So I'm writing something that's kind of sci-fi but also very Avatar the Last Airbender style and I have three main characters from three different backgrounds and origins but they were all born in the same supernatural way. My main problem is figuring out how they all meet. Do you have any prompts of characters A, B, and C meeting under unconventional circumstances?
That sounds very interesting. I love fantasy/supernatural/sci-fi stuff, and I would be lying if I said I wasn’t a huge fan of Avatar the Last Bender. So you’ve got me intrigued. So there are many different ways you could have them meet, in fact your options are limitless:
1. You can have them all meet in a very common place like a mall or a classroom. Take the classic ‘breakfast club’ situation and place them all somewhere they are forced to acknowledge and bond with each other.
2. Literally running into each other is always a fun one. If someone or something is trying to capture all of them, for reasons unknown, and they end up bumping into each other, they most likely would choose to team up, if they realize they are all being chased.
3. Saving someones but. This one can be either very funny or very serious, and usually helps display personalities right away. When one or two characters are in an obviously bad spot, and the others save them.
4. Prophecy. If you’re working with fantasy or supernatural realms, the ideas of fate or prophecy pushing the characters together is always an option. It doesn’t always have to be a spoken or written word like the typical prophecy, it can also be an unseen or maybe even seen force that pushes the characters together. For example, all of them being chased to the same location by random chance by something that might not really be there. There’s also visions or dream like prophecy in which the character sees the other before they actually meet (Since you’ve already mentioned ATLA. Think the swamp episode, where Aang see’s Toph, only to realize later she is meant to be his earth bending teacher.)
And here are a couple prompts for these kinds of situations:
1. A:“Why am I here again.”
B: “The same reason we are all here.”
A or C: “This wouldn’t be so bad if it wasn’t the two of you who were in here with me.”
2. A:“Watch where you’re going!”
B: “Me?! Why you weren’t paying any attention either!”
C: “None of us were paying attention! But if you start paying attention now, you’d realize we should probably keep running!”
3. A: “You know, your really rude for someone who almost died right now.”
B: “They are right, a thank you would be nice. After all, we did save you.”
C:”Yeah well, I am not that safe yet, I’ll thank you when you get me away from this place.”
4.A:”Do I know you?”
B:”No, I think I would remember someone as annoying as you.”
C:”No, No he’s right. We’ve definitely met before. I recognize you. I recognize both of you..”
5.A: “What are you doing in my house?!”
B: “This is your house? I must say it’s very lovely, you have a great eye for furniture.”
A:”Oh, well th-Thats not the point! What are you doing here!?”
C:”Were hiding! Now if you two dont shut up, we’ll be caught and we’ll all be in massive trouble!”
I really hope this helps and I wish you luck with your writing! If you have any other questions, or something isn’t clear, please feel free to contact me!