Reasons They Do That
A list of reasons why a character may do something:
- They’re selfless - They just can’t leave the kid that’s stuck despite the probability of them dying in the process of saving that kid.
- They’re selfish - They just can’t do something because they’re too focused on what may happen to themselves
- Their past - A dog once bit them when they were a young child and now they’re wary of dogs (doesn’t matter if they provoked the dog, bc people remember things like that)
- They know way too much - As in, they might know the statistical probability of car crashes and therefor do not drive or get into cars (though of course, this isn’t the only example of this)
- They’re naive/gullible - The character doesn’t see that clearly this person is against them because they just don’t pay attention enough/don’t see the warning signs.
- Conspiracies - They just went way too deep into youtube and found way too many conspiracy videos and now everything is just a conspiracy. (Perfect example: Hodgins from Bones)
All of these could work for or against your character. Whether it be the secondary character that is too selfless and has to go back and save the main character, or the “villain” is just way to naive to see that your hero is taking apart their plan. Or maybe the MC got way into conspiracies and it led them to real conspiracies in the bad government they live in.
These are only some of the possibilities that I could think of, people are free to add to this list :)