I'm working on an intensive project on Charles Jeanne and the June Rebellion as a proposal for this Masters program I'm trying to get accepted into. Any ideas for sources I should look into? I own A Cinq Heures Nous Serons Morts, and have access to the trial transcript. I've also read "Barricades: War on the Streets in Revolutionary France."
Oooh! That sounds awesome :D Hope you get accepted! And definitely keep me updated on this project!
Okay so, I don’t actually have that many sources either? I mean you already have the most important ones. But I’ll list what I can think of here.
Louis Blanc’s The History of Ten Years 1830-1840 (1841)
- Louis Blanc wasn’t an eye witness to the events but he was a contemporary
- available online in French and in English
Antoine Rey-Dussueil’s Le Cloître de Saint-Méry (1832)
- this is a work of fiction but it was published only months after the uprising and the appendices include actual eye witness testimonies, including an anonymous letter from Charles Jeanne, written while he was still on the run. (Jeanne’s letter starts on this page)
- available online in French
@barricadeur also posted these police reports about the uprising and @ellie-valsin shared these newspaper sources. And of course Chanvrerie.net has a whole bunch of resources about the uprising. (I recommend Alexandre Dumas’s memoirs even if they don’t really talk about Jeanne directly.)
Thomas Bouchet’s other June Uprising book Le Roi et les barricades (2002)
- criminally expensive but I managed to find it in my university library so it might not be that hard to track down?
Mark Traugott’s The Insurgent Barricade has some good stuff I think? Le Maitron Dictionnaire biographique du mouvement ouvrier français also has an article on Charles Jeanne and some of his comrades but I haven’t figured out how to access that yet so idk if how good it is….
Okay, I realise that these are all mostly about the uprising.For the prison resources… oh boy, I can’t even remember all the stuff I used in my posts. Much of it was just whatever I found online so I don’t know whether to really recommend those. I kind of hesitate to even link those posts here tbh because they’re really not reliable at all (or particularly well written). But well, you can fact check them yourself I guess, so here they are.
There’s also those letters I found on Ebay but I’d like to stress that I HAVE NO IDEA IF THEY’RE REAL. I’ve never seen any references to them anywhere.
Also if you need any map resources… well I have a whole another list of those :p