Berlin was a liberal hotbed of homosexuality and a mecca for cross dressers and transsexuals
The city’s liberal years - before the rise of Hitler - are detailed in a new book, Gay Berlin.
- An uninhibited urban gay sexual scene flourished in Berlin, Germany in the wake of World War One
- The science of ‘transsexuality’ was founded at the Institute of Sexual Science where the first male-to-female surgery was performed
- German scientists concluded that same-sex love was a natural, inborn characteristic and not merely the perversion of a ‘normal’ sexual tendency
- There were 30 separate homosexual periodicals
- Cross-dressers found dressmakers who tailored for large sizes and singles searching for gay love could place ads
In the photos:
Top: Hansi Sturm was the winner of the Miss Eldorado transvestite pageant in 1926.
Middle: Transvestites having drinks in the Eldorado club that was not hidden away but celebrated in the golden age of the gay bar and club scene in Weimar Berlin. It was a hot spot for high society and partying until dawn was the norm.
Bottom: Transvestite prostitutes sitting on the laps of gay men in the popular Berlin gay bar Marienkasin.