Solvent

anonymous asked:

I know this is probably a lil irritating to do but may you make a list of the equipment and materials you use to create with? like, paints, pencils, pens and canvases/boards and the whole shazam? thank you angel!!

Ok so I use:

For painting:
Winton oil paints, thick card, watercolour paper, MDF panels, linseed oil any brand, gesso for priming, turpentine, odourless solvent, any paintbrushes!

Drawing: HB pencils ranging from 2hb to 6hb, any paper, any rubber

Making pots: some fuckin clay, some water, some slip, metal tools to sculpt, sandpaper and a knife to shave and smooth.

chemical fumes

Yesterday I noticed the smell of ethyl acetate leaking from the undergrads’ bench and advised them to use it in the hood. This started a big conversation about chemical odors.

I discovered that my olfaction is (somewhat) keener than average people since I was young, and while it’s been going slowly downhill since I started working with smelly chemicals more than 4 years ago, I’d say it’s still pretty decent. My colleague Tom always jokes about how bad his sense of smell is especially after he started working in the lab.

So returning to ethyl acetate, a commonly-used solvent in organic chemistry. My first contact with this chemical is probably from a bubble-blowing paste I used to play when I was like 5 years old. And in middle school science lab I synthesized it by Fischer esterification where students were directed to detect the presence of it by the characteristic smell. To me, ethyl acetate has a fruity smell (some friends of mine said it reminded them of durian) which can be detected in small concentrations in the air. It is not particularly unpleasant, but it gets strong and unbearable pretty easily. It can get to a point where I can even sense a vinegary odor from the amount of acetic acid from the hydrolysis of it on contact with atmospheric moisture! For this reason I always have words about people using ethyl acetate outside the fume hoods.

Keep reading

1,4-Dioxane is a really useful solvent in the lab, since it dissolves most organics and it’s also miscible with water while most ethers are not. A bad point about it, that it is highly hygroscopic, forms peroxides upon standing and it is really toxic. Exposure may cause damage to the central nervous system, liver and kidneys.

If you would like to get out traces of water from it, than drop a large piece of sodium or potassium in it, add benzophenone and reflux the solution, till it turns deep blue, just as in this case: http://labphoto.tumblr.com/tagged/benzophenone

Solvent-in-Salt Key for Better Metallic Lithium Batteries

Lithium-based battery, a highly efficient energy storage device, has long been considered as promising power supply in various electric vehicles (EVs) and smart grid storage system. However, present available lithium ion technology could not satisfy the increasing demand on energy density. Metallic lithium batteries still exhibit the highest energy density among the secondary batteries. For instance, lithium-sulfur (Li-S) and lithium-oxygen (Li-O2) batteries have high theoretic specific energy of 2654 Wh/kg and 5217 Wh/kg, respectively. Li-S batteries are quite attractive as candidates for next-generation high-energy rechargeable batteries. However, there are still two key barriers to be overcome in Li-S batteries: one is how to avoid “shuttle phenomenon” due to polysulfide dissolution into the traditional liquid electrolytes, and the other is how to stabilize the metallic lithium anode owing to double damage from dendrite formation and the side reaction between lithium polysulfide and metallic lithium during cycling.

Read more: http://www.laboratoryequipment.com/news/2013/03/solvent-salt-key-better-metallic-lithium-batteries

Wow…water too clean to drink. I never thought about it but I guess it makes sense.

The Dangerously Clean Water Used To Make Your iPhone

Water is a good cleaner because it is a good solvent–the so-called “universal solvent,” excellent at dissolving all kinds of things. UPW (ultra-pure water) is particularly “hungry,” in solvent terms, because it starts so clean. That’s why it is so valuable for washing semiconductors.

It’s also why it’s not safe to drink. A single glass of UPW wouldn’t hurt you. But even that one glass of water would instantly start leeching valuable minerals back out of your body.