Anyone who has been following my build has seen suspension, brakes, wheels, tires, cage, weight savings.. But no power. You may be wondering why. It was all because I wanted safety and reliability first and to get out to the track.
Well, I made it to the track for the first time today. After getting the day off of work, driving out for two hours, it started to rain. No matter! Rain driving is all about learning how to be smooth.
Unless, of course, after three laps you tear a hole in your radiator hose.
A lovely chap named Alex hooked me up with repair tape and we fixed it up. I owe him a lot. He’s currently watching over my car while it sits stranded at the track.
A few more gentle laps later (video to come), the engine froze on the back straight. I lost power, clutched in and it just wasn’t having any more. I’ll have to get the engine out and tear it apart to find the exact cause.
I learned a lesson in reliability today. Even if you build something up, it isn’t always enough if the parts you’re using aren’t up to the task.
Follow my build in the coming months to see what I decide to do for a new engine. I have a lot of options and your input will be taken into account.