleeps next to my head every night, so sometimes I have to help her clean up a bit. If your cat steps in poop or dirt or whatever, use baby wipes.
3. “My Cat Doesn’t Like to Play”. Bullshit. All cats like to play, you just haven’t found the right toy. Mason responds to strings that are waved in circles above his head, squeaky toys, and things that are thrown so that he can run and “catch” his prey. Gretel likes crinkly things like candy wrappers, and will only chase a string if it’s dragged on the ground. Mess around and figure out what makes your cat tick. After playing your cat will:
Have a snack
Take a nap
4. Reprimanding cats. I found a great post on Tumblr a year ago explaining this phenomenon, but I currently can’t find it, so I’m going to paraphrase. Essentially, cats don’t have great short-term memory, so you have to be careful when yelling at them. If your cat pees on your couch, and you don’t discover it until three hours later, yelling at your cat will accomplish absolutely nothing. They won’t understand why you’re upset, and they won’t understand what they did was wrong. You have to reprimand your cat’s either while they’re in the act of being naughty (i.e, peeing on the couch) or directly afterwards.
Appendix A. Cleaners
Carpet cleaner (I recommend Resolve)
Hardwood floor cleaner (I recommend Bona)
Plastic gloves (I recommend whatever is cheapest)
Bleach (or a tile cleaner you feel more comfortable with)
Appendix B. Caring for your cat.
Cat lax (for those with hairballs)
Flea medication (you can buy Advantage in bulk on Amazon)
Brush (brushing decreases the risk of hairballs, fleas, and your clothes looking like shit. It can also be a way to bond with your cat)
almost everyone i know is into this show except me, and this is what i’ve picked up by osmosis or them explaining things to me:
there’s some dude with like ten names (one of them is percy but goddamn if i know the rest) who wears glasses that have smaller glasses attached and a lot of people like him and are also really sad for him?
vex is the one with the bear and also probably the best?? i think she wears feathers?
also yeah there’s a fucking bear apparently, how can they sneak anywhere it’s a fucking beAR
I REALLY AM CONCERNED ABOUT THE BEAR, LIKE, is he okay even if he’s not sneaky
there are really cute girlfriends, somewhere (one of whom is blonde?)
the bard(?) made a shirt of that one meme of matt mercer pointing and possibly lost inspiration points for it
there was a dinosaur at some point?
i think their mage(?), keyleth, apparently has really big deer horns and i wonder constantly if she ducks every time they enter a room, does she do that
vex has a twin edgelord brother and i know nothing about him other than that my friend’s tag for him and some other dude is “pour one out for vax’ilmore” which already makes me sad for them
also yeah apparently gilmore would be my favorite according to… everyone i know, because he’s little and gay and grieving and inhumanly powerful, so probably they’re right and i’d cry about him
can the raven twins fly or what like do they actually have wings, because, cool, but also fanart is really confusing
peoples’ tags for this show make me laugh bc it’s like #vax’il’dan vas normandy and #percy longshanks prettyboots coconuts mcrolo and #grog strongjaw and then just fuckin #matt mercer as if matthew mercer was just chillin out with his friends, the ten fantasy demigods
wait i remembered the bard is called scanlan and i think he tries to banish boss monsters a lot?? i saw like three seconds of a random episode where he went “GET LOSSST OH MY GODDDD” as if through a horn which i appreciated
idk why i know grog strongjaw’s name by the way i know nothing about him but i trust him?
they have their cleric on skype which i just… love, as a concept, it’s like having a doctor on call, it just tickles me
how many characters honestly are there because there’s like five…six? seven? of them playing but i listed at least ten
lots of puns
found family bonding over their fear of matt mercer
Not sure if you've made posts about it before (sorry if you have!), but could you elaborate more on the alphas not 'getting' each others' main flaws? I'm really curious since I haven't heard their relationships described like that before.
Sure, let me try to articulate what I mean here.
Basically, the alphas as a group all love each other SO MUCH, which is awesome, they’re this closeknit squad and they’re all so important to each other and their relationships all make me feel enormous sprawling feelings, but the sheer AMOUNT they all love each other sort of blinds them to some of their own needs. They all want to think the very best of each other, and the occasional thoughts they have about each other that aren’t like 100% positive get immediately suppressed and marinated in guilt juice and they try not to acknowledge it and go back to focusing on the good instead.
So they’re all kind of bottling things up about each other, right? But it doesn’t come from any malicious place, it comes from a place of wanting to be the best they can be because they care about everyone else’s opinion so much but also knowing they aren’t always their best selves – and knowing their friends aren’t always their best selves – but if THEY know their friends sometimes are shitty, that means everyone else might know that THEY are sometimes shitty, too.
They’re all trying so hard to downplay the bad and upjump the good, which is MUCH MUCH easier to do with online relationships.
You throw them into physical proximity and suddenly those annoyances you all tried so hard to pretend didn’t bug you that bad and never talked about because talking about unpleasant things is, well, unpleasant, start to boil over. Put that on top of the stressful circumstances that led to several relationships starting the session OFF more strained than usual, and wow. They had no fucking chance.
I love the alphas so much – they got shit on by a lot of the fandom because their plotline was so internal and cerebral, but that is the kind of shit I LOVE. The betas were all friends, but they never felt like ONE GROUP to me. The full four way group dynamic never crystallized. We always found them interacting one on one and rarely ABOUT one another, because the betas’ conflicts were more or less external. The betas’ story up to Collide was them vs the environment, the game, doc scratch, sburb, the horrorterrors. The alphas’ story is so much about THEM. Their relationships. Them as a group. Their interpersonal issues and foibles and there’s this element of nitty gritty real HUMAN-ness to their struggles that isn’t super present with most of the betas who feel like more fantastical figures that struggle against equally fantastical antagonists. (The betas KIND OF segue into something like this post-Collide, but it’s not expounded upon as much, they’re split into different groups, and also a lot of it got retconned - Jade and John had some interesting moments on the boat but that stuff was probably the biggest victim of the retcon.)
Here’s an example of what I mean to wrap it up:
Jane and Roxy are best friends, they love each other deeply, you can tell from their every interaction that they care tremendously about each other’s opinion of them, but. Roxy has a drinking problem. This (I think) clearly makes Jane uncomfortable sometimes, but Jane suppresses it and pushes it down because she wants to think the best of Roxy, she minimizes the issue. No one ever confronts Roxy about this very serious problem she has in any real or effective way (not just Jane, NO ONE does this) because they all want to think the best of her and oh… haha….. it’s just a little foible… just a quirk…. it’s cool…. not a big deal …. I’m sure roxy has her life under control no big deal!!
Basically EVERY alpha relationship has something like this going on. Everyone downplays how much the AR bugs them because hey I’m sure Dirk has things under control he probably does this on purpose god Dirk you’re so silly jeez Dirk we’d really like to talk to you instead of your fucking hell robot sometimes but oh well I’m sure Dirk knows what he’s doing ho hum let’s all downplay how much this actually bothers us because we want to think the best of Dirk and can’t imagine him ever creating a situation he genuinely cannot deal with or control because well gosh he’s just so capable!
Everyone downplays how selfish Jake can be because oh well Jake is just silly he’s so nice he doesn’t MEAN to be this way I mean it’s JAKE how could Jake English ever do something as vaguely malicious as take advantage of how he KNOWS Jane never really says what she’s thinking if that thing is hard to say and use that to his advantage to give him a perfectly reasonable out on having to tell her he isn’t interested in a romantic relationship with her and then, KNOWING she actually did have a huge crush on him, constantly inundate her with his issues with his boyfriend for months thereafter. Surely Jake could never be that manipulative he’s so nice!! (NOTE: I love Jake English, specifically BECAUSE of things like this, I honestly would not like him if he were actually the way fanon paints him all the time, some weak cinnamon roll that can do no wrong.)
etc etc etc
This is why I love the alphas! They are a group of fucked up teenagers who are all struggling so fucking bad but all need their friends to believe everything is ok, and who need to believe their friends are ok, who want so bad for each other to be happy that they sabotage themselves both individually and as a group in misguided attempts to pretend at and manufacture that happiness without actually doing the hard work of fixing the underlying issues preventing them from TRULY achieving it.
(The one issue, as with most things in Homestuck that I have issues with, is that we are not shown the resolution to these arcs and struggles in canon, boooooooooooooooooooooo)
Lately I’ve been seeing a post circulating about how Saeyoung’s dark chocolate ending is actually a bad ending where MC doesn’t accept his true self but instead coerces him to be a mask of himself; since they believe that ending isn’t true to his cannon self. I can understand that people’s headcannons might be different but some of them even compare that ending to Jumin’s possessive bad ending. May I ask your own take on it? Do you thinks those endings have any parallels?
Umm well there aren’t “bad ends” in that Valentines DLC. So I won’t even address comparisons to Jumin because it’s completely different.
Saeyoung is the most common favorite and sort of the signature character of the game which is why I assume they gave him 2 endings.
The dark chocolate ending is, of course, more provocative. I honestly loved it. He and MC have been together for a bit of time at that point, and it’s just so intimate.
It (the way he talks) sounds strange, because Saeyoung is a suuuuuper technical person. He thinks in numbers and computer programs etc. That’s just how his mind works. To a normal person, the way he phrases things may sound…odd and probably most of all–detached. We have to keep in mind he didn’t go to regular school and has basically spent his life with computers…..so ya.
Not only does this (the way he talks) fit his CANON personality, but it is a fucking clever way for Cheritz to get away with being naughty without saying things that are too risqué.
This whole ending, to me…is a more mature, consensual, and sexual love. It’s all about opening up to one another not just mentally but physically. This isn’t someone trying to dominate or hurt another person, this is Saeyoung saying basically:
“Look, I know what I want to do to you. I’ve thought about it many times. I want you to relax and give your fears and anxieties over to me, and I will take care of you. Don’t hide yourself and don’t be afraid. I want to see you at your most vulnerable.”
Which is honestly what sex is. Experimenting as a couple is friggin’ scary, and new territory for both of them. But it’s also very exciting.
This is a conversation a lot of couples have. Or it may be something you slowly test the waters in over the course of your relationship.
THIS IS LIKE THE BEST MOST WONDERFUL ENDING IN THE WHOLE GAME HOW COULD YOU THINK THIS IS BAD!!!! THIS IS LIKE A HUUUUGE STEP IN A RELATIONSHIP AND SHOWS HOW FAR THEY’VE COME IN UNDERSTANDING AND TRUSTING ONE ANOTHER!
Okay, I can see how you could misinterpret lol. Like I said, Saeyoungs weird way of speaking can make it sound as if he is idk maybe being controlling or manipulative but like I said, it’s just the way his brain works and also it’s better for him to say “ill make sure you have the best night in my own little game” than “imma fuck you so good, gurllll” lol
Anyway…I see in no way, shape or form how you could interpret this as MC coercing him into not being his true self? This ending couldn’t be more Saeyoung if it tried. He has canon sadistic tendencies, he is a techno dork, he is one billion percent about consensual relations, and he loves MC and just wants to share everything with each other as a means to be as close as possible.
TeruMob & ShouRitsu College AU. Inspired from @beanpots
I’ve always wanted to draw this headcanon for a while now. I like the idea where couples wear matching accessory and I thought really hard on what kind of accessory that would match these boys.
I still think that rings would match TeruMob better, but rings will likely catch too many attention from people, especially Mob who doesn’t seem to be the type who wear accessory. So, Teru would buy a pair of custom-made earrings with Blue & Black stone. They will wear it on one of their earlobes; Mob with the blue earring and Teru with the black earring. For ShouRitsu, I was thinking of bracelet or necklace. Not too flashy, yet casual and still in style and look like something Shou would buy for RItsu.
This was really fun to do! I really like how Bean draw their hairs (although Mob is still the same hairstyle, but that’s okay), especially Teruki’s. I had a blast to decide what kind of clothes I would make them wear, Teruki was the hardest to choose because a lot of clothes seems to fit him really well X”D Also, my first proper ShouRtisu~! Yey~! Although it’s AU, but who cares lol!
oh man, I said this before but I’ll say it again, I missed this show something fierce and I love it so dang much. It makes me happy every time, even with tense or sad episodes. It’s great and I love it. I hope the next hiatus isn’t nearly as long as this one was.
Okey doke, here are a few thoughts on this block of episodes. I’m just gonna sum up a few thoughts since I’m talking about all 6 rather than each episode separately, but I’ll discuss each ep later if I feel the need to.
1) “Dewey Wins” - this episode sets up the main conflict of the block, which is Steven and Connie’s fight. It’s also the first in a string of upheavals this arc sets up in that Mayor Dewey ends up stepping down and Nanafua is the new mayor. Very curious on how that change is going to play in the plot, ‘cause I reckon Nanafua will be the better mayor to have when the Diamonds figure out Steven is back on Earth (she’s very good at rallying people)
2) “Gemcation” - I reeeeally loved this one! I’ve been dying for a Gem Family-centered episode (in the vein of “Steven Floats”) for a while and this was just what I was looking for. Garnet, Amethyst, Pearl, and Greg all had excellent moments (Garnet awkwardly following a script, Amethyst trying to comfort Steven, “It’s not the pain, it’s the surprise,” and sweet supportive Dad Universe, just as a few examples) in this episode. And I just love when everyone comes together to try and support Steven.
And do not think I didn’t notice that Pearl, like, physically cannot talk about things. As I’m sure a lot of other folks have pointed out by now, this isn’t the first time she’s clapped her hand over her mouth during intense Homeworld talk. The fact that they’re pointing out that it’s more of something preventing her from talking about it (“impossible to describe” in a more literal sense) rather than just her being overcome with emotion tells me we’re getting pretty close to when she will be talking about it.
3) “Raising the Barn” - This was another great episode which I feel very evenly portrayed Lapis and Peridot’s perspectives on what was going on. I like how Peridot has sort of become this Gem advocate for Earth and I think it kind of gives a picture of what early Crystal Gems were like, just discovering Earth and the idea of infinite potential. Peridot is such a goofy, often comedy relief-centered character but she has such genuine heart when she talks about the idea of the Earth and I feel like that aspect really balances out her character.
I do totally get where Lapis is coming from, having lived through a terrible war and been prisoner for so long. She hasn’t quite yet felt part of Earth or the Crystal Gems, she just knows she’s not part of Homeworld anymore. She remembers what happened the last time, how even after such a long fight the Diamond’s corrupted the Gems on Earth rather than let them get away with their revolt. It really does seem like a hopeless fight and without feeling like she belongs on Earth it doesn’t make sense for her to fight a battle she believes they’ll definitely lose and be severely punished for. She does have a connection to Earth, though, and we know she will be back. I look forward to seeing how that happens
4) “Back to the Kindergarten” - This was a nice episode and it was sweet to see Steven and Amethyst trying to cheer Peridot up. I also loved how excited Amethyst is about the Famethyst and how it reframed her context for the Kindergarten from the difficult and depressing place it was for her for so long to more of an optimistic and positive place of “this is where me and my family are from!” sort of thing. I’m glad it could be like that for her.
I like the conclusion in the end, that some things aren’t fixable but that doesn’t mean everything is bad and hopeless. Sometimes you just gotta move on to something that you can work with.
5) “Sadie Killer” - This was another upheaval in that it ends with Sadie quitting the Big Donut, which is a big change for her character. I’m super curious where they end up going with this and how it’s going to play into everything. I also really enjoyed the song!
It’s so fun to see the Cool Kids interact and hang out (with Steven!). They’re all sweet kids and I definitely think it’s good for Steven to have them in his life
6) “Kevin Party” - This was such a Stevonnie episode even though Stevonnie never actually shows up (like, physically, I mean). Kevin was very Keviny in this ep but in such an entertaining way. He had his own interest at heart but he did still help Steven out (I mean, not with the best advice but) But also I can’t not hear Janja now when Kevin talks, haha
I did like the conclusion to Steven and Connie’s conflict. I like when stuff like this looks at both sides, and that the problem isn’t so much a black and white right or wrong thing, but the idea that you have to think more about how your actions affect others but also that it’s okay to be hurt even if you understand? I dunno, it’s a complicated thing but I think about it a lot.
I’m curious how this will affect Steven’s matyr complex going forward. He has a real problem with guilt and feeling like he has to atone for stuff his mother did but also has an issue with understanding Rose’s actions and motivations, he just sees that people are upset by it and being caught in the crossfire and he wants to fix it. But, like, a few episodes back he says something like “Homeworld is only attacking Earth because of what Rose did” which is true, but he doesn’t take into account how if Rose didn’t start the Rebellion, there straight up would not be an Earth for Homeworld to be attacking. Something isn’t quite connecting there for him (I do kind of wonder if part of that is from Rose’s own guilt about everything and it’s just kind of leeching into him and preventing him from thinking objectively about it)
I dunno, it’s interesting. I definitely feel like it’ll come into play and be confronted in the episodes to come. I think this incident with Connie, and Connie in general, will play a big part in helping Steven stop punishing himself for the imagines sins of his mother.
Anywho, those are just some quick thoughts on these episodes. I thoroughly enjoyed them, though they could be pretty heavy at times (it’s tough to see Steven so somber for so long!)
I have now spent two years loving and being exhausted by a certain boyband!
What I have also loved (and honestly sometimes been exhausted by but like, the luxury!) is the amount of incredible fics that I’ve read in this fandom. So I’ve put together a list of some of the works that have carved their own little spot in my heart and that I will cherish forever. The fact that I can call some of you my friends is quite astounding and the rest of y’all should come be friends with me already! I’m right here!
List under the cut cause this is pretty frickin’ long!
The writing in this fic left so much room for me to just experience the story
without being distracted and it left my heart BLEEDING ON THE FLOOR OK. The
story treats the characters with so much respect and love and I love the take
enemies to friends to lovers that never feels forced or random. This fic happens
in the grand gestures as well as the tiniest of details and I feel like I could
never describe it in a fair way with such few words. Just. Fuck. Read this because like – brilliant
writing, lgbt pals!!!, gorgeous
setting, WEST VIRGINIA!, complex and beautifully written characters and because
I say so because it’s one of my favourite fics ever.
I loooove historical fics, especially when
the writer manages to capture the era not just in text but in spirit. It’s such
a beautifully built story about love that should be impossible but in the end
is the only thing right. About finding your place in the universe so that even
when you’re not with them you still
belong. It’s a story about a journey that starts in two places and ends as one.
Can we just put aside the beautiful writing and the brilliant story arc and
wonderful characterizations for just a mo? And talk about THE SPIRIT THIS FIC CAPTURES???
How you feel like you’re right there in that disgusting van (with a bunch of
kind of clueless boys) and you love Queen more than anything and you’re falling
in love for the first time and you’ve got the whole world in your hands? And at
the end you’re left trembling because your heart is bursting in your chest?
Yup, let’s talk about that.
I don’t even know what to tell you. This gave me goosebumps several times just
by the way the writer describes Louis’ love and want for Harry. How is that
even possible. This fic is so painful but it’s so so so soooooo worth it.
A second after having finished this I went over to tumblr to declare my love to the writer. This fic saved my life. (who are you calling dramatic?) I’m obsessed
with stories where they are so completely gone for each other that it could be
seen from the moon and yet, yet! Oh
god. The relationships in this story are everything. The friendships,
companionships and family dynamic is so so wonderful and you have to read this
because it will save your life too. Just sayin’.
Now this is the fic I want to live inside. Like make my own little home there
and hang out with my pals (Louis, Harry and everyone else) and I’d be so so
happy. It’s not a fluffy cotton cloud of a fic, the characters struggle and
fight their inner battles, but that never makes them any less beautiful and I
love that so so much. Reading this is like finding new friends, everyone has
their own shit to deal with, but together you’ll make it out alright in the end
(and you might have the best time while getting there as well). READ!
I’m amazed by people who manage to create a new world without ever losing the
connection to ours. This fic is eerie, creative, utterly fascinating, gentle
and so so beautiful. I was scared, my belly was fluttering, I held my breath,
had my mind whirring and my tears streaming. It’s stories like this that makes
me loose my breath with what people can come up with and how they can put words
to those magical thoughts inside their heads.
Okay so. For those of you who don’t know – I fucking love ABO. Like. Love it.What I love even more is when
people come up with new, norm breaking and challenging ways of writing it and
this does that in the best way ever. This story is so incredibly intense, so
sweet and hot and gorgeous. Writing ABO can be tricky because there’s a lot of
“traps” to fall in to and this fic manages to avoid those while also remaining
so wonderfully human. God. Just read it. Please.
This fic is like a dream. It’s what happens between the lines, it’s the tears
streaming down my face and my belly aching and me smiling so hard my face hurt.
You read this and you don’t know what is happening to you, but you know you
never want it to end. It’s so absolutely gorgeous and nostalgic and perfect.
Ya know when a writer takes you on a journey? And lets you experience the ups
and downs of real life struggles, about how you’re so passionate about your job
that it takes up almost all your time and emotional capacity and yet somehow
your life is happening simultaneously and when love appears to be an obstacle
but turns out to be exactly what you need? And afterwards you feel all empty
because you realise this was just a story and now it’s ended? Yeah. That.
Following this fic as it was posted is one of the most incredible reading
experiences I’ve had since I started reading fic (15 or so years ago). It’s no
secret that I love stories about “older Larry” and this story beautifully
captures the perspective of how time both heals and rips up new wounds. The
story is loud and harsh but also manages to be one of the most vulnerable and
openhearted stories of love I’ve ever read.
MAAAAH!!! I get a little teary eyed (okay A LOT) just thinking about this fic.
I was still so new in the fandom and Lucy was one of the first people in the
fandom I ever spoke to and reading it is just a very very fond memory. OKAY.
The Louis and Harry of this story are some of the most gentle and loveable and
beautiful characters ever. My heart cried with happy tears from how much they
love each other, how brave they are and how they have FINALLY found the person
for them. It’s just. God. I love this fic so much.
When it’s not right until it’s right and your heart has to break a few times
along the way and you have to find yourself and the other person needs to find
themselves but in the end – it’s right. This story is so gorgeously written, the flashbacks tie in so beautifully with
the present. I love it when they both struggle and they both fuck up but it is
so so apparent through out the story that they love and support each other
Screw the “classics”, THIS is it. This is the classic of classics. This is all
that should be taught in school and it’s one of my favourite stories ever. It’s
the coming of age story we all deserve. It’s got groovy music, nostalgia, lgbtq
politics, trying to exist in a world that hates you, falling in love for the
first time and finding the place where you belong (it might be a person). You
will cry, laugh and fall in love through out this story and you will be
endlessly sad when it ends because you never want it to.
-insert incoherent screaming for five years or more- Don’t you just love it
when you read something and afterwards you feel ATTACKED because the writer changed something within you? They just
went ahead and made themselves a permanent spot in your heart? RUDE! This story
is so heartfelt from the first letter and I laughed and cried and loved so so
so hard throughout the whole thing. There’s so much love and chemistry between
Louis and Harry you can basically touch it. Add fucking cabaret, the ocean, beautiful self discovery and a setting so
gorgeous you never wanna leave? Yeah.
Oh god, we all love a good thriller right. When your
nerves are on high alert and you keep racking your brain to figure out what the fuck is going on and then right smack in the
middle of that you add one of the most emotional and tender love stories ever?
MY JAM. This is it. You will bite your nails and you will clutch your heart and
you will love this as much as I do. That I promise.
Okay if there’s someone who
hasn’t caught on yet – I’m an emotional mess and I love nothing more than fics
that makes me feel so much which.
This. It left me a sobbing mess, made me want to smack the characters around
(looking at you Lima), made me fall in love and made me laugh so hard because
Ri has one of the sharpest snappiest sense of humour I know. I love this fic so
much, it’s intense in all the best ways and right in the middle of that is
always the most important thing – their love for each other.
This fic is literally about a supernatural event but it still captures so much
of what I see in real life Louis and Harry. How the universe could simply never
accept them being apart. It’s so clever and brilliantly told, so so beautifully
written and I’m so in love with the characterisations and the small but oh so
The first time I read this I had to stop halfway through the first chapter
because I could not for the life of me understand how this could be a real
thing that existed in the real world. I was crying the whole way through and it
was part because it’s an absolutely breathtaking story with gorgeous
characters, and part because it’s some of the most stunning words anyone has
ever put together ever. Ever.
MAAAAAAAAH. You want to read something that makes you laugh and makes your
heart beat faster and makes you sweat with nerves while the characters have a
connection that it so strong it literally sparkles? Yes you do. And you want to
read this because this is that and so much more. READ!
Okay so. This fic. I once said Birbie’s writing makes me want to lie down and rest in
their words and that is so true. This fic is so multi-layered, intelligent and
beautifully written, but first and foremost it’s so heart achingly,
breathtakingly human. It’s about
growing, about relearning what happiness feels like in your bones, with a side
of poetry and strong opinions about fictional characters. This is fic is my
This is so spectacular. It’s so pure and beautiful and the love in this story
is more magical than the fact that one of them is a guardian angel. It’s a gift
to write about beings that are not of this world and still make them feel so
incredibly, painfully, gorgeously human. This universe is so cleverly built and
the story stabs you right in the heart. (which is the best feeling ever of
Oh my god. I loved how this high lighted the importance of telling the stories
of lgbtq people from the past while also being an incredible love story. The
switching timelines between now and then, as well as between the different POVs
is so clever and beautifully done and the writer manages to capture the
atmosphere of both worlds so perfectly. It’s a story that makes you think of
the way we see the world, of the “truths” that are being told to us by people
with narrow minds and too much power.
You know when you come across a fic that makes you feel seen and loved and cherished? Just because you get to
experience the writer seeing and loving and cherishing the characters? And the
characters see and love and cherish each other so much? This is it. Right here.
This fic deals with mental health issues in such a respectful and delicate way.
It’s a story about two people who struggle but still find each other. About how
you don’t have to be in a perfect place to find love and how that other person
doesn’t have to be your “saviour”. It’s a story about being brave.
Swallow My Words by YesIsAWorld
I’m absolutely obsessed
with stories that show how the world is a complex, scary place and that we’re
all just creatures trying to navigate, trying to find our way, and it’s not
always easy – and that’s okay. This story is so incredibly heartfelt, mixing
tender sweetness with fright and doubts. I love how it deals with the coming
out process, so realistic and respectful. It’s not about how much you love the
other person or how proud you are - there can be a billion factors to count in
and that’s okay. It’s also okay to be frustrated over the fact that you want to
yell about your love from the rooftops but maybe you can’t. At least for now.
Read this and cry and grow so proud of the journey the characters make.
I loved the perspective of what happens after the war, when it’s still so
present in the minds and hearts of the people experiencing it and how you (try
to) move on from that. I adored the gentle love that blooms between Louis and
Harry in this story. About how love can grow even in the darkest of places.
This fic is so so beautiful and heart breaking in the best way.
I almost feel disrespectful talking about this fic because I don’t think I can
properly put words to how I feel about it. About how incredibly massive it is
in the way the writer captures these characters, in the heavy silences and the
fragile moments where love and pain and companionship can coexist. I’ll carry
this story with me for a long, long time. Just. Read this and have your breath
I think I could write a novel about my love for this fic. I literally started
crying within the first paragraph of reading this. With only a sentence my
belly would drop to the floor and the next my heart would beat out of my chest.
It’s a true talent to write something so emotional and intense yet never making
feel over dramatic or unrealistic. This fic is pure emotional brilliance and
it’s absolutely gorgeously written. It’s everything really.
Be Seamless by dinosaursmate AAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!! Gosh.
Just. When you read a summary of a story and go ”holy shit” and then you read the story itself and
you go ”HOLY SHIT”. Yeah. This story is so unique, so sensual, so gentle, so
funny and so incredibly GORGEOUS. Just all of it – GORGEOUS! The visuals are
absolutely stunning, their feelings developing and growing are so intense and
sweet and perfect, the sexual tension is to
die for and I love the way it
portrays sexuality, love and sensuality in such a fluid gracious way. Gosh.
I read all 132k of this in 24 hours and those 24 hours were so fucking intense.
This is one of those fics you’re just going to have to read to understand how
immense, how impossible, how unique, brilliant and absolutely devastatingly
horrifying it is. It is so so beautiful while dealing with the absolute most
terrifying thing that exists – the human mind. It’s about breathtaking
connections between brave people who fumble in the dark, about how terror can
seem like a viable solution and how people try to exist in a world that seems
hopeless. It’s about love. This story is so beyond epic. Just read it.
When this fic started out I thought I knew where it was heading, but then it
didn’t but instead it told me a story of how we’re all just human, and we’re
scared of love, we’re scared of moving on, we’ve got motivations that are
hidden to others and no matter how hard we try - we might fuck up sometimes,
but at the end of the day all that matters are the people that we love. GOD.
God. This fic is something else. Just. Truly. I never wanted it to end.
When you can recognize someone writing on the very specific way it makes you feel? Like? Yeah. Yeah. Reading this fic
brought up so much for me personally and the writer manages to put words to
complex thoughts that so many of us have had growing up, while simultaneously
writing something so intense and hot and soft. I could barely breathe after I
finished this and then I couldn’t stop thinking about girl Larry. I still
haven’t stopped thinking about girl Larry. My life is now girl Larry. READ
okay i’ve mentioned this before, but i wish taako’s relationship with sazed was treated with more… nuance, i guess? like, nothing in canon leads me to believe that they were in a relationship, but i see it get treated that way a lot? like, it’s fine if that’s your interpretation, live your best life, but it’s hard for me to see the version of taako who thought he grew up alone just… straight up goin’ for it. he don’t trust like that. sazed idolized him, and that felt nice, but he was more of a… means to an end, i think?
just!! i see a lot people portray him as this slick, manipulative abuser and then taako is this really meek and accommodating person in response. and i just don’t buy that!! that’s so antithetical to who taako is to me. he wouldn’t keep that kind of person around.
like, this is a taako who thinks he’s spent his life alone - the only person he can rely on is himself. what has anybody ever done to show him that other people are worthy of his trust? he’s more selfish. he’s distant and a little cold! maybe he craves companionship (even though he can’t remember why) but i think he’d go about getting it kind of sideways. taako is a star: he has fans, not friends. certainly not more than that.
like… he’s not a great person without lup’s influence. nobody’s there to mediate his pragmatism. he’s… sharper? more bristly. he doesn’t want to give anybody power over him.
so sazed looks at taako like he’s hung the moon, and that’s pretty nice. it feels good!! and he’s useful. works hard! so taako will let him stick around. maybe sazed had feelings for taako? maybe he didn’t. i pictured him as kind of a Nice Guy™ figure, but that’s just me. when he doesn’t get what he wants - maybe taako, maybe a place in the show, maybe both! whatever floats ur boat - he gets mad. and like, taako’s kind of an asshole to him, but that doesn’t excuse or justify what sazed ends up doing.
Okay I AM NERVOUS. This is something I wrote just for fun. Well, this is what I do anyways, I write for fun. But this is something I think I could risk enough to post here cuz… who knows. Anyway. I know is crap. I’m no pro and English is also not my first language so… I’m sorry. But that idea was haunting me and I felt like I needed to.
You and Harry are best friends and he’s in love with you, but you’re afraid to let things happen.
“Don’t touch my bum!” Harry screamed and giggled whilst you were trying to put your right hand in the red circle.
“This is the last thing I wanna do, Harry.“ You did your best to sound serious and mad but ended up laughing.
Twister Thursdays where a thing between you and Harry’s friends. It all started as a joke but then it became almost a holy tradition: every time the CHASM had some free time in the big Apple your place was the place to be. And on Thursdays nights playing twister was a rule.
So there you were another thursday night playing twister like a bunch of 10 year olds. — The only thing that set the difference from children, however, was the countless wine glasses that had already been filled and emptied.
“Okay. This is round 7, I guess.” Clare said with the weight of her body resting on the tip of her toes while one leg was above Harry, who was almost lying on the colored circles carpet. “‘S nothing wrong with sayin’ you lost, Harry.”
Harry was a stubborn little thing and you knew it pretty well. After he loses the first time, he does everything so he can win, what didn’t seem to happen tonight. The first two rounds he lose it to you, the other two to Adam and the last one to Sarah. His pride was hurt and he was drunk with adrenaline filling his bloodstream, what was making his competitive ego light up like a christmas tree.
“‘M gonna fire you all, that’s wha’ ‘M gonna do.”
“Oh for fuck’s sake! Call it quits, Harry!” You complain, Clare’s toe touching your neck.
“If you don’t do it I do then. That’s all, folks.” Mitch say crawling out of the carpet and stretching himself up.
Harry sighed in defeat as everyone stretched out trying to be more comfortable. It was 1am when Adam got a call from his wife and decided to go home, leading everyone to make the same decision. They all collect their stuff and took their last sip of wine before quickly helping you to clear all the mess that was made and saying goodbye.
Harry, however, was the only one who always stayed for the night. A little over a year ago you had become the best of friends and together you had a great deal of freedom and intimacy, strange as it may seem in other eyes. While his $11m apartment was under reform, it was in yours that he could feel a little bit at home. It wasn’t even close to how big his apartment was, but he has his clothes, instruments and everything he liked there. And you as company, of course, that was absolutely Harry’s favorite thing at the moment.
Looking back to how it happened and how fast it happened it was very weird. You and Harry met because some friend of yours was friends with Glenn, Jeff’s fiance, and she put you backstage. Suddenly you and Harry were laughing to each other jokes and realizing that you had nothing and everything in common. It’s hard to explain how it happened, but he had one ring stuck in your hair and you find it later when you were in your home preparing yourself to bed. Thank God you exchanged numbers that same night. After the first text you never stopped doing so.
A few months later your closet had a bunch of his flower shirts and band t-shirts in your closet and you were even calling it yours, wearing it to sleep.
The instruments and equipments from studio came a little bit later. First he brought a guitar and then his electric guitar, the keyboard, the microphone… And slowly his stuff took over your home office. You didn’t really care. You did not use the home office so often, since all of your college projects was on your laptop - that rarely was on your desk anyways.
“Okay, mister.” you said in a yawn. “I don’t think it’s necessary to say but: make yourself at home. My college student ass gotta go to bed.”
“Oh, no! Please, let’s jus’ finish this bottle.” his pouty lips made you smile. “Pretty please?”
“No. You ain’t doing any of my test, are you?” you said laughing and held him by his waist, placing a kiss on his bare shoulder. He held you back, slow dancing to “Carry On” by Norah Jones playing in the speakers of your iPod. "It’s very tempting, I must say, but my classes waits for me tomorrow morning.”
“Hmm-hmm.” He murmured burying his head into your neck. “Wanna slow dance with ya.” He whirled you as Norah sang the chorus. “Let’s just forget…” He sang with a smirk on his lips.
“Harold.” You called him with the most serious and firm voice you could, but a smile escaped the corner of your mouth. “We’re drunk.”
He held you tight once more, still dancing slowly with trembling steps. His warm lips met the skin of your neck making you shiver. He laugh with your reaction, yet with his lips against your neck.
“It never fails, huh?” he kisses it again, now gently sucking the skin.
"Stop!” You scream, stepping away from him laughing. “You little bitch! If you left me a hickey I’m going to cut your dick off.”
“You love me!” He teases you and you ignore him making your way to your bathroom and then to your bedroom.
You slip under the covers and cringe - even if America is facing it’s summer. This was a habit that used to annoy Harry a little. He couldn’t understand how you could sleep under the blankets even though it was 95°F, but he used to love how your body was always warm. Always ready for cuddles, he says.
Not much more than ten minutes later, when you were almost asleep he appears in the door of your room with puppy eyes and with his pillow held against his body. He quietly climbs in to the bed and got closer to you, his chest meeting your back and his arms involving you.
“Hey.” He whispers when he sees he scared you out a bit. “‘S jus’ me. ‘M in the mood for a cuddle, that’s all.” He presses his lips against your neck and whisper you a good night.
You sneak to look to your cell phone screen and the clock it’s ticking 4 am. Next to you, a restless Harry can’t seem to find a comfortable position to sleep.
“What’s going on there?” you turn to him. His hair all messed up and eyes wide open.
“Oh, you’re awake?” He turn to you.
“I wasn’t.” You make a face and rub your eyes.
“I’m sorry. Can’t sleep.” He sighs bothered. “I’ll go back to the other room.” He starts to stand up but you hold him.
“No! It’s okay. Do you wanna talk?” you ask and yawn. You’re still sleepy, but something tells you Harry is really bothered with something.
He looks back at you with his pink lips pouting. You straight yourself up and lean your back on the headboard and he does the same.
“What’s going on, H?” you ask as you try to fix his messy hair.
He looks at you seriously, his eyes on your lips. He sighs again now facing the wall.
“You know you can talk to me, baby. I’m listening, go on.” You give his arm a soft squeeze.
“I’m not lyin’ or kiddin’ whenever I say I love you, you know that, right?” he starts, making you sigh impatiently. You knew what he meant with that conversation and you wasn’t in the mood to argue about this again. “Y/N, this is serious.” He looks at you back and holds you hand.
“I love you too Harry but you know what I think about that. And I’ve said that a thousand times. Please, let’s not have this conversation right now.” You end the conversation, making Harry leave the bed and go to the guest room.
You didn’t mean to be that rude but that subject bothered you. Always bothers. When you lay your head on your pillow, you feel your heart ache thinking about Harry being hurt and think about go there and say you’re sorry, but you know that could make things worse now, so you do your best so you can sleep, what doesn’t work.
When you get up in the morning you sneak to see if he was sleeping, but he was gone.
The whole driving to college was awful and once you were there you couldn’t think about anything else than Harry.
You always have had a good relationship and an intimacy that may seem exaggerated to those who are just friends, but this has always worked for both of you. Sharing clothes, shampoos and the same bed were extremely common between you. Saying “I love you”, seeing each other in underwears and joking about start dating was almost a routine. Until a few months ago, at least.
You were in Holmes Chapel. Inside the house, only you, Harry and Dotty enjoyed the evening, Harry strumming the strings of his guitar while the scent of cinnamon rolls hovered over the house. Dotty was taking a nap between the two of you in the couch while you were with the plate in your lap, you gave one to Harry and bite another one.
“Hmm.” He closes his eyes and smile in approval. “So yummy.”
You look at, him peacefully breathing and seeming to have the time of his life tasting that cinnamon roll with a blanket by his shoulders and a beanie on his head and for a moment you are sure that he is the most handsome man your ever laid your eyes on.
“Wha’?” He asked with a shy smile on his lips. “What? Am I dirty?” He licked the corner of his lips looking for some remnant cinnamon. You nod and he smiles.
“But you are.” He puts the guitar away and lean next to you, passing his thumb by the left corner of your mouth. He seems to pay attention in your traces and a smirk rises on his plump pinky lips before he presses it against yours. It takes a few seconds till you open your mouth and let him slip his tongue in. The kiss is meaningful and deep, making you both feel like you could’ve stay there like that forever. You just move away from each other when Dotty stretches, scratching Harry’s belly just as Anne unlocks the door and enters smiling.
After that kiss others happened, but you never took it too seriously. Harry was chill as well; Sometimes he said that every time you kissed he was sure it was with you he would want to spend the rest of his life with, but you always took it as a joke. Last time you kissed Harry asked you to be his girlfriend and you almost ended up arguing.
There has always been a sexual tension between you two and you always had a crush on him, even before you met him. The more you knew each other deeply, the more you admire him but for some reason you couldn’t believe him.
Part of it was fear. You were afraid: afraid of everything you would have to face, afraid of being disappointed, and afraid of being used. You knew Harry was no womanizer as the media painted him but you were afraid that it was just sex. Even though you never had it before, to you sex was something meaningful, almost holy so you couldn’t just do it a few times and that’s it. You were afraid Harry could leave you. You had a good self-esteem, but when compared to Harry’s exes you were not so sure. They were all tall, had long legs and perfect skins. You had your own beauty, of course, but you didn’t look like any of them. If it weren’t all of your fears, you were sure that the two of you would be together. But you just couldn’t.
The friday passed slowly. After the end of your classes you couldn’t find the courage to return home, with a heart full of desire to apologize to Harry and to try to get around this situation. You went into some stores and looked for something to give him. Eventually you bought him a poetry book, thing you knew had become his habit.
It was already dark when you finally decided to send a message to Harry when you were on your way home. You didn’t receive any response, which made you think that maybe he was still too upset to talk.
You entered your apartment and with the lights still off put the package on the kitchen island. You took a few steps until finally reach the light switch and facing a large white piano taking over the space of your living room. That thing definitely wasn’t there when you left. Sweeping the space with your eyes, you saw a bouquet with several roses and some candles helping the lighting.
“Wha- what is that?” you whisper, your brain trying to assimilate what was happening. “Harry?” you scream.
He walks to the living room wearing a pink shirt, tight jeans and looking at you serious. He sits by the piano and when you start to talk, he shish you, playing the first notes.
“When the rain is blowing in your face…” his voice is quite weak, but he clears his throat and continue. “And the whole world is on your case
I could offer you a warm embrace
To make you feel my love.” He looks at you with teary eyes. You’re almost crying as well, feeling like your heart could jump out of your chest any moment now.
“I know you haven’t made your mind up yet
But I will never do you wrong
I’ve known it from the moment that we met
No doubt in my mind where you belong…
I could make you happy, make your dreams come true
There’s nothing that I wouldn’t do
Go to the ends of this Earth for you
To make you feel my love.”
He stands up, breathing loud and heavily, his eyes wide open.
“I’ve made ya favorite meal. And ’m sorry that I put this grand piano on your livin’ room. I know - or at least I think I know what goes through your mind whenever you think about jumping in that with me, bu-” he starts, talking faster than he usually do and can’t contain the tears on his eyes.
You are sobbing as well when the palm of your hands cups his cheeks and you dry a tear away with your thumb.
“No.” He interrupts you. “Lemme finish. I want to make this work. I can imagine you’re afraid. I imagine this also requires you to give up a lot, but I’m willing to give up too. I’ve never felt like this. Please… jus…” he cries again and look down. You hug him, holding him so tight you think you two can become one. “Let’s give it a try.” His voice is low and weak and he sobs against your neck.
You rest your hands on his neck and pulls him away so you can look at him. His face is wet, the green eyes with his pupils dilated. You finally kiss him, the kiss seeming more appropriate than ever. It is full of desire, almost like a need. He begins to kiss your neck and holds you tighter.
And in that moment all your fears were gone. Involved in his arms you felt safe and capable, and more than ever you felt ready to face the world and feel his love.
au where instead of anakin’s family on tatooine, obi-wan brings luke to padmé’s family on naboo and he gets to be raised by his aunt sola and uncle darred along with his awesome older cousins ryoo and pooja. then he grows up to be a youth senator for naboo and meets leia (who’s a youth senator for alderaan) and the two become best friends immediately
can you write a companions react to sole being held hostage or something along those lines?? I love your blog so much btw it’s great and I always look forward to reading what you’ve written! 💕
Okay, so this is very long. (I put it under Keep reading, so I don’t clog up your dashes xD)
Also, Angst, Blood and Gore, Mentions of Torture… If you don’t like reading things like this, I suggest you don’t :)
Looky who we found trying to break in to our
camp – Sole. We’ve heard a lot about this here one and if you want to ever see
them again, you best bring down 10,000 caps to the [Place]. Or else, you’ll
find them in pieces strung up on spikes. Starting with their head… Your choice.
2p America: “You really want a mini me running around here, huh??” He would laugh about it, but certainly wouldn’t be against it.
2p England: “Oh, poppet! I’d love to, if you want to, but-” He would be all for it, very excited, but also very worried. What if something goes wrong? What if he isn’t the best father? He doubts everything that could happen.
2p China: Cue nervous laughter and a lot of stuttering. As much as he would like kids, he’d find the whole thing to be kind of difficult. He’s not the most consistent person, let alone a consistent father.
2p France: “….” He wouldn’t really want a kid. He feels like he messed up raising Matt, and he doesn’t want to mess up again.
2p Russia: “I see. You really want a child?” He would make sure that it was truly okay with it. He’d be somewhere in the middle, as the idea would put him off for a little bit, but if you give him time he will warm up to the idea of having a child.
2p Canada: “You sure..?” “…Okay.” He’s wanted kids before, but never asked. He wants to prove to himself that he can take care of a child, better than he thought his own father did.
2p Italy: “Oh,bella,I don’t see why not… But why?” He’d be okay with it, but would want a specific reason as to why you wanted to have a child with him.
2p Germany: He’d give you a big hug immediately. “Hey, of course! I mean, they’re basically a little bundle of insomnia, but that’s not so bad!” He’d love to have a child with you, as for him it shows him just how much you do love him.
2p Japan: “Hm…” He wouldn’t decide immediately, not really liking the idea a whole lot. Though he isn’t completely against it, just let him think about it.
2p Romano: Cue dramatic gasp. “Oh bella, of course!!” He’d be all for it, already making up plans for the baby. Name, baby shower, room, whatever; he’ll have it done in no time.
2p Austria: “Oh, darling, of course~, I was wondering when you’d ask~” He has been wanting kids for a while now, as it kind of says to him that now there’s no way that you’d leave him.
2p Prussia: “W-What? Are you sure? I don’t… Think that I’d be the best father, but…” As much as he would love children, he doubts that he’ll be the best he can be for his child, so is mostly just worried.
Note: I am so sorry this has taken so long to get to! Things have been kind of hectic but I’m back to writing now and here you go! I hope you enjoy. Also I want to clarify that the reader is supposed to be 18 while the guys are all 19 so like, they are both adults.
Request: @lunaladybug asked: Hi! I’m here to request a John Laurens x Reader. Reader is Alexander’s little sister. He is very protective over her but they and tease eachother a lot. One day Alex asks Reader if she’d like to meet his friends. Reader is like “yeah okay.” She meets Hercules, Lafayette, and John. Once she sees John, she’s helpless. John also kinda likes her but is wary since, hello, best friends’ little sister. Eventually they start flirting and Alex becomes a smol angry big brother. “THATS MY SISTER, BRO WTF"
Word Count: 1,876
When someone knocks on your bedroom door you jump slightly before calling out to tell them to come in.
As the door opens, you turn to find your older brother Alexander standing in the doorway. After not seeing him for a couple of months while he’s been away at college you couldn’t be more excited to see him.
"Alex!” You exclaim as you get up from you spot at the desk, quickly crossing the distance between you and wrapping your arms around your brother.
“Hey Y/N” he says, returning the hug and holding you tight. With your arms around his middle you notice how he’s lost weight and glancing at his face you notice just how dark the circles under his eyes are.
“I see you’ve been working yourself to death” you tease, poking his side as you both pull out of the hug.
* as a note, some of these are NOT canon/go against canon family trees, but these are my personal hcs as to whose related/whose not in thunderclan and how they interact w/ each other
runningwind & mousefur are twins of course and were always SUPER SUPER close. mousefur was never too crabby w/ him and they were always attached to the hip as it were; when runningwind was killed, it was very hard for mousefur to move on by herself and it’s why she became so close w/ longtail later in life, bc he reminded her of runningwind
brackenfur is like the nurturing, big brother of all his siblings despite them all being around the same age; cinderpelt always took comfort in her “cool big bro”, brightheart used to share a nest w/ him when she first went back to being a warrior, and even thornclaw would use brackenfur as a threat like “my BIG BROTHER is gonna get u” to which nerdy and sweet brackenfur comes over like “hahaha lil bro im not gonna fight anyone!! ur so sweet tho”
darkstripe always has felt like graystripe was his “replacement” bc graystripe was more welcomed and liked in the clan than him, their mother seemed to get along w/ him better, and graystripe even has the same warrior name as him, which drives darkstripe up the WALL
sandstorm was a spoiled kitten bc her only family was her and redtail for a long time [redtail is trans btw]; that’s why she was sorta a show off at first, but she mellowed out more when redtail died and she was forced to sorta grow up on her own the poor dear
lionheart & goldenflower were always called the “sunshine twins” by like everyone bc they’re both super sweet and have the prettiest golden fur; everyone just sorta was like “OH WOW u guys are so pretty??”
brindleface & longtail are littermates [non canon] and she’s always had to be ‘the grown up’ around him and constantly tried to help him grow tf up; she loves her brother dearly, but the fact that he acts our sometimes makes her a little annoyed
tigerstar comes from a looong line of leaders [his father, grandfather, great-great grandfather, etc.] so he’s always been sorta spoiled in the clan and would always mention that he has a “high rank by birth”
the most “twin like” wc siblings in thunderclan are definitely: runningwind & mousefur, goldenflower & lionheart, ashfur & ferncloud, spottedleaf & redtail, and thornclaw & brackenfur
spottedleaf and redtail were also “attached to the hip” as kits and spottedleaf was always sooo exited to show redtail new herbs that she learned and new treatments for certain ailments; redtail has a lot of allergies and she would always do her best to help her lil twin bro