10 tips for making friends
1. Listen to people when they’re talking; show an interest in what they have to say.
2. Make an effort to remember peoples’ names and use them the next time you meet them.
3. Follow up with people you are interested in staying in touch with. Call them up, send them an email or arrange to meet for a coffee or drink.
4. Treat everyone the same – and as if they are the most important in the world (at least while you are talking to them).
5. Get involved in clubs and activities. Force yourself to go out and be with others.
6. In conversations, stick to safe topics before you know someone well. Don’t be quick to share your political or religious views, or to go on about your pet grievances.
7. Make sure you come across as someone who’s friendly the first time you meet someone new. Greet them warmly, smile, share your name and ask them theirs.
8. Be aware of other peoples’ culture and be sensitive to any potential differences. You don’t want to offend other people – either deliberately or inadvertently. The goal is to be seen as a person who is friendly, respectful and warm.
9. Don’t rush your interactions with people as that sends the message that you’re not interested in them, or what they have to say.
10. Don’t be false – just be your normal self. People would prefer to find out who you are.