Security is mostly a superstition. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
I’m thinking of starting up a little business.
I’ve tried and tried on getting jobs at places that sell products I have a passion for. The furtherest I’ve got was a trial. I obviously didn’t get the job. Man, I felt I got robbed. I tried to not be bitter but hell, I felt like I was the most deserving candidate (don’t we all). I knew the products, I am aware of the industry and I am an eager learner. Hell, I even applied to the same company twice, met people who already knew I had applied.
The most passionate piece of writing I have ever written was my cover letter. I was so proud of that letter. It was toooo fucking real. None of it was shit I just pulled out my ass, man.
So, I’ve attempted and took opportunities I saw.. Now, I’m going to stop at looking for opportunities. Instead, I’m going to make them happen. I’ve started slowly trying to build product/stock. — I’m sourcing out places.
My dig is that I source product from a vast range of clothing brands. I source out places where I can buy cheap product, yet be able to sell them at a profitable price — prices that are cheaper that the big retail chains yet can give me enough profit to keep this project going.
I’ve had this idea trolling around my mind for so long. What inspired me more was shopping at certain streetwear stores where I was being served by staff who think because they’re working at a hot spot that they automatically assign themselves high and mighty. That’s not the case. Keep it simple. Stay humble.
I was also inspired by the shop Saintside (city store). MAN, THEY HAVE CONSISTENT BEYOND STANDARD CUSTOMER SERVICE. The people there are so chill, you can walk in and staff will greet you like any other person. They don’t give a fuck if you’re walking in without knowing your streetwear, your sneaker-game.. I would go there and buy product there instead of going to somewhere cheaper with the same product (or even buy online), just because of their level of customer service. I have so much love for that store, I’m almost fan-girling over here.
At the moment, I don’t have a retail spot. For as long as I can run this, I’m going to start from scratch - from home (literally). I haven’t got a name or anything but my first few priorities is a business plan (to send out to brands who will support and for my own self reference) and growing my stock.
Of course I’m scared about this idea. I have no income — the money I have to be able to fund this is the money I get from working at my parents shop as well as the money I’ve saved from factory jobs I’ve had in the past. — I don’t want to bail on this idea, I find myself finding fear in what people might think about me starting this project overall and the overall possibility of failure and it being so transparent to other people. It psyches me out.
I’ve been doing some positive reading to keep my productive flow going. Here’s a few I’ve stumbled on (via Innovation Excellence)
1. “Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.” – Goethe
2. “Security is mostly a superstition. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.” – Helen Keller
3. “It’s not because things are difficult that we dare not venture. It’s because we dare not venture that they are difficult.” – Seneca
4. “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far it is possible to go.” – T.S. Eliot
5. “What you have to do and the way you have to do it is incredibly simple. Whether you are willing to do it is another matter.” – Peter Drucker
6. “Go out on a limb. That’s where the fruit is.” – Jimmy Carter
7. “I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it.” – Pablo Picasso
8. “Life is being on the wire, everything else is just waiting. – Karl Wallenda
9. “If things seem under control, you are just not going fast enough.” – Mario Andretti
10. “Don’t be afraid to take a big step. You can’t cross a chasm in two small jumps.” – David Lloyd George
11. “It is only by risking our persons from one hour to another that we live at all.” – William James
12. “Do one thing every day that scares you.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
13. “Trust your own instinct. Your mistakes might as well be your own, instead of someone else’s.” – Billy Wilder
14. “The dangers of life are infinite, and among them is safety.” – Goethe
15. “Do not fear mistakes. There are none.” – Miles Davis
16. “A man would do nothing, if he waited until he could do it so well that no one would find fault with what he has done.” – Cardinal Newman
17. “Test fast, fail fast, adjust fast.” – Tom Peters
18. “Never let the odds keep you from doing what you know in your heart you were meant to do.” — H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
19. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
20. “Leap and the net will appear.” – Zen Saying
21. “The way to develop self-confidence is to do the thing you fear and get a record of successful experiences behind you. Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.” – William Jennings Bryan
22. “Pearls don’t lie on the seashore. If you want one, you must dive for it.” – Chinese proverb
23. “Nothing will ever be attempted, if all possible objections must be first overcome.” – Samuel Johnson
24. “And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.” – Anais Nin
25. “Are you placing enough interesting, freakish, long shot, weirdo bets?” – Tom Peters
26. “Take calculated risks. That is quite different from being rash.” – General George Patton
27. “I can accept failure. Everybody fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying. Fear is an illusion.” – Michael Jordan
28. “Opportunity dances with those on the dance floor.” – Anonymous
29. “Yes, risk-taking is inherently failure-prone. Otherwise, it would be called ‘sure-thing-taking.’” – Jim McMahon
30. “People who don’t take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year. People who do take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year.” – Peter Drucker
31. “Necessity is the mother of taking chances.” – Mark Twain
32. “99 percent of success is built on failure.” – Charles Kettering
33. “Progress always involves risks. You can’t steal second base and keep your foot on first.” – Frederick Wilcox
34. “What great thing would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?” – Robert Schuller
35. “Every society honors its live conformists and its dead troublemakers.” – Mignon McLaughlin
36. “You can only be as good as you dare to be bad.” – John Barrymore
37. “Anything that is successful is a series of mistakes.” – Billie Armstrong
38. “Give me the young man who has brains enough to make a fool of himself.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
39. “If it’s a good idea, go ahead and do it. It’s much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.” – Rear Admiral Grace Hopper
40. “If you risk nothing, then you risk everything.” – Geena Davis
41. “Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” – Fyodor Dostoevsky
42. “Remember, a dead fish can float down a stream, but it takes a live one to swim upstream.” – W.C. Fields
43. “Take risks: if you win, you will be happy; if you lose, you will be wise.” – Anonymous
44. “To dare is to lose one’s footing momentarily. To not dare is to lose oneself.” – Soren Kierkegaard
45. “You’ll always miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.” – Wayne Gretzky
46. “It is only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves.” – Andre Gide
47. “Do not be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
48. “One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.” – Andre Gide
49. “Danger can never be overcome without taking risks.” – Latin Proverb
50. “I’ll play it first, and tell you what it is later.” – Miles Davis