As a writing choice, I find it unnecessary. Not everyone gets to say goodbye to dying loved ones, or get "closure". Regina got it with Daniel; why does she need to get a ghost or dream message from RH? She has already grown from that stage imo
from a writing/storytelling/careening from plot point to plot point perspective, what happened is:
- “we killed H00-1 for drama but everybody knows he’s coming back, so now we have to find a way to make Hades’s threat actually threatening, so oblivion!”
- “oh shit we are out of time gotta move along and bring H00-1 back, sucks to be you H00-2!”
- so his death, and Regina’s pain (which, girl, respect yourself, but-) got shoved out of the way.
- that was shitty for people who liked 0Q (which, girl, respect yourself, but-) and they complained a lot, and
- (this is important) their complaints were considered valid by whoever adjudicates those things (because in volume they can’t possibly be greater than other complaints),
- so they are doing something about it.
but what it looks like from the perspective of weary fans is:
- Regina’s whole story has been swallowed by H00-2 since 3B, to her detriment as a character
- this season is supposed to be about her, but last season was supposed to be about Emma and nobody trusts them
- and, oh look, let’s bring back the dude who treated her like shit because god for-fucking-bid she not be a white dude’s property for more than a couple of episodes