What is Motorcity?
Motorcity is a cartoon that was running on Disney XD for a while, before Disney mis-managed the crap out of it, then cancelled it and sat on the rights and didn’t do anything with them, like a bunch of jerks. It’s available on iTunes, and it’s also on kimcartoon (altho there’s an audio error in those. I’m thinking about uploading my corrected copies somewhere so people can get them?? stay tuned)
ANYWAY. In the Far Future, a guy called Abraham Kane (AKA Mark Hamill AKA Luke Skywalker AKA The Joker) decided he didn’t like Detroit and he wanted a new city there instead. So he built his new city over top of Detroit, called it Detroit Deluxe. Deluxe is run by Kane Co. which is run by Abraham Kane.
^^^ The difference between a villain and a supervillain??? PRESENTATION.)))
So now that the whole stupid “human rights” thing is out of the way upstairs, his only remaining problem is the people who would rather live under the city, in old Detroit AKA “Motorcity”. Kane’s like “well, time to destroy this dump and build More Deluxe! :)” and Motorcity is like “hey fuck u we literally live here” and Kane’s like “I don’t know I can’t read all of a sudden”.
Our main characters have chosen to combat his drones, nano-viruses and private army with COLORFUL AND ECLECTIC CARS. Our main is an ex-commander from the aforementioned private army, his name is Mike Chilton and I love him. He’s good at basically everything, and you would think that would make him obnoxious but actually he’s a reckless, adorable puppy-dog mom friend who likes helping and driving too fast and diving off buildings and believing in people. He’s also canonically mixed-race, so that’s kinda neat.
He’s a Good Boy.
(And yes, the people who did the character design were also involved in Gorillaz, personally I like the aesthetic of Motorcity way better but they are similar in a lot of places)
- it got cancelled, so there are only 12 episodes. And it does take an episode or two for it to get its feet under it.
- YMMV, but I would say the first episode I really really liked was episode 5. (And not just b/c the Duke of Detroit is a fukkin gift, holy crap)
- not enough ladies, and also they fall back on that thing that’s like “nerdy guy likes the Cute Girl, doesn’t take a hint” and it’s really annoying tbh. Both characters involved deserved better.
- Rule of Cool. This show makes 0 sense sometimes, you gotta lean into that to enjoy it tbh. It is a silly, silly show (until the finale, then it fukkin destroys me every time)
- Gorgeous, colorful backgrounds and character designs, super-unique style, #aesthetic for days.
- a really fun, varied cast.
- VILLAINS, the villains are so good. Mark Hamill’s villain voice-acting is second to none. A bizarrely flamboyant rock-star mob boss played by the lead singer of Twisted Sister, who is the embodiment of Chaotic Evil. A disillusioned eco-terrorist with fascinating bio-weapons and a ruthless/single-minded obsession with doing the same thing to Deluxe that Kane wants to do to Motorcity.
- If you don’t mind some silliness/Rule of Cool, the episode plots are fun and I enjoy them. :)
- Mike’s best friend is really anxious and scared of a lot of stuff and they’re adorably comfortable with each other and they have special nicknames for each other I’m sorry I have a lot of feelings about these nerds. (
can u tell what splickedy’s ship is lol)
- There’s a lot of room for character interpretation and backstory and stuff, and a lot of implied worldbuilding that’s super fun to build on.
- the creators are/were really cool with fandom, altho they’re busy with other shows now. (the head writer retweeted one of my videos!! :D :D :D I’m still super jazzed)
- in conclusion it’s cute I love it and I love the characters.