Just finished pulling up highlights, and bringing the drawing back in from underneath all the washes. I used white charcoal, titanium white Pan Pastel for the orb/egg, and Prismacolor Verithin pencils for the rest of the details. The bottom shot is a good, clean scan of everything all together so far. My phone camera just couldn’t pick up on some of this well enough, and it was time to untape it anyway.
I’m going to be using Photoshop to bring the rest of this to a finish. I did a few tests with the matte medium idea, but I think the idea needs a lot of work before I can take it to something like this. Rather than unifying, the layers had a deadening effect. And there wasn’t really a way to stop the smudging of the underlayers, either.
That’s okay though! I’m feeling pretty good about where this is going, it’s been really touch and go from the start.