And here we are with our first blog recipe!! And how fitting it should be from the most recent episode to date! I figured this would be an excellent recipe to start most of you off with. Super simple and refreshing, and it keeps in the Ricky Fitness spirit with no sugar but plenty of healthy goodness added in!
Ricky’s Sugar-Free Lemonade!
- 1 Quart Water
- 4 Green Tea bags
- 4 Tablespoons fresh organic honey
- ½ Cup Lemon juice
- 1/3 of a fresh Cucumber (if it's organic, even better!)
- Water (for ice)
- An ice cube tray or any sort of silicone mold for ice cubes
1. Slice your cucumber thinly, and cut each slice into a half-moon. Stick both sides into an ice cube mold and cover with cold water. Set in the freezer until frozen, at least two hours.
2. In the meantime, bring your quart of water to a boil. Once it’s boiling, add your green tea bags and the honey. Turn off the burner and leave the bags to seep for about 10 minutes. The honey should be dissolved by the time you take out the tea bags. (WARNING: Do not press on the tea bags to speed it up. This will cause the drink to become bitter.)
3. Place the tea water into a quart pitcher and stir in your lemon juice. If it’s not tart enough to your liking, add another ¼ cup of juice. Set the mixture in the fridge to cool down (you can add ice if you want to speed it up)
4. Serve in a glass with two of the cucumber ice cubes and you’re all set to go! The lemonade will last up to a month.
Organic honey is an excellent substitute for sugar, with not only that great golden sweetness, but also packed full of different vitamins and minerals. Green tea is a great antioxidant and boosts metabolism, which helps with weight loss and makes for a great after-workout drink. Cucumbers act as an excellent pick-me-up with B vitamins and minerals, and also act as a great defense against dehydration!
The drink itself has a surprisingly subtle sweet flavor, and the green tea and lemon go very well together. Of course, if you’re at all like the MC Bat Commander you can always add a little sugar or honey to give it an extra sweet boost, but this is the perfect drink for enthusiasts of fitness!