Sick of all the Minions? Go watch Dreamwork’s Megamind
It’s one of my FAVORITE dreamworks movies actually that I’ve never really talked about before somehow??? And it’s sad bc it came out the same year as Despicable Me and thus got overshadowed, which is too bad because it has so much cool stuff to offer this is just the things that immediately come to mind
- Everybody loves The Incredibles because of how it cleverly deconstructed superhero tropes, but Megamind also does it REALLY WELL from a super Villain perspective! Megamind and Metroman play up Generic Superhero tropes to their laughable conclusion, complete with the overly witty and puntastic banter that turn the Superhero/Supervillain conflict into the kind of ridiculous staged performance that it really is.
- Does away with the black and white Hero/Villain dichotomy completely, shows that having superpowers does NOTHING FOR YOU if you’re just a selfish jerk
- MAIN GIRL ROXANNE RITCHIE AAAAHHH while originally seems set up to be the “damsel in distress” sort of character she ends up being super competent and observant and sees through everyone’s crap and is also a kind and supportive person I love her ok
- Pretty much explains Privilege in a nutshell within the first 3 minutes
- There is only ONE Minion, and he’s not a disgusting yellow corn kernel creature but a thoughtful and supportive friend and side character.
- Also the Brainbots are just 100x more badass and cute than aforementioned disgusting yellow corn kernel creatures
- Overall the entire story is just super heartwarming without having to resort to forced cuteness and everyone’s character development is really interesting and if you’re complaining about that Minions movie I advise u to rent/borrow Megamind and just feel better about yourselves ok?
btw here are the brainbots if you ever get tired of Minions look at these ok
(My personal reason 8 is that Megamind is just a modern retelling of Cyrano de Bergerac and if anyone wants me to elaborate I most certainly can and will eheheheheh)