before i start off with this i wanna say that i’m basing this off my own experiences and while i’ll try to be generic, each region in italy has a very different culture, and as much as we’d like to think there are no differences, there are…several aspects that differ between the north and the south.
here we go:
- her mom is the italian one in the family, but was born and raised in the states. her grandparents were most likely immigrants who, if voltron was set during the present time, would have probably moved out approximately post ww2
- neither pidge nor matt have learned to speak italian properly, and only know pretty basic stuff like ciao, buongiorno, buonanotte etc
- has never been to italy except for a small vacation the whole family took when she was a baby, probably to rome and they have 25 photos of them posing in front of the colosseum all around their house
- huge football fans. bc football “calcio” if you will, is the true religion in italy. they root very hard everytime the italian football team plays. it’s a huge occasion to reunite with the rest of the family (and be super loud in true italian style) all wearing the player’s jears obviously. you’re not italian if you don’t sing POPOPOPOPOPO after every goal. (and the national anthem at the beginning of every match)
- italian families are usually huge and very respectful of certain traditions™. pidge was definitely named after her grandma or some other relative. it’s pretty typical to do that. it can cause…family wars trust me i know some shit
- hand gestures. ye…we have to go there. as stereotypical as it is, it is indeed true that italian use them a lot. especially ….if we’re angry (we cuss a lot too but shh)
- always has to kiss and greet every single relative during families reunions. if she doesn’t, they’d hold a grudge against her forever
- lunches especially during festivities such as xmas, last entire days. Can’t leave the goddamn table. but no matter what her grandma will always tell her she doesn’t think she’s eaten enough
- “i didn’t know what to buy for you here take the money” - grandma (only in an envelope though, it has to look official)
- knows perfectly most of the food that are passed off as “”“italian”“” in the us are not actually italian. (this shocks hunk a little. but no worries pidge is there to explain all about the real italian cuisine)
- is able to recognize another italian from the way they act….or drive
- her parents drink coffee after every meal. or….everytime someone comes for a visit. coffee is the way. She’s always liked it (the italian coffee™) but has never quite taken the habit of drinking it in the morning, and after lunch. unlike matt. he made shiro tried it once, but it was too strong for him
- secretely knows every popular italian song™
- the team: *does some fuckshit*
pidge: no maria io esco
on wednesday night i had a couple of health scares that prompted me to go out of town to several different appointments all day thursday, and yesterday – friday – was spent taking blood tests and the like and way too much shit that i don’t want to get into, lol. basically this week was spent more in pain and a little bit of fear and panic, i won’t lie, so i wasn’t able to write as much as i wanted to. therefore, and i’m sure you all figured this out already, no chapter was uploaded friday.
i don’t get all of my test results back until wednesday, so for this weekend i’m going to try and keep my mind off everything worrying me and try to finish where i left off. i’m sorry i couldn’t deliver the chapter to you guys when i’d told you it might be up; sometimes life sucks, lol
i did try to write today (or, friday, it’s past midnight), but my head is not all here right now. still, those boys haven’t left me alone entirely, so some scenes have been written on my phone while out of town and whenever i felt the need to try and get away from reality for the moment. so there’s not many scenes left, but scenes are long in this fic, as you know, so there are several thousands of words. honestly, i promise you, i am going to try and push past the bad stuff this weekend to get this out to you asap – i’d really like to, anyway. real life is not somewhere i wanna station myself atm.
this is also why i have been in no contact w anyone via messenger or any other app. sorry, my head has not been in it at all this week. i love you all and i promise i’m going to get back to it. i just need to be either in the clear or just sure of things by wednesday and then maybe i’ll have more time to adapt to whatever situation’s being thrown at me.
today and tomorrow will hopefully be spent blasting music in my ears to drown out any thoughts that aren’t tmtts. i miss my boys, and trust me, i read your messages and your comments on the fic — i know you miss them, too. if i could just magically conjure up the rest of the fic in an hour for you guys, i would. i fucking love them so much. and i fucking love you guys so much.
trust me. it’s your support and your kindness that hasn’t allowed me to let this story go. were it nothing but petty entitlement — and i have encountered that in many other fandoms — i’d have probably shut it down already. but instead you guys are kind and patient and lovely, and that’s the kind of thing that keeps an author going and keeps an author wanting to give you more. so thank you so much, from the bottom of my heart.
because of your patience and your love and support, here are certain things i can tell you about the chapter to hold you over until hopefully after this weekend. i’ve put them under a read more, in case you don’t want to spoil yourself until the chapter is posted!
Hello! So, I’ve researched some Christmas music in different languages. Some have a lot, like, too much so I narrowed it down, and some don’t have that much, but I found the best I could. Some are similar songs to what English speakers and Americans are used to such as “jingle bells” etc etc, while others are their own original seasonal songs. If it’s similar or the same song as traditional songs in English, I’ll put them in the parenthesis. So anyway, enjoy and happy holidays!