February 5, 1917 - Britain Introduces Bread Rationing
Pictured - A winning strategy.
Unrestricted submarine warfare was already taking its toll only days after beginning, sinking a score of Allied and neutral ships bringing supplies to Britain. The losses forced British authorities to realize how susceptible the island was to being cut off from food shipments. To meet the threat of the submarines, Britain introduced bread rationing, telling citizens to make do with less.
Initially, Britain had been loath to challenge the free market with rationing and restrictions. The rationing of February 1917 was voluntary; posters and officials encouraged the public to consume less vital wheat. The Board of Agriculture organized to show people how to consume in a more sustainable manner. Over the coming months, rationing would grow harsher. Bread became subsidized in September, and food queues became the norm by the end of the year. In the winter of 1917-1918, compulsory rationing took over.
A clump of soil from a heavily tilled and cropped field was dropped into a wire mesh basket at the top of a glass cylinder filled with water. At the same time, a clump of soil from a pasture that grew a variety of plants and grasses and hadn’t been disturbed for years was dropped into another wire mesh basket in an identical glass cylinder. The tilled soil–similar to the dry, brown soil on Cobb’s farm—dissolved in water like dust. The soil from the pasture stayed together in a clump, keeping its structure and soaking up the water like a sponge. Cobb realized he wasn’t just seeing an agricultural scientist show off a chunk of soil: He was seeing a potential new philosophy of farming.
“By the end of that day I knew that I was supposed to stay on the farm and be part of that paradigm shift,” Cobb said. “It was that quick.”
The shift he’s talking about is a new trend in agriculture, one with implications from farm productivity to the environment to human health. For generations, soil has been treated almost as a backdrop — not much more than a medium for holding plants while fertilizer and herbicides help them grow. The result, over the years, has been poorer and drier topsoil that doesn’t hold on to nutrients or water. The impact of this degradation isn’t just on farmers, but extends to Americans’ health. Dust blowing off degraded fields leads to respiratory illness in rural areas; thousands of people are exposed to drinking water with levels of pesticides at levels that the Environmental Protection Agency has deemed to be of concern. The drinking water of more than 210 million Americans is polluted with nitrate, a key fertilizer chemical that has been linked to developmental problems in children and poses cancer risks in adults. And thanks to some modern farming techniques, soil degradation is releasing carbon—which becomes carbon dioxide, a potent greenhouse gas—instead of holding on to it. In fact, the United Nations considers soil degradation one of the central threats to human health in the coming decades for those very reasons.
Now, some farmers and soil scientists are realizing that for the health of both people and farms, the most important thing you can do is look at soil differently—seeing topsoil as a living thing itself, which can be tended and even improved. Good soil is alive with a host of delicate organisms, many of them microscopic, producing structure and nutrients. As long as they’re thriving, soil can better absorb and retain water and feed plants and control pests. But when they die off, because they’ve been churned up and exposed to the sun and air or smothered with chemicals, the soil gradually becomes little more than powdered minerals.
UNITED KINGDOM, Harrogate : A boy uses a mobile phone next to a resting
Lowther Shorthorn breed of cattle on the first day of the Great
Yorkshire Show near Harrogate, northern England on July 14, 2015. The
agricultural show, which was first held in 1838, showcases all aspects
of country life and is set to attract around 130,000 visitors over its
three days. AFP PHOTO / OLI SCARFF
There's a time when the truth is the truth and it needs to be said even at risk of being called crazy, alienated, or silenced.
The world is collapsing before our eyes and it’s becoming real fuckin apparent. We aren’t doomed but if we remain in the shadow of ignorance we might as well be. Not enough people are speaking out so I’m just gonna go right out and say what needs to be said.
1. #Israel is fucking evil and I’m not antiemetic. This country is committing a shit ton of human rights violations, and though no one is allowed to say it without getting attacked. Israel is exterminating the Palestinians and stealing their land! Not to mention all of their own people they persecute for speaking out against the state’s #tyranny! Fuck nationalism, fuck being a U.S. Ally at some point morality has to overtake patriotism.
2. The #banks are destroying the economies of all major governments! Stop getting loans, it’s all a scam… When someone is allowed to loan out money that doesn’t exist & they don’t own, yet are allowed to collect the full sum plus interest it’s fucking criminal! It destroys the #economy quite simply because negative numbers aren’t real! I have news for you, if your country is in billions/trillions of debt your country has no money and that negative figure is a measurement of how much the banks own your political structure.
3. #Climate change is a fucking sham and it’s scientifically provable! Their are a lot of religious crazies out their preaching about the lie of climate change which gives the movement a terrible stigma but if you look at the #science the primary factor affecting earth temperatures is sun activity, the earth was actually hotter during a period in the medieval era, yet no one considers that while measuring global temperatures. Carbon dioxide isn’t killing the planet, but all the plastics production, #radiation, and #deforestation is! It’s not raising temperatures, but it’s killing the organic nature of the planet that is our lifeblood. And the same people pushing the climate change agenda are the same ones polluting the environment with all of these artificial toxins! Free energy exists, it has been a well known fact since tesla came around and it’s being suppressed since because energy is one of the primary commodities used in our system of control!
4. The #war on terror is false war paraded as a movement for peace which has only left genocide in its wake! Even if Islamic extremists are killing people their death tally pales in comparison to the tally racked by governments trying to exterminate them, especially in terms of civilian casualties!
5. #Monsanto needs to fall because it is just as evil as the rest of the lot! Our food is being weaponized to sicken us and kill the environment! #GMO ’s can’t feed the world, they cost more money than conventional farming, their genetic code gets into the environment and degrades the surrounding ecosystem, and there are many scientific studies not funded by the current agricultural industry that show they have very harmful effects on all species including humans that consume them!
6. Sorry to burst your bubble America, but pharmaceuticals are causing a shit storm more health problems than they solve! Overdose on prescribed pharmaceuticals is rising as a major cause of death, and often once you pick up one #medication your loaded with several more to counteract the side effects of the previous!
7. The #News IS NOT NEWS! It’s another entertainment “program” that collaborates with it’s “competitors” to feed you the same twisted perception of “current events” that is often times ludicrous incorrect and absent of crucial information.
8. Gun control is a tiny issue which is getting too much attention because everyone including the faces behind #globalization are afraid of someone with a gun! The deaths caused by mass shootings are minuscule in comparison to all the other sources of mortality in our country! And they are blackmailing you into it with emotional bias because it’s sad when a child gets shot. I got more news for you, your government has killed many more children in the war on terror than all gunmen in the U.S. combined over the same duration!
9. Your beloved electronics corporations, Google, Apple, and all your favorite fashion lines use child #slavery to make their products. There’s no hope of leaving for people caught in these industrial factories, the work conditions they are subjected too are unsanitary, unsafe, and often result in horrific accidents and death.
10. The war on drugs is sham on multiple fronts to create conflict and bloodshed in the communities local to the drug trade and to prevent you from mentally breaking free from the system. Don’t get me wrong their are tons of drugs that will destroy your life, heroin and meth being a few off the top of my head, but ruining your life isn’t a criminal offense, and their are many psychoactive substances they don’t want you partaking in because they change the way you process information within your neural network that opens you up to different levels of reality.
11. In addition to 10, this reality isn’t all there is! This life you are experiencing only exists within 4% of the radiation spectrum that comprises the universe. You are #consciousness and everything beyond that is an illusory holographic projected created from your own internal processing of information. You only process 147 bits of the 2 billion bits of information around you at any given time! Consciousness and self #awareness didn’t just arise out of a world of dead matter and inanimate existence. Matter comes from consciousness(you), and the entire world is you! You aren’t allowed to know this because it’s a dangerous thing when the people you are trying to own and control realize that they and everyone essentially are God, and life is one big dream in which we are all together creating one magnificent picture!
12. Fuck the Rothschilds, fuck all of the private banking #monopolies, fuck big oil and big pharma, fuck fake politicians, this world is a mess and all we need to do is realize the government isn’t rule of law, we are, and these peoples are criminals!
13. It’s time to stop solving our problems with violence! Violence only leads to further violence, it’s a vicious cycle of vindication that never ceases and damages both parties involved. It’s time to #Love, Love Now! Stop fearing each other, we are all the same at the core. We are all one family, and yes there are some crazies but what family doesn’t have its crazies. It’s time to swallow our pride and move forward from all of our past feuds and focus on the real problems threatening us right now!
There I’ve said it, all in one go, please tell me I’m not the only one who feels this way.
any tips for making a new fantasy species?? :o thanks xoxo
Species. If the species belongs to a phylum that already exists (reptile, bird, etc.) you need to follow the rules for that phylum. Say your species is fish-like. I expect them to spend most of their lives in water and have gills and/or breathe air. They have fins and a tail. They probably have external egg fertilization. And so on. Unless you handwave a part of their evolution as “magic influenced it”.
Biome. You must consider where the species lives and how they’ve adapted for that environment. Antarctic birds with no other nutrition sources became penguins. Birds on the open plain lost their ability to fly and gained strong legs for running. You may use this Darwinian approach; alternately, your species could use magic that helps them survive. Either way, you must show how your species fits that part of the world.
Balance. New fantasy species tend to fall into two categories: predator and humanoid. In the former, the predator is plopped into the middle of an already balanced ecosystem and set loose on the deer, rabbits, and elk that the native wolves should be eating. In the latter, the humanoids are basically humans with pointy ears/dwarfism/green skin/other defining trait. The fix is easy: in the former, what threatens the predator/humanoid? Don’t tell me nothing; all animals have a weak and helpless stage. All animals can catch diseases. You must create safeguards to prevent a race from overrunning the globe. Races that are smart or tough enough to overstep safeguards (humans, rats, cockroaches, cane toads) should be a major problem to your world.
Variation. Did you know many animals have regional variations in coat/feather/scale color and size? Just like humans do? Wow. Your race will have a palette as well. They won’t all be white (damn you Tolkien elves). They’ll be whatever color they were made to be (magic) or whatever color fits best in their surroundings and/or attracts a mate (Darwinism).
Reproduction and Lifespan. How fast does your race reproduce? Cheat code: Short-lived species (like mice and cockroaches) reproduce faster than long-lived species (horses, humans). Exceptionally large species (rhinos, elephants) tend to live a long time as well as reproduce slowly. Also, if your race is a fast reproducer, it’s probably at the bottom of the food chain. If it’s not a staple prey animal, then it will overrun the world faster than tribbles on the Enterprise. If the prey animal reproduces too slowly, it’ll go extinct. Slow reproducers are usually intelligent (rhinos excepted) and virtually untouchable at maturity, by dint of size (whales) or intelligence (humans).
Societal response. My critique of many dragon-using fantasy books is that dragons fly, yet cultures still use castles with open courtyards, walkways, etc. You’d think they’d move underground or something. Dragons are still “unkillable”, despite humanity having several thousand years (usually) to figure out ways to kill them. And humans get damn creative when they need to ice something. Elves are magical, yet there aren’t human-run back-alley deals for powdered elf bone that guarantees more vigor during sex. Elves are magical, yet they prefer to sing flowers into shape than improving their agriculture or earning money improving others’ agriculture. You need to show your species interacting with others - positive and negative - instead of sealing it off in a vacuum.
We also need to get Arabian classes back to our Agricultural shows. This will give people a place to start with their showing. Maybe not a full roster of classes to start with. Start with few classes and when the entries are there expand rather than having a full “Arabian Ring” and having only one or two horses per class.
Organisers will need to commit to trying this as more than a one off. It will take time for momentum to build.
Of course if Ag show performances were needed as qualifiers there’d be no trouble filling classes but of course the local Arabian glitterati would not approve of that at all.