This is a list I compiled based on movies I’ve either already watched or plan on watching in the near future. Please feel free to add any suggestions, recommendations, or requests for anything you’d like to see more of on this blog.
Definitely Christmas!! Ahh I just love everything about it - the music and the colour scheme and the food and the lore and just the whole aesthetic of it, plus it’s the only holiday that Australia really does Properly so it’s the only time I really get to walk down the street in the holiday season and feel the love and joy and excitement of the whole city gearing up for it!! Plus it’s always so nice and warm in November and the Jacarandas bloom and it’s just really good looking forward to Christmas ahh~~~ n.n
2. 3 favorite fictional characters?
Haha oh man… Three is just way too hard;;; But I’ll pick three that appear off the top of my head!
* Leslie Knope from Parks and Recreation. Ugh, I just love her character so so much - how she gets to be so interesting and weird and likeable but also ridiculous and very flawed but also so admirable, she’s just so complex and wonderful and such a good role model for young women without being unrelatable, and just her optimism and positivity really helped me out when I needed it and has really kind of influenced my path by showing me how much I loved the idea of being able to work in government and keep striving for a better future!!
* Yuna from Final Fantasy X. Ahhh I just loved her so so much as a kid, and it’s one of those things where in retrospect I can understand what archetype her character has and how she’s not the most unique but she’s just so important to me, how strong and dedicated she is despite being so quiet and small and sensitive, how her kindness and her love are actually the source of her strength in so many ways, and yet also the complex interaction between her putting on a mask of cheerfulness so other people won’t worry, yet how that mask is really the person she wants to be and it does help her to become that person - I could really relate to that weird sense of distance and trying to be something but that also being you - I just really love her!!
* Sara from A Little Lily Princess. And LIKE yes this is an adaptation and I’m reading the original as well but I just love this adaptation so so much, it perfectly captures the feelings and themes of the original while expanding on them and giving even more depth, and Sara just… also encapsulates so much about the person I am and want to be - this struggle to be kind at all times, and not always succeeding, and just generally aiming for altruism despite being privileged in a lot of ways, and feeling insecure in some ways despite that, and how so so much of her character is all about stories and imagination and how having that fantasy world of hers enabled her to keep in mind what she wanted to be and stay strong and ah I just relate to her a lot as well!!!
3. How many languages can you use? Which one(s)?
I can use English fluently and Japanese… kind of intermediate-ly??? I studied it in high school and then for a semester in Uni and then I’ve kind of continuously been going in and out of studying it personally ever since, so my level is kinda… indistinguishable. I’d love to get back into Wanikani once I have the money though!
I also learned Italian in primary school but I remember very little of that other than, like, the days of the week, plus ‘io mi piace il gatto e il gilatto a la viola’ which I THINK means ‘I like cats and ice cream and purple’ (though proabably with some mistakes), just as a nice little time capsule of my primary school self. :P
4. If you could only have (1) books, (2) video games, or (3) tv/movies for the rest of your life, which would you choose?
Video games, definitely - wayy more replay value than anything else. And for them… My first instinct is, The Sims 3? (hard to choose between it and 2, but I just can’t go back after some of the QOL improvements 3 made) because there’s just so many things you can do in The Sims, and also Final Fantasy X, because it’s one of my faaavourite games of all time and I’ve replayed it a lot and I could get to finally do all those single character or NSG challenges I’ve always wanted to do!
5. Do you have any sideblogs?
Yep! I have @adhd-ahamilton for my history stuff, @queeralexcyprin for my Lovestruck and general mobile dating game stuff, and also a private stimblog because I decided very quickly that I did not want to get involved in the ridiculous amount of #drama stimblogs get into, plus I wanted to be able to make stimboards but couldn’t be bothered to source anything so I just make them for myself. :P Plus just one or two extra blogs where I reblog things I wanna keep and to check out themes and stuff.
6. If you could choose any skill to become an instant expert at, what would it be?
Oh man… so many ideas coming to me all of a sudden. My first thought was Japanese, because it’s really useful to have a second language and I’d love to do a lot of jobs and things involving languages and I’d get to appreciate so many more stories to boot!! But THEN I thought ‘writing’ because… well, I like writing, so why not be an expert in it? And then I could provide beautifully-written fic for my fellow history fans and anyone in my fandoms, which’d be great! And I wouldn’t mind being an author, too~ And then I thought that actually I should really pick something that could be useful in the job market… but the problem is that I wouldn’t have any actual qualifications for it, so it’d be hard to prove… so my main issue might not actually be fixed… n.n;;;
7. Your favorite dessert/candy?
Hmmmmmm I really love creme brulee and chocolate souffle because ahh such nice textures and tastes~~ And in general I’m just super into flavours of: peanut butter, ginger, and vanilla right now, plus hazelnut and salted caramel. I guess my favourite like, sweet or chocolate or whatever would probably be peanut butter cups, even though they’re kinda hard to get here - why do Australians not appreciate peanut butter more?? But I also have always really loved Kinder Bueno since forever - hazelnut always used to be my favourite flavour and they are just so nice and crunchy and creamy~
8. Would you rather spend a day walking in a forest or a city?
Hmmm depends!! I rather like walking around Adelaide, because it is so varied - there’s a lot of greenery (sometimes while walking on one trail you could almost forget you were in a city if not for the distant car sounds), as well as both really nice new architecture and really cool old 19th century archetecture too! But I also like the feeling of being alone in a forest, just hearing the nature sounds and nothing else… So it depends on my mood that day I guess!
9. Have you ever performed onstage? If so, what did you perform?
Yep, a few times! Kinda surprisingly but I was into drama a bit in high school - my friends and I had a small drama group where we performed small plays just for our parents basically. It was fun! I was also in the school musical just as an extra when I was in like year 6, and I played the flute for a year so I might’ve performed that at some time IDK…
10. If you could have any pet at all, and money/space/tamability/etc. were not a factor, what would you choose?
This question is always too hard because there are just too many I want!!! ahhh One more reasonable answer is that I really love jellyfish so I was really excited when I heard there were personal jellyfish tanks you could buy but I looked it up and apparently it’s generally not good for them unless you’re an experienced fish keeper and have a really big aquarium, so that was out;; I’d love to try having a rabbit again - I had one as a kid but we didn’t handle it enough as a youngster so it got really aggressive and independent when it got older. And umm foxes are so cute!! I’d love to have a big fluffy one~~ Not to mention all of my fave pokemon that I’d love to own IRL which would be a very long list on its own lmao so I can’t answer!!
11. One good thing that happened today?
We got some nice, different bread to eat for breakfast!! I really love really good well-made bread, and it’s always a pleasure to wake up on a Saturday morning and have some tea and nice fresh bread, and the bread we got this time we’ve never got before and it’s a really nice sourdough so I really enjoyed it!! (Even if it’s annoyingly difficult to slice lol)
My questions are:
Is there a fictional character or celebrity who has influenced your life in some way?
Name three things that make you feel nostalgic.
Do you tend to like a certain kind of fictional character? What are they like?
What’s at least one thing you’re looking forward to right now?
A thing you learned recently that’s really cool?
What websites/apps/blogs etc. do you check every day?
If money/society etc. were no restrictions, how would you dress on an everyday basis?
If you wanna just sit back and relax, what do you do?
Have any good recs for a game/blog/etc. that people might enjoy that doesn’t cast any money?
10 Films Too Black For Netflix: Final Images of Blaxploitation
Most of these films you won’t even find on Netflix (with the exception of Jackie Brown) and that’s because, well, they’re a little too black. Denzel Washington is about as black as Netflix is willing to get. You whities might find this hard to believe after watching Training Day but Denzel isn’t the blackest man alive and neither is Samuel L. Jackson. Now what do I mean by “black”? Well, since no one’s skin color is actually black, nor is it a country, black is more of an attitude, black is soul, it’s swagger, it’s rhythm, it’s everything white people wish they had. The films I’ve compiled for you are next level black and will most likely make a lot of white folks uncomfortable. The only advice I can give to that is someone else’s advice:
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Ya dig! … Above are the final images of the most influential and controversial blaxploitation films of the 70s, 80s and late 90s.
Sixth Grave On the Edge: 3.75/5 I loved seeing Reyes with Charley and the way they interacted was beyond adorable! The storyline started to pick up in this installment!
Seventh Grave and No Body: 4/5 The characters are growing and I loved seeing that in this book!
Eighth Grave After Dark: 4/5 THAT ENDING KILLED ME!
Paper Girls: 5/5 WOW WHAT EVEN IS LIFE THIS IS AMAZING GIVE ME MORE
Ms. Marvel vol 1, No Normal: 3/5 Not what I was expecting but I still enjoyed it.
Sex Criminals vol 3, Three the Hard Way: 4/5 This is one of my favorite comics and everyone should read it!
So, 10 days and I read 3 novels and 3 graphic novels. I am immensely proud of myself! I read a total of 1,417 pages! I’ve read more in this month alone than I read all of last year! Thank you to @books-and-cookies for organizing this! I had a blast!
— American actor and former professional football player. Film credits include Three the Hard Way (1974), Take a Hard Ride (1975), One Down, Two to Go (1982). Co-starred with George Clooney and Quentin Tarantino in From Dusk til Dawn.
I know you have done a lot for me, but I don’t think I’ll ever be able to forgive you for letting me live nearly 23 years without knowing that there’s a movie out there starring Jim Brown, Jim Kelly and Fred Williamson.
And now I hear that there’s also a western starring those three and Lee Van Cleef. So what I’m saying is you better have a really fucking good explanation for keeping this shit under wraps for so long.