Tagged by @definegodliness to share 10 random things about me, and tag a few peeps to do the same. Here goes…
1) I don’t enjoy talking about myself. Weirdly, especially amongst people I know, and in social situations. A few of the questions I dread are “how are you?” And “what’s been happening?” … I’ll tell people things if it feels organic and comes up naturally, and I’m comfortable with them.. But generally I try and dodge answering that stuff with vague responses. I’m much more comfortable listening to people talk, it’s interesting, and there’s no pressure.
2) I have a bit of an obsession with reading/collecting Stephen King books, I don’t have them all, and I haven’t read them all… But that’s the goal. He’s such a fantastic writer, and often pigeonholed or categorised unfairly.. He sweeps across all genres with ease, and he mixes them together subtly and well. It’s not just horror folks!
3) I’ve had a poetry reblog page going for a little while, and I’ve never posted about it - so now seems as good a time as any to tell y'all, lol. You can pop over to @rarasreblogsbro to see some poems that catch my eye.
4) I can’t stop listening to Tokyo Narita (freestyle) by Halsey & Lido, it’s so much chill vibes and coolness 🎶💖
5) A little while ago, I brought tickets to see one of my all time favourite bands (Garbage) and it sounds ridiculous and corny, but I’ve literally waited close to half my life to see them live, to say I’m beyond excited is an understatement!
6) There aren’t many people who I can say I’ve fully let in, I don’t think anybody really knows me, because I keep them at a distance.
7) I had 2 spinal fusions when I was 16 and I have chronic pain because of it, and because of the conditions that brought on the surgery. I also have PTSD because of the way the first fusion failed, in a dramatic and frightening fashion, for a 16 year old I guess.
8) I feel like all these facts are terribly boring and no one will care to read them anyway. Lol.
9) Big picture wise, I need to get my shit together… But I never seem to have the motivation or will to make steps and do it. I loathe that about myself, so much.
10) I used to play the drums but I had to pack them away to make room for a new bed, I miss them a lot.
Here are my seven … only 7, lalloo? hey, i’m not complaining! ;)
1. Name a movie which made a strong impression on you and explain why. District 9…such beautifully horrific story-telling (and i mean that in a good way) …it made me so appalled and angry that i can’t bring myself to watch it again (i mean that in a good way) but any time i think about it, i get sad…it was brilliantly done
2. How would your best friend describe you? loyal and sometimes funny (i just asked)
3. What was the last book you couldn’t finish and why? ironically, Insomnia by Stephen King…it puts me to sleep. seriously. i have tried and tried and nope, i can’t read it
4. What is your favorite meal? Can you make it? i often say my favorite meal is any meal that someone else cooks for me :) i can cook, i do cook, but sometimes, i just don’t want to do any of it…
5. What is your fondest childhood memory? sitting on my sister’s paint-by-number panda picture as soon as she got done painting it. i was mad at her because she wouldn’t let me help so hey, guess she should have let me (look, i was 5, cut me some slack…but i had a panda on my pants! i thought it was hilarious! even though she didn’t. well, and mom didn’t think so, either)
6. Top 5 secret crushes?? Or not so secret? it’s no secret…Sandor Clegane/Rory McCann …my rogue understands, he thinks it’s adorable and weird that the one man i crush on almost as much as him is a fictional character, but he somehow wishes he was portrayed by anyone other than a Scotsman LOL (he’s Irish, there’s history)…i keep reminding him that Irish and Scots are practically family and he needs to get over it hahahahaaa
7. One thing you would change about yourself if you could? i am what i am…no use painting stripes on a toad, i’ll never be a tiger
you’ve never claimed to be perfect. your flaws tell your story, there is no need to hide them - Samantha King ( @_Samantha.King ) | “ born to love, cursed to feel “ by Samantha King is one of the most important books you’ll read this year. #vscocam #vsco (at New York, New York)
@herrfivehead GODS SAM AND FRODO I was so fucking disappointed about Sam marrying Rosie? Because it came out of fucking nowhere at the end of the Return of the King, after 3 entire books of “bromantic” interactions between them.
It’s like Tolkien re-read the books and thought “wait this sounds gay i gotta fix it” just before publishing.
birthday: march 9 ‘01
status: as in what. as in current state. i’m laying in bed and talking to dave. relationship-wise i’m single.
favorite subject: i like biology, science and zoology.
first three songs on shuffle: i don’t keep music on my phone, i just use pandora and spotify.
siblings: sister and a half-brother.
height: 5'1" - 5'2"
favorite color: yellow.
pets: two dogs, two cats, two rabbits, a lizard and whatever amount of animals i’m fostering at the time.
what time do i wake up: my school has very flexible hours so it really depends.
last thing i googled: do green tea cigarettes suppress appetite.
favorite books: cujo by stephan king and the year of meats by ruth ozeki.
favorite music artists: all the answers to this are embarrassing but i like folk punk and punk rock.
favorite tv shows: steven universe, grey’s anatomy, parks and recreation, the office and i’m currently watching skins.
dream job: surgical veterinarian for marine animals.
why i made my blog: i’ve had a tumblr since i was twelve, i don’t know. what.
lemonade or iced tea: fuck off i like both! but lemonade, probably.
cats or dogs: dogs.
coke or pepsi: don’t care.
day or night: night.
text or call: text unless i know somebody really, really well.
…Writers remember everything…especially the hurts. Strip a writer to the buff, point to the scars, and he’ll tell you the story of each small one. From the big ones you get novels. A little talent is a nice thing to have if you want to be a writer, but the only real requirement is the ability to remember the story of every scar.
Art consists of the persistence of memory.
The Dandelion Dynasty series:
The Grace of Kings &
The Wall Of Storms.
Wily, charming Kuni Garu, a bandit, and stern, fearless Mata Zyndu, the son of a deposed duke, seem like polar opposites. Yet, in the uprising against the emperor, the two quickly become the best of friends after a series of adventures fighting against vast conscripted armies, silk-draped airships, and shapeshifting gods.
Once the emperor has been overthrown, however, they each find themselves the leader of separate factions—two sides with very different ideas about how the world should be run and the meaning of justice.”
Ken Liu is one of the most lauded authors in the field of American literature. A winner of the Nebula, Hugo, World Fantasy, Sidewise, and Science Fiction & Fantasy Translation Awards, he has also been nominated for the Sturgeon and Locus Awards. His short story, “The Paper Menagerie,” is the first work of fiction to simultaneously win the Nebula, Hugo, and World Fantasy Awards. He also translated the 2015 Hugo Award–winning novel The Three-Body Problem, written by Cixin Liu, which is the first novel to ever win the Hugo award in translation.
The Grace of Kings, his debut novel, is the first volume in a silkpunk epic fantasy series set in a universe he and his wife, artist Lisa Tang Liu, created together. He lives near Boston with his family.