Yet another thing that Fallout 4 dicked over are the Norwegian ghouls of the FMS Northern Star.
From what little we know they were just a crew of a Norwegian cargo ship that washed up on the coast because of the Great War. They don’t seem to know any English and apparently have never left the boat, making them a group of scared and isolated people who might think they’re the only ghouls in the world. When you explore the ship they yell at you to leave them alone.
So naturally they attack on sight and you just murder them all. There’s no warning about this and you can do nothing to prevent it. Yaaay. *slow clap*
How about we actually do some actual fucking writing?
- If you bring Curie or Codsworth along they speak perfect Norwegian (cuz they’re robots) and the crew is overjoyed that someone understands them. Maybe this can lead to a quest to restore a robot with a translator module so they can communicate with the outside world.
- If your SS has high intelligence, or has Danse with them (because the BOS would study pre-war military and civilian code systems), they can use something like ship flag communication to at least gain their trust.
- If you bring Hancock they’ll talk about how there’s other like them out there. He’ll mark Goodneighbor on a map and tell them they’re welcome. You might spot one of the ghouls there after you’ve done this.
- Piper will remark that she would love an interview if she could understand a word they said.
- If they see Preston they’ll recognize his Minuteman uniform and express their condolences about Quincy.
- They know some weird shit is going down at Warwick Farmstead; they keep an eye on everything and they’ve seen ‘odd people’ skulking around. If you’ve done Institute quests about Warwick they will be suspicious of you. The Institute may require you to wipe them out because they don’t want observers monitoring their activities.
- They were the ones who tried experiments with the anti-mirelurk pulse signal on Spectacle Island until raiders fucked it all up. Once you re-activate the signal and prove it works they’ll share the technology on the condition that you kill the raiders at Poseidon Energy who launched the attack.
Look that wasn’t too hard. Isn’t that nicer than another bunch of mindless raiders?