So I’m re-watching Voltron
Let me just say that… holy crow there are a lot of Sheith moments in the first episode. I mean from the beginning, the moment I saw them together, their first effing scene, I already knew this ship would sail. And I liked it more than the Klance ship. Not that I’m saying Klance isn’t as good as a ship as Sheith. (Okay maybe I am but I’m not trying to pick any fights with other people’s ships. I dig Klance all right? The “We had a bonding moment! I cradled you in my arms!” moment was, I must say, one of the best scenes, whether it be from my slash shipper’s eyes or not. I fangirled on that moment all right?)
But back to the point. Sheith. SHEITH. SHEITH.
Dear Odin, Zeus and Ra, I don’t even know how to start.
Okay, I’ll just do this one at a time.
- Keith finding Shiro. I will forever love this scene, 1) because this was the start of my journey into shipping Sheith and 2) the emotions on Keith’s face upon seeing Shiro. If you’ve read my rant? comments? after seeing Voltron the first time, you know how much I talked about this. Wait did I? Then let me go on about it once again. Keith’s emotions swam from worry, shock and disbelief. But maybe I forgot to mention how his eyes seemed glassy that time. Like he was trying hard not to cry and if he weren’t time-pressured I bet he would have. And he seemed to be drinking in Shiro’s face when he saw him. Like he was making sure that this was Shiro. I’m looking at Shiro. Shiro’s here.
- Can I just point out that Keith actually had spare clothes that fit Shiro? I mean where the shell did he get that?! You can’t just have spare clothes that fit perfectly on someone. Heck, if you look closely they seem to be wearing the same thing. I mean close enough. The gloves, the utility(?) belt, the boots. You can’t just have something like that in hand. Unless, you’ve been keeping them. Or maybe hey, there was some hours before the next scene after escaping and they might have stolen some stuff for Shiro to wear. But I like to think Keith actually had some clothes in hand.
- Next is this scene. So Shiro regains consciousness and he decides to go out of the room and try to gather his thoughts as he greets the sunrise. Keith was the first person to go and follow him, maybe check up on him. This is probably the first thing he even says to Shiro where the guy is conscious. “It’s good to have you back”. I mentioned before that I think Keith isn’t the touchy-feely type unless he’s close to that person. Remember that time when he said he doesn’t usually hug strangers? That was one of the reasons and I just get that vibe from his character. Another reason for Keith to be the first one to follow Shiro is because out of the four other people with them - Lance, Pidge and Hunk don’t know Shiro on a personal level. Lance idolizes Shiro. Hunk may know him as just a senpai. Pidge knows him as the pilot his dad and brother were with. Keith, on the other hand, seems to know Shiro on a personal level. I’ve said before that I think that these two share either a platonic or familial-like relationship. So this scene feels like another hint or building block(?) to their relationship pre-Kerberos.
- They seem to gravitate towards each other. There are way too many times that Keith is beside or standing close to Shiro. And all right I like the thought that they keep the other in their line of sight at all times. Like Shiro may not be looking at Keith but he could glimpse from the corner of his eye.
- And then there’s the scene in the Blue Lion cockpit. I like to think that somehow behind that seat, Shiro’s hand is wrapped around Keith’s waist to support him.
- And then there’s this where I like to think Keith is pressing his head or leaning onto Shiro’s arm.
- And hey! This doesn’t look like they aren’t holding hands!
- And then there’s this moment where Shiro returns the shoulder squeeze.
- I also almost forgot… I love this scene too. It’s because this was probably one of the moments were Keith looks like a kid. When Shiro says he’s coming with Pidge, Keith immediately says, “What?” and his brows scrunch up in a worried way. Then the moment Shiro says his name and looks at him, his brows shoot up half-worried and maybe a bit doubtful at what Shiro’s going to say. And the way he softly says, “By myself?” It’s like he doesn’t want to get separated from Shiro at all. And Shiro proceeds to reassure him. (It actually becomes a sort of growing trend between these two further in the series. Shiro comforts Keith and calms him down and Keith is usually the first to think and worry about Shiro.)
- And let’s not forget when they were finally in the lions. Keith positions himself beside Shiro. Maybe it feels natural for the Red Lion because it’s the right arm. But it also feels like Keith’s way of saying I’ve got you covered.
- And finally. There is also this. When they finally beat Sendak. Shiro gives Keith a pat on the shoulder. He sees Keith and pats him on the shoulder. I mean out of all of them. Keith gets the you-did-great-I’m-proud-of-you pat from Shiro first.
- But this Sheith post is not complete without this tender moment between these two dorks.
And here thus ends my compilations of thoughts and observations about Sheith on the first episode of Voltron. I shall now sit and drink in the pure bliss at seeing these two together.