That whole “Bitty never jokes about babysitting” thing absolutely killed me like, can you imagine little southern gay Eric R. Bittle who has internalized the idea that gay men can’t have kids, and even though he’s always wanted a whole mess of children, has just kind of resigned himself to being Uncle Eric to all his friend’s kids. And then one day while he’s in the kitchen baking, Jack comes in and sits down at the counter with a notebook and says, “Okay I know you said you don’t want me to even think about proposing until after you’ve graduated, but I’d really like to start thinking about the house we’re going to buy, so I can set aside some of my bonus for the downpayment”. And Bitty gets halfway through an internal ‘this boy’ when Jack keeps going, frowning down at his notebook. “It really depends on how many kids we want, I guess. For how much space we need.”
And Jack’s sitting there with his serious face on, thinking about how they definitely have to make sure the backyard has enough room for a homemade rink, totally unaware that he has just murdered his boyfriend.
You decide to attack artists, developers, creators, and authors because you don’t like what they produce, because of the canonized ships/or the fact they like ships you don’t, because of their gender, their sexuality, and for the main fact you can’t tell the difference between fiction and reality, etc..:
You are a bully, you are an abuser, you are not a good person, something is seriously wrong with you.
You attack people over fictional material. You care more about fictional human beings than real human beings. You absolutely sicken me.
As I’ve mentioned before, I was raised in a strict Christian household. It was full of love, but it was also a house that didn’t like Ellen DeGeneres or Rosie O'Donnell simply because they were gay. A house that would turn off the tv when the lesbian episodes of Friends were on (while I ran to the tv in my room and pressed “mute” to see it). One that would roll their eyes at the idea of gay marriage. Parents that meant well and just went by what they were taught, wanting us to grow up with something to believe. I remember sobbing in high school, thinking they would absolutely kill me. Things slowly started changing when I was 16+.
My Mom was the one who asked if I was gay. She was my biggest supporter, my secret keeper, and the one I told everything to. My Dad? He went from not wanting me to come out, to protect me, to telling everyone he knows if they ask if I’m “dating any new guys” - because that’s simply who I am. In his words “why hide it? Who cares?”. My Mom came to me about Carol on her own, wanting to watch it to see the love story. When gay marriage was legalized, I called my Mom sobbing. She was sobbing with me, after yelling “YES! THANK GOD” in front of all of her friends.
After being raised to hate who I was, not even allowing it to be an option - to now, my Mother texting me just now saying “Do you have any more Human Rights Campaign stickers like you have on your car? I want one on mine”
Change is a beautiful thing. Believe in it and believe in people.
This was such a struggle to choose, I have manyyyy 8th year fics that I love, but these are my top ten. Sort of. Except not entirely in order.
My favorite 8th year fics
• Right Hand Red by lumosed_quill (73k) ‘Harry felt Malfoy’s breath on his lips as they came together over the bottle, hands firmly planted on the floor as though they each needed their familiar soil, refusing to cross into enemy territory. Except that Malfoy no longer felt like his enemy. Malfoy felt inevitable.’ (Aghh this fic is a classic, so well-written, the budding relationship between Drarry so intense and passionate, so many FEELS. I love it all.)
• Good to Me (And I’d Be So Good to You) by AWickedMemory (8.9k)
Everyone returns to Hogwarts after the war, but nothing is quite the same. Harry’s groupies are creepier than ever, Ron and Hermione are snogging all over the place, and the once-proud Draco is shuffling around like a kicked puppy. But that’s okay: Harry’s got a plan.
(The writing style in this is absolutely brilliant, it kills me. Harry is so ridiculously on point in this with his awkward dorky OBLIVIOUS self. I can’tttt.)
• The Standard You Walk Pastby bafflinghaze (46k) On returning to Hogwarts for their Eighth Year, Headmistress McGonagall decided to room Draco Malfoy and Harry Potter together. She may have hoped for a leading example of house unity; the other students fully expected insults and fights. But nothing happened. That was, until Harry sleepwalked into Draco’s bed. (One of my long-time faves! Harry and Draco are sweet and hilarious together in this but my heart breaks for Draco’s situation, so fluff and angst in spades!)
• And Then Comes a Mist and a Weeping Rain by Faith Wood (21k) It always rains for Draco Malfoy. Metaphorically. And literally. Ever since he had accidentally Conjured a cloud. A cloud that’s ever so cross. (I LOVE THIS FIC. It’s so cute, funny, and fluffy, but also sad, because a sad Draco always hurts. Harry is especially lovely, and yesss, kisses!)
• In Plain Sight by oldenuf2nb (37k)
Draco Malfoy had stopped believing his wishes would be granted long ago. He could perhaps be forgiven for being startled, then, when one of them came true. (All of this makes me want to scream because it’s heartbreaking and hurts so bad, but then the Drarry in is the sweetest thing ever, so it’s worth it.)
• Good Company by Greenflares (8.2k) With Hermione and Ron always together, Harry’s return to Hogwarts to complete his education isn’t exactly fun. Somehow, it’s his unlikely friendship with Malfoy that keeps him sane. (This fic is hilarious, Draco is melodramatic in that way I love for him, and they are so so sweet together. I just love this whole thing, it makes me smile.)
• The Owl Who Came For Christmas by dracogotgame (17k) Draco has a debt to pay off, no matter what Potter thinks. And he has a Very Good Idea to go along with it. Things don’t go as planned. (Harry is a total sweetheart who still can’t name things to save his life, owl!Draco is too precious, the writing is great, and all the fluffffff yessss.)
• Hey, Potter by SunseticMonster (16k)
Harry returns to Hogwarts for his 8th year, determined not to let Malfoy get to him. But when the snarky teasing starts up again, Harry finds that returning the jibes with compliments has a far more interesting outcome.
(How amazing is this idea?? Draco’s reactions in this are absolutely adorable, his shy smile is my everything, and aghhh I love this one a lot.)
• The LipLock Jinx by Cassis Luna (21k)
It’s a jinx that renders the victim mute, unless he/she serves the purpose of the jinx and kisses the person that they desire. It’s just Harry’s luck that he’s in love with Draco. (An old favorite! This one is really well-written, I love Drarry’s slow friendship in this one and the note-writing… and then there’s that scene. READ IT.)
• Talk to Me by Sara’s Girl (15k) When the usual channels of communication are shut down, the most surprising people can find a way in. A strange little love story. (All the feels! Oh, I love this one. The writing is oh-so-good, the love story so sweet, so precious, and indeed quite different. I want more more more!)
Theresa ‘strong and stable’ May: “People talk about the sort of Brexit that there is going to be - is it hard, soft, is it grey, white - actually, we want a red white and blue Brexit. That is the right Brexit for the United Kingdom.”
John Oliver and every rational person left on Earth: “But what does that mean? You’re heading into a negotiation that will set the course for Britain for generations, and you’re naming colours on the fucking flag? Forget running through fields of wheat - that must be the most ridiculous thing you’ve ever said. And actually, you know what - I apologize to that guy from before - I said there was literally no worse way to discuss this than with cheese, but I was not counting on Thatcher in the Rye here answering a policy question with a fucking colour scheme.”