Multi-chapter fics need love
The more chapters a fic has, the MORE YOU NEED TO COMMENT.
I’m looking at all these fics with lots of kudos, lots of hits,
lots of subscriptions I’m sure, and then *crickets* at an update. IF THERE ARE SAY 100 PEOPLE SUBSCRIBED, WHY ARE THERE ONLY TWO COMMENTS?? Let’s say only 10% of the people still read it. That’s ten comments that should be there.
Too shy or worried or blah to comment? Here’s some copypastes for you:
- I love this chapter so much.
- I love reading this fic.
- I think about this fic a lot.
- It makes me happy when I see there is an update.
- This story is so intense and well-written.
- I’ve been following since the beginning and it’s better than I imagined.
- I’ve fallen in love with your characterization.
- *quote your favorite part* This is my favorite!
- This fic made me think about a lot of things.
- I’ve learned some things about myself reading this story.
- This is my favorite fic of all time.
- I reread this all the time.
- *incoherent screaming*
- This is absolutely delectable and I love it.
Use one! Use all! There are endless possibilities! Don’t feel pressured to write an essay. Just say that you are still here and you’re happy!
It would be preferable for you not to say
- Can’t wait for the next chapter!
It’s ok when combined with other things, but if that’s all you say…..? We’re looking for love on the hard work we just posted
When you post your first chapter/oneshot, you worry: “Is anyone reading it? Does anyone like it? PLease someone, anyone!?” and you wait for people to come into your space.
When you post your Xth chapter, you already know that people are reading it, there’s already a crowd gathered. Even if it’s only a few people, you know that they are there. “Does no one like it? What’s going on? What happened? Everyone loved it before?? I thought?? Did I mess up?”
NOT COMMENTING ON A MULTI-CHAPTER FIC IS LIKE GOING TO THE THEATRE AND NOT CLAPPING BETWEEN SCENES. LIKE THERE IS NO APPLAUSE AT INTERMISSION.
Love your author. They need it.