I think I’ve screamed enough about the kiss for several lifetimes, but I’m just going to point out other parts of the episode that I appreciated:
- first of all Victor did you *honestly* think Yuri was going to get any sleep with you laying on top of him. He’s only human, dude
- Guang-Hong Ji is??? So very cute??? I’m love
- also, it did not escape my notice that Ji imagined himself taking a fucking bullet for Leo during his performance.
- Giacometti Christofucked the ice rink again
- Phichit just kinda lying down on the ice after his routine… like, same…
- Also I am very very proud of him! U got the gold kid!!! Awesome!!!!
- Georgi is still salty and beautiful
- the saltiest
- srsly dude let it go
- Also, the skaters all holding plushies when they receive their results? Is that a thing? Its so cute
- Yuri being so relaxed + at peace after crying abt his feelings with Victor
- he touched the hair!!! He finally touchrd the hair
- he was a sneaky lil bitch about it too
- Victor’s r e a c t i o n s to yuri’s skating omg
- Yuri accepting that Victor is not a perfect coach but he’s still gonna try his damnedest to win for both of them
- h e. U s e D. V I c t o r s. S I g n a t u r e. M o v e
- the two of them are so in love that they tackle-kissed on national television and I love it
I love RR so much guys. This straight, white, middle-aged man took the time and dedication to properly represent minorites and LGBTQ+. Proper representation doesn’t usually doesn’t sell well, but Rick said “fuck it, I don’’t care”. Now we have all these amazing books where the characters are brazenly, shamelessly, unabashedly, explicitly non-white and non-straight. None of that vague, colorblind, “at the reader’s interpretation” bullshit so many authors employ to get their books to sell more. Or that dehuminazing representation where characters aren’t treated as seperate people with their own identity and goals, but are treated as caricatures. Rick chooses to make his characters be like actual people, not just members of a certain race/ethnicity/religion/sexuality.
In the Kane Chronicles, Sadie Kane and Carter Kane are biracial siblings, Zia Rashid is Arab, Walt Stone is black, Cleo is Brazilian, Julius and Ruby are an interracial couple, and the Egyptian gods are all described as non-white (with the exception of Thoth, but he was inhabiting a host at the time).
In the Heroes of Olympus, Hazel is black, Frank is Chinese-Canadian, Leo is Hispanic, Piper is Cherokee, Reyna is also Hispanic, and Nico is gay.
I haven’t read the Trials of Apollo or Magnus Chase yet, but I do know that these books have tons of LGBTQ+ and POC characters.
In all these books, none of the characters were ever reduced to just their race/ethnicity/religion/sexuality. They were all treated like actual human beings by Rick, not just some token characters to allow him to claim “diversity”.
And the best part is that his books sell. A middle-finger to all the authors who chose to write straight, white people to “play it safe”.
Matt, there has been a lack of FitzSimmons lately on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.! Please tell me that the writers are planning for something for them. I have to say, the forecast looks, ultimately, promising for the scientists-in-love. AIDA’s reveal as an LMD “will have some ripple effect, because he did that without her knowledge. So they’ll have to get over some hurdles,” co-showrunner Jed Whedon tells me. “But theirs is a forever love.” [x]